WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default campsites in NC - Beauty Spot/Deep Gap area?

Hi all,
    my buddy and I are planning a NB section hike between Hot Springs and Roan Mtn and have gotten conflicting data about the subject area (354 to 355 miles from Springer). Is anyone familiar with this area and can advise on a good campsite? We know Beauty Spot has a camping area but is there car traffic along the USFS road? Is there a quieter campsite further on in the Deep Gap area? We'd prefer not to climb Unaka Mtn that same day (especially with no water on top).
    Thanks in advance for any tips!

Some hikers were held at gun point at the beauty spot a few years back by some crazed local. There's a road right up to the top of the bald there.

About 14 mile north there are some tent sites, but that is where I weathered a thunderstorm in the middle of the night, which ripped out my tent stakes and I though if I were ever to die in the woods, that was the night it was going to happen. Another mile up the trail are some better campsites, down in a little hollow, with a spring.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Some hikers were held at gun point at the beauty spot a few years back by some crazed local. There's a road right up to the top of the bald there.

About 14 mile north there are some tent sites, but that is where I weathered a thunderstorm in the middle of the night, which ripped out my tent stakes and I though if I were ever to die in the woods, that was the night it was going to happen. Another mile up the trail are some better campsites, down in a little hollow, with a spring.
    I mean 1/4 mile north, not 14!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    What is LNT protocol for that situation? Do you cat hole your soiled undies? Pack them out?
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

There's an amazing spot to camp atop Unaka. You'll have to carry your water up there but you'll be rewarded by a night in the enchanted forest...

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

The road is open over Unaka Mt. now so there will be traffic up to Beauty Spot and along all the campsites proximal to the road. If running into partying locals isn't enough to deter you consider that every car that goes by stirs up an enormous cloud of dust if it's dry.

2nd the suggestion to camp on top of Unaka. If you're hiking north there's a spring right at Deep Gap and the climb up from there isn't too bad. If you're hiking south grab some water at Cherry Gap shelter.

++ New Posts ++