WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Her Instagram blurb says the correct time: 54:7:48. Anybody know about her mileage yesterday, day 2?

Wake me up when it's over......*yawn
    Let's head for the roundhouse; they can't corner us there!

Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Some of us find the FKT idea exciting, interesting, inspiring. If it ain't your thing, there are plenty of other threads...

Day 2 was 29 miles.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Day 2 was 29 miles.
    Spoke briefly with her on Day 2, as I thought she was someone else I knew. It was not until much later that I realized she was Kathryn Jones. And then I was really shocked when I realized I saw her mid morning (perhaps 9:30'ish) just a couple miles north of Low Gap shelter (i.e., a few miles north of her Day 1 end point)! I was wondering how she was going to pull a 40 mile day with such a late/slow start. She looked great and seemed happy, but clearly based on the 29 mile day, something wasn't quite right. Hopefully she gets back on track and gives the record a good run.

I'm old, but not near as dumb as I thought.
    If you're going to be sponsored, pick a sponsor with decent gear.
    This is probably her sleeping bag. For use in a hammock. 2 pounds 4 ounces.
    http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/ka...cts=&color=173
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I will play Lone Wolfs role. She has zero chance of a FKT. 39 and 29 isn't getting it done. N. Ga with fresh legs should be easy 40 mpd. Will be interesting to she if she leaves the trail or finishes when the realization that the FKT is out of reach.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Ditto.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Correct! Only kids would dream up a new word to cover up their lack of knowledge. Just like portrait and landscape orientation when vertical and horizontal worked for centuries.
    Wayne

In fairness it has always been called the hash sign in the UK and much of Europe. I'm not sure where twitter was created, but if it is a European company it could explain why they chose to call it that.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I will play Lone Wolfs role. She has zero chance of a FKT. 39 and 29 isn't getting it done. N. Ga with fresh legs should be easy 40 mpd. Will be interesting to she if she leaves the trail or finishes when the realization that the FKT is out of reach.
    Yeah, definitely not on pace with those who have held the FKT. I would hope she finishes at whatever pace she can.
    I still have to respect the 39 + 29 = 68 miles. She could probably take 5 zeros and still be ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Finishing after realizing the FKT was too ambitious would say more about a person than setting the FKT.

Her feet are in bad shape -- she already lost a big toenail has major blisters. This according to Instagram. Seems a bit early for this kind of foot trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rmcpeak View Post
    Her feet are in bad shape -- she already lost a big toenail has major blisters. This according to Instagram. Seems a bit early for this kind of foot trouble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I saw the Instagram video. Too much too soon on feet not conditioned to such use/abuse? And/or perhaps ill fitting footwear? I wonder how this will affect her. I'm told runners often have toenail issues, so maybe this is just par for the course? I remember losing both big toenails to frostbite and boot impact many years ago. Wasn't terribly painful at the time, but I wasn't trying to hike 40 mpd after the incident either. The toenails took a long time to grow back and never grew back to quite the proper shape.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    ...Too much too soon on feet not conditioned to such use/abuse? And/or perhaps ill fitting footwear? ...
    This is what would be expected from a relatively inexperienced hiker trying to set a world record by doing huge miles right out of the gate. A serious record attempt would be by someone already in great shape, including their feet, wearing a shoe/sock combo perfectly suited to them, based on plenty of experience.

Malto is right.

Quote Originally Posted by soilman View Post
    Yawnnnnnnn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Call View Post
    Two voices of common sense. Yawn.

Some of us find the FKT idea exciting, interesting, inspiring. If it ain't your thing, there are plenty of other threads...
    Some of us find FKTs boringly predictable, overly-ambitious, and depressing. Why encourage this madness? I'm most interested in SKTs---slowest known times. Take 10 days to do a 20 mile trail. Where's the Whiteblaze forum on SKTs?

The AT will crush one's ego very quickly; that is for sure.
    Wrong. Ambitious endurance athletes with egos the size of Katahdin will use the AT to puff up their heads like a blowfish.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Some of us find FKTs boringly predictable, overly-ambitious, and depressing. Why encourage this madness?
    I don't think a few pages of posts on WB is what encourages or drives these people.

Two voices of common sense. Yawn.

Some of us find FKTs boringly predictable, overly-ambitious, and depressing. Why encourage this madness? I'm most interested in SKTs---slowest known times. Take 10 days to do a 20 mile trail. Where's the Whiteblaze forum on SKTs?

Wrong. Ambitious endurance athletes with egos the size of Katahdin will use the AT to puff up their heads like a blowfish.
    I don't know... JPD, Kirk, Anderson, Jurek, Meltzer all strike me as pretty humble, if you listen to what they say and watch how they carry themselves. I know, some will disagree about Jurek. Let's agree to disagree on that.

The ego/arrogance I was talking about is the belief that one can somehow overpower the trail, mentally smooth the rocks, flatten the hills.

Two voices of common sense. Yawn

Then those people probably aren't suited to a forum dedicated to trail running and speed hiking. Especially when there self declared interests are completely the opposite of that, and when they also seem to enjoy being argumentative and try to rehash discussions that have been had several times over about the way different people enjoy their time outside. Wouldn't you agree?

Quote Originally Posted by MrClahn View Post
    Then those people probably aren't suited to a forum dedicated to trail running and speed hiking. Especially when there self declared interests are completely the opposite of that, and when they also seem to enjoy being argumentative and try to rehash discussions that have been had several times over about the way different people enjoy their time outside. Wouldn't you agree?
    Yeah, this it's this "troll" phenomenon I just don't get. Someone earlier proposed an SKT forum. That's great idea! I hope they start it! Seriously. HYOH! I'm going to take my young kids out to the trail soon. We're going to attempt an SKT. Maybe Reed's Gap to Maupin Field in 8 hrs or something like that!

Journal Entries
    Images

Watching them run the AT is long and boring. It's more fun watching them attempt the Barkley Marathons. Even better when Lazarus Lake lights up a cig in their face before deflating their ego with the time sheet.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++