WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Well I'm out :(

Default Well I'm out :(

Wife and I were loading everything up in my Excursion to head down to GA. and then an hour later... we weren't.

We were going over the last of the things before we left and started loading everything into my pack. Everything fit well, but then we noticed the food bag had never been put in. There was no room for it. My 65L pack was full and the food didn't fit.

That was when we stopped, we just sat there not knowing what we had done wrong. Eventually we just said to each other "We've messed something up somehow" and then admitted that we might not be ready to do this. Even if my food bag fit there was still the issue of there not being enough room for my little pup for when she can't walk (rain, snow, rocks).

So it is with that I have to quit. If I can't figure out how to pack my pack then I'm a failure and can't go. No idea where to go from here, this is really killing me
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Sounds to me like you're making last minute excuses. Don't let the butterflies and doubts stop you. Pack your gear as best you can and go. If you gotta strap your food issue your pack for a bit, so be it. You're figure it out as you hike. You CAN do this...
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

....Strap your food outside your pack....
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Start doing some section hikes, figure out how to change your pack list...learn...adjust.

You aren't a failure unless you never set foot on the trail at all. Don't quit...adapt.

Can't imagine how you are feeling, to be honest, but (God willing!!!) there is a path forward.

Is that really an option? Right now all I have is my Fly Creek UL2, my sleeping bag, cookset (one pot micro rocket and fuel can), rain jacket, and puffy coat. For having a 65L (Osprey atmos 65 AG) pack and it being plum full amazes me. It doesn't seem like there is anything I can cut from my gear to make it any better either. We just sat in the living room and pondered for a good hour trying to make it work and nothing.
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Journal Entries

Put tent, sleeping pad outside
    Leave pup
    Youll figure things out as you go
    Youre making excuses....
    They will help at mountain crossings on day 3 if you havent figured it out...
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-26-2017 at 03:43.

In a 65L bag there is always something you can cut or ajust to make room. Repacking things and saving a tiny bit of space can add up as well. If you have to do without something because there are people out there who are only carrying like 10lbs base weight and so forth. Gear is not everything its knowing what you NEED vs what you want. Knowlage makes up for what you dont bring majority of the time besides luxories. Post your gear list and possibly someone can help.

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    Wife and I were loading everything up in my Excursion to head down to GA. and then an hour later... we weren't.

We were going over the last of the things before we left and started loading everything into my pack. Everything fit well, but then we noticed the food bag had never been put in. There was no room for it. My 65L pack was full and the food didn't fit.

That was when we stopped, we just sat there not knowing what we had done wrong. Eventually we just said to each other "We've messed something up somehow" and then admitted that we might not be ready to do this. Even if my food bag fit there was still the issue of there not being enough room for my little pup for when she can't walk (rain, snow, rocks).

So it is with that I have to quit. If I can't figure out how to pack my pack then I'm a failure and can't go. No idea where to go from here, this is really killing me
    Figure it out! Clearly uou can shakedown your contents. Pull the Sleeping Bag out of its stuffsack and the close too. One set of close for hiking and mother for sleeping and rotation. Pack all loosely in a compactor bag. You will get allot of extra space by just doing that. Give up my ass! Learn...you'll be doing allot of that all along the trail....you'll be fine.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sorry for the typos

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sounds like a very bad case of Fletcheritis. Colin Fletcher, look him up. One of the worse I've ever seen. I had it on the start of the Long Trail but I got over it quick enough.

Leave the dog, dog food and dog gear. It is going to be difficult enough for you to make it, impossible for you and your pup. You just had an instance of unrealistic expectations meeting harsh reality. Deal with it.

A 65L pack is MORE than enough to do an AT thru. More than enough. Period. If you can't fit all your gear inside, then you are doing something very very wrong. Strap your tent to the outside of your pack, put your tent poles in a side pocket, carry your hydration outside, carry your rain gear in an outside pocket, strap your camp shoes on the outside, hang your mess kit outside, WHATEVER! Honestly, WTH are you carrying? Did you even bother to weigh that dang pack? How much does your food bag weigh?

For all the time you spent posting about your thru, you could have been shaking down your gear and doing some training hikes...

Epic. Fail. Before. Even. Starting.

Cue the violins....

maybe lower your expectations a bit. go to daleville and start walking, or harper's ferry and try to make it back home.see how it actually feels. you'll be amazed at how fast you figure out what you need once you get a little more practice. good luck

Most of us have had some epic fails and serious doubts. Keep working towards your goals and things will work out.
    My first attempt at solo hiking...I ended up sleeping in my car.

Images

If you are driving, stop at Mountain Crossings before you start hiking. They can offer lots of good information regarding your backpack and contents.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Images

Animal carried his food in a five gallon bucket, problem solved.

You are quitting way to easily. I had that exact problem when I first started out. I had a 60l pack and for the life of me couldn't get everything into it. And, I didn't think I was carrying all that much. I can now pack for about 8 days in the 55l pack I have including a bear can. So, this can be done. Basically, it is this website that helped me learn how to do it.

Post your gear list here. Post everything you have. People will chime in quickly. Odds are pretty good that you are carrying some things you don't need and other things that can be a quick fix. You really should be able to get everything inside a 65l pack, so you are doing something wrong, but rather that quit, look for advice.

Repack your food. Crush it and put it into ziplocks. 60% of it is dead air.
    Not sure why you complicating life and taking a puppy with you
    I have a 55L backpack and have room left over for goat. You gotta get macho jamming the stuff in

I finished my thru with an Atmos 65 and had plenty of empty space. I don't want to discourage you but maybe you really aren't ready to go and you know it deep inside. I suggest that you delay your thru and do some shakedown hikes. I believe the reason many are unsuccessful in completing a thru is because they weren't prepared. Many of the posts on this web site can be answered by just going out and doing some backpacking before one starts out on a 5-6 month epic hike.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    Animal carried his food in a five gallon bucket, problem solved.
    I bet the dog would fit too!

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    Right now all I have is my Fly Creek UL2, my sleeping bag, cookset (one pot micro rocket and fuel can), rain jacket, and puffy coat. For having a 65L (Osprey atmos 65 AG) pack and it being plum full amazes me.
    Well, apparently you have more than what you listed.

Why in the world would you take a puppy on a Thru hike? That's borderline animal abuse! Your puppy thanks you for quitting.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++