WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I freeze dry all my own meals. I figured out the other day that 1 lb of food equates to about 3 or possibly 4 lbs per day reconstituted.
    You have access to a Freeze Dryer? Wow, that's AWESOME...

Dang! I have only been able to get down to 24 # total with backpack, water for one day, food for five days, and everything that I have on or carry (meaning my shoes, socks, hiking poles, etc. .. skin out)

Glad I found this thread again. I learned a lot and have experienced a lot since then, personally and with my family.

In the next 20 months I plan on completing my first marathon and hiking the AT.

I haven't run in years (about 6) as I got injured and had a lot of other stuff going on. I was a personal trainer for 20 years and running used to be my sanctuary for many years. I have never been fast. Don't need to be fast. My goal is to complete a marathon. I have trained others for marathons. I'm back to running on Tuesday most likely. Tuesday has always been the first running day of the week for me. Monday is a rest day and the last day of my running week is Sunday as a recovery run from my distance run on Saturdays. Obviously my runs to start will be just base building. But that's the plan.

After completing a marathon I will have built a really good endurance base and then will switch over to training to thru hike in 2021 - adding a backpack, hiking consecutive days, and adding elevation training (which is difficult here as it's flat). There are a number of things that could prevent me from hiking in 2021 and no way I can thru hike in 2020. One issue is that I really wanted my husband with me last time and that was only supposed to be 30 days and he couldn't be with me. But there were other things going on also which added to the need to be with him. Like I said, a few things need to be taken care of for me to get on trail and then missing him would be my biggest hurdle to staying on trail. But I think we can work on that. He should be able to make several trips to meet up with me if I want him to.

There's some gear I will likely upgrade and some that simply needs replacing - like the puffy that's a bit long in the tooth and not as puffy as it once was (and not as warm). But there will be plenty of time for gear replacement.

The other thing is that I have been eating OMAD and studying about endurance athletes who eat the way we do - exercising in the fasted state, etc. And no, I am not planning on starving myself and eating just OMAD while thru hiking.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

im still building an UL pack, alot of great ideas in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    1lb of pure fat is only 3600 calories. 1lb of FD food like kiwis will have substantially less. How do you account for the calorie deficit?
    just rereading this thread and saw this. thought I would do some math here

1 lb = 453.5 grams
    90g of olive oil has 810 calories https://freecaloriechart.uk/calories-in-olive-oil/

453.5 grams/ 90 g = 5
    5 x 810 calories = 4050 calories in 1 pound of olive oil

I think the poster is conflating how many excess calories it takes to build 1 pound of body fat with the actual calorie composition of 1lb of fat we consume.

The other aspect is that while 1lb of kiwis (as mentioned in post) will freeze dry down to just a couple of ounces, perhaps less. 100g of kiwi has only 61 calories so a pound would have about 270 calories. But if you freeze dry that 1lb you will end up with just a couple ounces. Let's call it 2oz. So now 1 lb of freeze dried kiwi has 2160 calories (not using a calculator here). Not bad when you think about it. Plus kiwi has a ton of other healthy things in it. Same can be said for other fruits, veggies, and berries to make the meals more nutritious than a poptart or snickers bar and keep from getting bored with your food.

So how much weight does it cost you to carry 270 calories? Sounds about like what you would get from a snickers bar. That weighs more than 2 oz I am sure.

Also, somewhere in here or my freeze dryer thread I posted the actual FD weights vs pre FD weight for meats, eggs, etc. I want to say those foods ended up about 1/4 the weight of pre freeze drying.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
++ New Posts ++