WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

The heavier your pack, the more energy that will be required to carry it, and the more food that needs to be consumed. Sorta a Catch 22 situation. However 7 pounds of food for 7 days might be cutting it fine. Having said that, I bought some protein powder that provides the equivalent of 5 eggs in one spoonful, Chia seeds that will fill you up in no time, and 32g tree nut spread sachets that contain 837 calories of energy. On the other hand I could eat 30 pounds of lettuce and starve to death. I too don't eat pizza

You can get barley grass that's better than spinach, carob powder that's natural and loaded with carbs, and kale chips. If you do manage to starve to death you will at least look very healthy

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I am well aware of mountains. Been in the Whites many a time. I have a zpacks 40 degree bag, a silk liner, silk long johns (these things add like 10 degrees to ME) plus shorts and shirt for sleeping. A long sleeve and my puffy jacket that I used to wear exclusively in MA and NH in terrible temps and my head buff. I will be quite comfy down into the 30s and high 20's. Low 20's may be a little uncomfortable, maybe.
    Sorry to second guess you. Just concerned a bit as our northern blood thins out a bit after being in TX for a while Sounds like you got it covered. Have a great hike!

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Sorry to second guess you. Just concerned a bit as our northern blood thins out a bit after being in TX for a while Sounds like you got it covered. Have a great hike!
    Thank you. I hear that about the blood thinning! And I'm brave enough to admit when I make mistakes so I will post up a trip report when I get back.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

What foods have more calories per gram than pure fat?

Thank you. I hear that about the blood thinning! And I'm brave enough to admit when I make mistakes so I will post up a trip report when I get back.
    If hemoglobin was that important, us high altitude folks would be able to hike the AT on a sack of Snickers.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    If hemoglobin was that important, us high altitude folks would be able to hike the AT on a sack of Snickers.
    I think you misunderstood. Blood thinning comment has to do more with the ability to tolerate cold after having lived in a warm climate. You tend to get cold at higher temperatures. I remember visiting a friend who moved from MA to FL. As soon as the sun started going down, any time of year, she would have to put on a jacket. Whereas I am generally walking about with a long sleeve "warmth" layer, short sleeve shirt, my buff on my head and maybe thin gloves in 40 degree weather. And when I get warmed up I can sometimes pull off the warm layer.

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I think you misunderstood. Blood thinning comment has to do more with the ability to tolerate cold after having lived in a warm climate. You tend to get cold at higher temperatures. I remember visiting a friend who moved from MA to FL. As soon as the sun started going down, any time of year, she would have to put on a jacket. Whereas I am generally walking about with a long sleeve "warmth" layer, short sleeve shirt, my buff on my head and maybe thin gloves in 40 degree weather. And when I get warmed up I can sometimes pull off the warm layer.
    From personal experience:

It is possible to be so acclimated to the heat that the first night it dips into the low 80's, you pull out your polypropylene.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    From personal experience:

It is possible to be so acclimated to the heat that the first night it dips into the low 80's, you pull out your polypropylene.

LOL. I was a little worried this morning when I started my hike and felt "chilly" but really just on my arms. I stopped and pulled on a long sleeve and checked the weather app. I was happy to see it was 54 so grabbing a layer until warming up a bit wasn't too embarrassing. I wore it for about a mile and pulled it off.

Images

Yeah, I've noticed about a 5° difference in tolerance to the cold since moving to Ft Worth from NH 3 1/2 years ago. I go back up to my place in northern NH and I tend to wear warmer clothes than I used to. Age is also a factor. We elderly folk chill easily. I still tend to wear less in cold weather than TX natives do though. Some are so bundled up they look like Nanook of the North when the mercury dips below 60°.

Journal Entries
    Images

Mah fud fer seven days would weigh 20 lbs.

Fully loaded backpack with 7 days food is at 20.5lbs! And when I figure out that I don't need a backup canister of fuel, it should drop under 20 lbs!

Woo hoo! Looking forward to my trip in 2 weeks!

It's a myth, often promoted by those in warm climates, that living in a warm climate thins the blood. The viscosity of blood is not thinned by living in warm climates.

My pack is 2 lbs 8 oz. I can't really get much less than that unless I go to one of the new fabrics. And since my husband and I already bought me a new tent and sleeping bag from zpacks this year, a new backpack will have to wait until next year.
    2 lbs 8 oz. is a lot heavier than the packs that I used for my thru-hikes even back in the 1990s. In K-Mart for example, under kids school supplies are school book bags that are less than a pound. No special fabrics needed just plain nylon. If you keep your total pack weight in the 10 - 15 pound range, it is really all you need.

Wolf

Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's a myth, often promoted by those in warm climates, that living in a warm climate thins the blood. The viscosity of blood is not thinned by living in warm climates.
    Even the so-called "blood thinners" like Eliquis/Warfarin/Pradaxa, do not thin blood. They merely keep the blood from coagulating. Just sayin'.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Yes, I think most of us know that. But people do get acclimated to living in warmer climates. I would guess that there are both physiological and psychological components to how we experience "cold", and how that can change with age, acclimatization, etc.

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

won't be me! I don't eat pizza.
    lol you will...
    John GoodMan

There is such a thing as Hunting Reaction, which is an actual, physiological response (vasodilation) to cold, although there is probably wide variation among people from different parts of the world. And I suppose some diseases such as Reynaud's and Diabetes or others that affect circulation probably negate it.

I know that at the end of a winter during which I've been out a lot in very cold and/or sub-zero weather that 20°F feels rather balmy.

[QUOTE=Dogwood;2140061]It's a myth, often promoted by those in warm climates, that living in a warm climate thins the blood. The viscosity of blood is not thinned by living in warm climates.[
    Agree, I think it's more about a relative tolerance zone of high to low temps and the mind/body's adjustment to it's environment. If you live in Phoenix and tell yourself 115 deg isn't really that hot, it's a dry heat. A low of 80 deg might warrant a puffy.

Conversely, if you live in Boise and wear gym trunks in January to cool down, 65 degs warrants turning the AC on in the truck.

Blood composition doesn't actually change to any large degree, but what does change is vessel size, and more importantly, which vessels change. In cold climates, the body constricts surface vessels and dilates deeper vessels within the muscles. In cot weather, the reverse.

Also, the "thinning" comes about through more salt and saline being collected in a greater number of sweat glands in hot weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf - 23000 View Post
    2 lbs 8 oz. is a lot heavier than the packs that I used for my thru-hikes even back in the 1990s. In K-Mart for example, under kids school supplies are school book bags that are less than a pound. No special fabrics needed just plain nylon. If you keep your total pack weight in the 10 - 15 pound range, it is really all you need.

Wolf

Wolf
    Thanks. I certainly did pay big bucks for this pack so for now I am happy with it. I got it at an end of season sale at REI for $69 a few years back. It fits very well and is comfortable over all the terrain I have been on. Maybe I will check out the backpacks come "back to school" season and see how they fare for me.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++