WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    For you New Skin users, do you pop the blister before you start applying it or can you apply the new skin to an unpopped blister?
    I pop and then apply. Burns so good. You could put it on unpopped but then you still have to deal with the pain from the pressure. I would imagine it might work like tape if you feel a hotspot, put 2-3 layers of new skin over the hotspot and keep on trucking.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    I pop and then apply. Burns so good. You could put it on unpopped but then you still have to deal with the pain from the pressure. I would imagine it might work like tape if you feel a hotspot, put 2-3 layers of new skin over the hotspot and keep on trucking.
    I'm not sure what good it would do if you didn't pop the blister. The purpose of New Skin is to close open wounds, which would be the drain hole you create to remove the fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    I'm not sure what good it would do if you didn't pop the blister. The purpose of New Skin is to close open wounds, which would be the drain hole you create to remove the fluid.

I agree on the intended purpose. The thought was that the new skin would create multiple layers for the friction to rub against rather than the skin that the hotspot is on. May work, may not. Just an idea.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Are you removing the entire cover of the blister, then applying?

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Are you removing the entire cover of the blister, then applying?
    I usually pop the blister with my knife, drain, then new skin. I did have two last year that had already popped and the skin was gone so I put it directly over the area.

I know you should stop as soon as you feel a hot spot but we were running as fast as we could to get off a ridge in a lightning storm. By the time we got to Whitley Gap Shelter, it was too late for the feet.
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'

depending on the location there are many different things you can do but if they are inbetween the toes and not where your foot is rubbing the actual boot toe socks help alot as well as you should use some of these other suggestions given. The best method is use these before the blisters really can form so some rest and healing time would be the best long term solution but well taking 0's is not always possible.

I was hiking with 3 other guys down on the southern end of the trial. I noticed the 20 something was starting to lag behind and he was always the fast one. So I asked him what was wrong and he said blisters. I gave him my bottle of New Skin and three days later we couldn't keep up with him again.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

So I'll pickup new skin when I can.
    Till then, clean it, bandage it somehow, then tape over the bandage; correct?

Change bandage as often as possible

I've never had to deal with them on a long hike, but watching some hiking vids on youtube (Evan's Hiking Videos I think it was)
    he was struggling with them for a while.... using antibiotic creams and such. Finally visited a doc in a town, who showed him how to properly bandage and keep dry (no creams or ointments) and keep them dry. Seemed to work for him and I think it seems plausible....

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    Hiked with a guy for a month who was just blisters all day every day. Everyone gave him all kinds of advice, it was kind of a trail hobby event. Eventually, he switched boots and the blisters stopped.
    yeah, probably like sea-sick advice on scuba dive charter boats..... everybody has a solution, when all the person really wants is to be left alone!

I like new skin. I have found, however that duct tape works great if you put a large enough piece on.

Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

I used to get blisters before I..........
    -switched to over sized trail runners a full size larger.
    -wash feet mid day and soak in stream if available, reapply body glide with every sock change.
    -alternate socks mid day, wash other pair hang on pack to dry for next morning and repeat.
    -remove shoes and socks during breaks..rarely get blisters anymore but if feel a hotspot stop clean feet and apply leukotape...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++