WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Images

I know the hostel is popular with NoBos, but don't forget the SoBos who would like a shower and a real bed after they finish their hike.

Sent from my SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

The way I see it you can either pay their price or stay some where else. IMHO the new owners may discover that their bread and butter business early in the year (before Memorial Day) won't stay with them. Come June, the city dwellers may use their place, butt how many will pay $40 + dollars a night for a bunk bed with share bath and shower facilities?
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    The way I see it you can either pay their price or stay some where else. IMHO the new owners may discover that their bread and butter business early in the year (before Memorial Day) won't stay with them. Come June, the city dwellers may use their place, butt how many will pay $40 + dollars a night for a bunk bed with share bath and shower facilities?
    Just my guess: after this hiking season is over, they will completely redo the hostel cabins. The discrepancy between their new target clientele and thru hikers can't be much more stark.

There's an opening for a new hostel, but I don't see how anyone could open a new one and have it anywhere near as economical as this one was simply due to startup costs.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Just my guess: after this hiking season is over, they will completely redo the hostel cabins. The discrepancy between their new target clientele and thru hikers can't be much more stark.

There's an opening for a new hostel, but I don't see how anyone could open a new one and have it anywhere near as economical as this one was simply due to startup costs.
    That could be the reason behind Josh and Leigh selling the place, but I do not want to speculate. The general overhead alone had to have been high. Josh and Leigh were such nice people and I am sure that they didn't want to raise the cost to such a level that hikers could not afford to stay with them. I wish both of them well in their future plans.
    Blackheart

They've rebranded and are called Barefoot Hills Hotel. I think the quicker we all acknowledge this is an entirely different entity, and not a hiker hostel, we can move on. There is a lot of money to be had in north GA, and it doesn't come from thru hikers. I just hope the guidebooks recognize this so they can take it off their list for next year.

Journal Entries

the place is in the middle of nowhere, out in the woods

they either got to make money by being a quiet, exclusive resort/spa...which it aint
    or shuttling people around to places to do things, and being a bargain..which they dont seem to want to do

I dont see the business model personally for the location.....

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    They've rebranded and are called Barefoot Hills Hotel. I think the quicker we all acknowledge this is an entirely different entity, and not a hiker hostel, we can move on. There is a lot of money to be had in north GA, and it doesn't come from thru hikers. I just hope the guidebooks recognize this so they can take it off their list for next year.
    The new owners offer a thru hiker package so why take it off the list? It is $210 per person for a standard bunk or part of another package purchased, extra hikers using shuttle pay an additional $100. You may not like or want the option but it is an option.
    One night in one of our accommodations (based on the package purchased)Pick up from North Springs MARTA at either 1:30 p.m. or 6:30 p.m. ETComplimentary Continental Breakfast ServedShuttle to and from resupply store (20 minute stop)8:30 a.m. ET next day shuttle to either Amicalola Falls State Park or Springer Mountain Parking Lot

Standard Bunk Bed – $210 + taxEco Cabin – $300 + taxStandard Guest Room – $310 + taxLog Cabin – $320 + taxDeluxe Guest Room – $325 + taxDeluxe Eco Cabin – $350 + taxDeluxe Bunk Room (accommodates 4 guests) – $500 + tax*Please note tax is 12% (5% hotel and 7% sales)

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    The new owners offer a thru hiker package so why take it off the list? It is $210 per person for a standard bunk or part of another package purchased, extra hikers using shuttle pay an additional $100. You may not like or want the option but it is an option.
    One night in one of our accommodations (based on the package purchased)Pick up from North Springs MARTA at either 1:30 p.m. or 6:30 p.m. ETComplimentary Continental Breakfast ServedShuttle to and from resupply store (20 minute stop)8:30 a.m. ET next day shuttle to either Amicalola Falls State Park or Springer Mountain Parking Lot

Standard Bunk Bed – $210 + taxEco Cabin – $300 + taxStandard Guest Room – $310 + taxLog Cabin – $320 + taxDeluxe Guest Room – $325 + taxDeluxe Eco Cabin – $350 + taxDeluxe Bunk Room (accommodates 4 guests) – $500 + tax*Please note tax is 12% (5% hotel and 7% sales)
    You are correct. I guess I could rephrase saying that this new hotel shouldn't be compared or associated with the Hiker Hostel.

