WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

"I don't understand why folks make things complicated. The OP asked for suggestions from atkins to Damascus. They haven't hiked any of the at thru that stretch, the end point makes for a very simple logistical choice to get back to the car, and 17 miles of that choice is one of the most iconic stretches of the 2200 mile AT. People give great advice on here but with a forum comes too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Everyone gives their 2 cents and before you know it the OP has 100 bucks lol."

Gambit McKee--Please refrain from making assumptions about other posters. Some of us have both have both hiked the AT section in question (Fox Creek to Damascus) and also walked various connecting trails, including much of the nearby Iron Mountain Trail.

"What section of this is the best 17 miles so I make sure I don't miss it if I have to shorten the route at all?"

Staying exclusively on the AT, I especially like Fox Creek/Virginia Highway 603 to Elk Garden/Virginia Highway 600. That 16.9 miles passes through both designated wilderness areas, which are forested, and scenic open balds.

Or, continuing on the AT slightly further southbound, you could additionally visit open areas up on Whitetop Mountain. To do that you would end your hike at either Whitetop Mountain Road (19.4 miles from Fox Creek/VA 603), or at Beech Mountain Road/USFS 89 (22.6 miles from Fox Creek/VA 603).

If you instead decide to walk into Damascus. descending along the Virginia Creeper Trail rather than the AT, you will pass along a beautiful creek. But, while doing so you will probably find yourselves sharing that trail with many cyclists.
    Last edited by Siestita; 04-01-2017 at 15:00.

Right. I guess that's what I meant, but I didn't say it that way. We won't be hiking in the dark! They would have to catch up because chances are that someone ahead has their tent!

Great idea! I'll make sure I stay at least 2nd behind!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I don't understand why folks make things complicated. The OP asked for suggestions from atkins to Damascus. They haven't hiked any of the at thru that stretch, the end point makes for a very simple logistical choice to get back to the car, and 17 miles of that choice is one of the most iconic stretches of the 2200 mile AT. People give great advice on here but with a forum comes too many chiefs and not enough Indians. Everyone gives their 2 cents and before you know it the OP has 100 bucks lol

Heres what the op said:

:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmay08 View Post
    I am looking to take a group of 6 friends on a section this July. We have been advised to go between the Adkins and Damascus area to see many neat sites and still be a bit of a challenge. None of us have ever hiked any of the AT before. I need advise on where to park the trucks and where to start and finish. Really any advise you could give me would be great. We all visited a friend who gave us wonderful advise on gear, so we feel like we know that well, but as far as making the plans for the trip, we need some HELP!!!

Thanks so much!

What part of "any advice" dont you comprehend?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-30-2017 at 15:12.

Yes, any advise is fine!

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Heres what the op said:
    :
    What part of "any advice" dont you comprehend?
    Show me another trail that goes from Damascus to Atkins VA.
    Why give more complicated plans for inexperienced people that haven't even hiked the logical plan yet?

And to be REAL specific, the OP states that they have never hiked on the AT before, putting an emphasis on THE AT. AND WHERE TO PARK< IN TWO TRAIL TOWNS.

No where did the OP say " Hey I would like to park in a town that the AT goes thru, but would like to somehow get on some other trails, but then get back on a track to get to Damascus."

Even at that this is in the "trail towns and services" So what part of offering different routes falls into a town, or service? I guess none of us comprehended that part.

Way to be you muddy
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

"Show me another trail that goes from Damascus to Atkins VA."

No trail goes all the way, but the Iron Mountain Trail (AMT) can get a hiker over half way from Damascus to Atkins. However, the AMT is less scenic than the parallel section of the AT. So, for views, I believe either staying entirely on the AT, or perhaps instead doing a loop incorporating the Crest Zone adjoining Grayson Highlands State Park, would make more sense for our original posters then would focusing on the Iron Mountain Trail.

The original posters will travel to Virginia from Northwestern Ohio. They tell us they have will have five days available for their hike. Will some portion of that period need to be devoted to automotive transportation, reducing the trail time?

The OPs also tell us that they have consulted with a friend recently about gear selection. In other words this will apparently be their first backpacking adventure. So, in light of time constraints, perhaps this time visiting trail towns to simulate attaining a long distance "AT experience" should not be a high priority for them. Loop hikes require doing more planning that does staying exclusively on the AT. In compensation loops eliminate the need to spend time and money taking shuttles. The area in question offers scenic looping possibilities of varying lengths.
    Last edited by Siestita; 04-01-2017 at 16:47.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++