WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Knobstone Trail

Quote Originally Posted by MacBrave View Post
    Yes, I did an overnighter on the the Bloodroot trail back in May of 2015. It was my introduction to solo backpacking. About 13 miles, really no hills to speak of. Just a nice stroll through the woods.

Not a lot of running water sources when I hiked it. Both of the campsites are near the lake, but up on a fairly steep slope IIRC. Speaking of the campsites there is a charge to use them ($10 IIRC) and you pay at a self-register board at the trailhead. The two campsites are the only legal place to camp along the trail. One of the campsites is quite large, a couple of picnic tables and a fire ring. Could easily accommodate 8-10. The other campsite was small; a fire ring, a wooden bench, and maybe enough flat/open ground for two tents.

Helping out on yer first post... thanks!

Sounds like a great place for a family trip... though a few of the hammock forums folks generally prefer 5 or less for a walk in so thinking of them some for that.
    https://secure.in.gov/dnr/parklake/f..._trail_map.pdf
    Although looking at the map it seems you could probably hike direct from the lot to the campsite and keep the distance lower if needed.

Nevermind... jumped on Google earth and you can see it/map it close enough.

Looks like a winner for both a potential group hang and a backpacking trip with the family.

Bloodroot has 6 campsites now if I remember right. Plan to stay at number 2 or hammock. 1 and 3-6 have very little flat ground. I don't remember any water sources, but if you can leave a vehicle at the south end of the loop you could cache in it, or cache near that lot if you can't park one there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++