WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New Appalachian Trail Chaplain prepares for long journey - WDBJ7

New Appalachian Trail Chaplain prepares for long journey
    WDBJ7
    Matt Hall was recently hired as the Appalachian Trail Chaplain. He was picked to represent the Holston Conference of the United Methodist Church that includes nearly 900 churches from Southwest Virginia to Northern Georgia. Hall's mission is to ...

More...

Images

"[Name] was recently hired as the Appalachian Trail Chaplain."

Bogus. He was hired as a particular church group's chaplain. To be THE AT chaplain, he'd have to be hired by the ATC.

Heck, if some other religious group hires someone to be "THE" AT chaplain, what do they do? Duel it out at sunrise?

Pomposity. Or, hopefully, just bad, oblivious journalism.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Is this the same sky pilot that was going bring a band of merry proselytizers on the AT to spread their message and Baptize the newly-converted?

I guess I never figured the publicity would bring the preaching. I should have been more cynical....my bad....won't happen again...

Images

My gosh! . He is the Appalachian Trail Chaplain of a church conference. No association with the ATC was ever implied. Any Christian organization could appoint someone and call him their AT chaplain. It's just a title. I'm sure he will be a blessing to every one he meets on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketfoot View Post
    My gosh! . He is the Appalachian Trail Chaplain of a church conference. No association with the ATC was ever implied. Any Christian organization could appoint someone and call him their AT chaplain. It's just a title. I'm sure he will be a blessing to every one he meets on the trail.
    I'm not.....
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I hope that I meet him on the trail. I need to be exorcised.

I thought Circuit Rider was the unofficial chaplain of the AT.
    Shutterbug

So, for The UMC, you're appointed to a church. Since this dude doesn't have a church, for his conference (the region of churches he *could* be appointed to) he is *their* official AT chaplain. Just like an appointed hospital chaplain or Methodist University Chaplain.

I don't believe that UMC preachers do exorcisms (you can check the book of common prayer, I guess), but a blessing or prayer could be offered. They do house blessings, which I found really strange but is evidently very common in some rural areas.

I don't know if he'll be a blessing or not. The UMC is pretty split right now, with some liberal and some conservative, and you really don't know what you're gonna get when you talk to a UMC pastor. It's a weird time for the denomination. I mean, he should have a masters in divinity and some knowledge of ancient hebrew and Latin, so I guess there's that. And also like...theology. But as for what that theology is...it's a spectrum.

I don't *think* chaplains do much preaching, just like...offering comfort and stuff, but I was pretty dismissive of this when my mom told me about the appointment. I think it's dumb. But it's a thing that can happen and is definitely in the spirit of Francis Asbury and the circuit riders who started Methodism.

Source: UMC preacher's kid. And sister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post

Pomposity. Or, hopefully, just bad, oblivious journalism.
    There seems to be a lot of that going around.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

The collision of these padres is inevitable and likely to be very entertaining when the self appointed evangelical AT minister meets the self appointed reverend from the Nuke a Gay Whale for God group at the water pump.

I'll need popcorn for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    The collision of these padres is inevitable and likely to be very entertaining when the self appointed evangelical AT minister meets the self appointed reverend from the Nuke a Gay Whale for God group at the water pump.

I'll need popcorn for that.
    Which religion nukes the gay whales? Methodists? Seems harsh. I mean, not dancing is harsh. Not drinking soda is harsh. Not picking up a deck of cards is harsh. Not smoking is harsh, for some. But nuking gay whales? That's REALLY harsh.

I guess I never figured for Methodists ministering on the trail. Baptists, for sure on the trail. JW, probably on the trail. What I can't believe is that the LDS hasn't sent out it's YOUTH G+D SQUAD. The trail is a rather captive audience and those 18 year olds trying for their Elder badge would have a field day.

The thing is, I doubt any Sky Pilot is going to have an easy/welcome reception on the AT from some of the hikers. Many, if not most, seek escape from their normal lives by hiking the AT. And I, at least, do not want any religion being presented to me, without invitation, in any manner whatsoever on the trail. If somebody comes up and says "Where do you want to spend eternity?", I don't think they will be quite prepared for the graphic answer of exactly where I would like to spend eternity and exactly what I would like to be doing for all of eternity. Just sayin....

Im pretty sure a chaplain's job is not to try to convert people, but to offer comfort to people who may be in the woods "for a reason" and need someone to talk to.

Again, I'm not the expert, but I DO think I'm more of an expert than 99% of y'all.

Besides, methodists are just not big on the whole "eternity" question. We get real uncomfortable when people start talking about hell.

(Does anyone here actually read previous comments? I don't think y'all do.)

That is my understanding of what a chaplain does as well.

Images

I believe my biggest issue with things like this is that the purpose of the AT, "A footpath for those who seek fellowship with the wilderness", should not be compromised. There is an expectation of quiet enjoyment of the wilderness (or illusion thereof), without the many intrusions of civilization, which includes uninvited and unsolicited ministering, witnessing, proselytizing, etc. by religious representatives. If I need a chaplain or minister, I think I can find one on my own - under a steeple in the nearest town.

Quote Originally Posted by Honkie View Post
    I hope that I meet him on the trail. I need to be exorcised.
    possession is 9/10

Quote Originally Posted by Bucketfoot View Post
    It's just a title. I'm sure he will be a blessing to every one he meets on the trail.
    Will he bless me with whiskey and spring time weather all year? nope.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Will he bless me with whiskey and spring time weather all year? nope.
    Only Methodists!

Perhaps worth the price of conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by la.lindsey View Post
    he should have a masters in divinity
    So he's a chef?

Im pretty sure a chaplain's job is not to try to convert people, but to offer comfort to people who may be in the woods "for a reason" and need someone to talk to.

Again, I'm not the expert, but I DO think I'm more of an expert than 99% of y'all.

Besides, methodists are just not big on the whole "eternity" question. We get real uncomfortable when people start talking about hell.

(Does anyone here actually read previous comments? I don't think y'all do.)

It's this particular type of presumption of ministers that I have a problem with. The presumption is just what you typed-that there are people who are in the woods "for a reason" and therefore they must need someone to talk to. And, the presumption continues that the need to talk to someone is the need to talk to somebody Prostestantly Christian. It makes you feel sorry for the Jews....there aren't any wandering Rabbis to minister to the wandering Jews in need. And, why is it that there aren't any wandering Priests? I mean, the HRCC is all about ministering to the Parishoner's needs. Could it be that neither Judaism nor Catholicism actively seeks recruits? Hmmmm........my cynicism is kicking in....but...if that is true, then why the hell isn't the LDS on the AT?????

I wish I was that smart.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++