Images

I think they'll learn their lesson after the first year, as others have.

To cite one example, I stayed at Black Bear Resort near Hampton, TN during their first year in business. Little bit different situation there: it was family owned, great people, they had done all the renovations themselves and prices were reasonable ($50/night for 1-room cabin w/ no electricity, shared bathroom).

Came back next year and things had changed considerably. Part of the main building had been turned into a bunkhouse where hikers could stay for $20/night, they had a tenting area for $10/night, they had a room with games, fridge, computer and TV, plus a new camp store with lots of hiker oriented resupply items.

My guess is the family took over and originally intended to turn the place into a mountain resort, then wised up after realizing who most of their clientele were.
    It's all good in the woods.

Continental breakfast? Another downgrade. Hikers need protein. Not going to get that from bagels and a cheese Danish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Putting it into perspective for myself, a stay at the 5 star Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel in the heart of Cape Town, South Africa, costs $335 for a Deluxe room with 2 guests and buffet breakfast plus a selection off an a la carte menu.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Putting it into perspective for myself, a stay at the 5 star Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel in the heart of Cape Town, South Africa, costs $335 for a Deluxe room with 2 guests and buffet breakfast plus a selection off an a la carte menu.
    The cost of the rooms don't seem too bad -- $86.25 for a real bed with a private bath, or even $42 they are charging for a bunk (if it is a step above hiker grunge quality).

It's the cost of the shuttle that wil get you.
    Last edited by rickb; 08-15-2017 at 04:43.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Price hostels and tent sites in the Denver Recreational Metro Area (RMNP, Frisco, Breck, etc.) in August. $40 is about the mean price for shared Hostel space. Tent sites with pit toilets and piped water somewhere are $20. Showers and flush toilets can double the price.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    I think they'll learn their lesson after the first year, as others have..
    Completely agree with this....we learned so much owning Green Mountain House that first year.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

I don't begrudge the new owners operating it the way they think will maximize their profit. I'm all for profits. I do think I am lucky because I was there this past spring during Josh and Leigh's last week there. It was great to meet them. Hope our paths cross again. They seem like really terrific people. I got to hang and talk with Leigh a little. It was clear they needed to "move on to the next thing" for them, even if that meant a month long nap!

I do feel the loss to the hiking community with the increase in pricing etc.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Does anyone know how to reach Josh and Leigh?

With all the increases in pricing for this hostel I would think starting your hike with a night at the Amicalola Lodge at the State Park would be comparable. A private room and bath, great dining room serving breakfast, lunch, and supper and best of all walk out the front door and be on the Approach Trail in about 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post

I think that is a very astute observation. This is definitely no longer a Hostel, but it doesn't mean its no longer hiker friendly. As I peruse their site I see lots of ovations to the hiking community. The thru hiker deal, albeit more pricey, is prominently displayed. Perhaps there is a market here none of us saw- that the stereotype of the grimey old salt is just that- stereotype.

I hiked through the Alps many years ago, and was paying these prices on a relative basis then. Everything Euro is more expensive though but perhaps a new trend here for everyone to take notice.

Quote Originally Posted by EuroPacker View Post
    I think that is a very astute observation. This is definitely no longer a Hostel, but it doesn't mean its no longer hiker friendly. As I peruse their site I see lots of ovations to the hiking community. The thru hiker deal, albeit more pricey, is prominently displayed. Perhaps there is a market here none of us saw- that the stereotype of the grimey old salt is just that- stereotype.

I hiked through the Alps many years ago, and was paying these prices on a relative basis then. Everything Euro is more expensive though but perhaps a new trend here for everyone to take notice.
    Good point. While I haven't doe a thru and only do weekend hikes so far, I can definitely tell that today's hiker community is not what I was expecting. I think they are MUCH more affluent and willing to spend a little more than previous generations. Seriously, 20 years ago would one of the most popular tents have been a $600 tent vs $150 tent just to save 1-1.5 lbs?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Does anyone know how to reach Josh and Leigh?

They're in Maine somewhere right now. Hiking I believe.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
++ New Posts ++