WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Well I'm out :(

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

This site helped me a bunch:

http://www.backpacking.net/27-pound.html

My kit winds up a little different, and a little lighter, but most of the basics are very similar. I do carry either a hammock or a Henry Shires Tarptent - I don't skimp on comfort one bit.

Two thoughts:
    May 1. Statistically the start date with the best chance of success.
    Lighten yourself for free. Lighten your pack for free by removing unneeded things.
    All the best to you.
    MissAtomicBomb is a Keeper!
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Hey llittle llama, I hike with my dog too. Like the Nike ad. JUST DO IT!

I also have some ptsd issues and would never go without my dog. She allows me to hike, I'm not just bringing her along. She is not "packable" though- 65 pounds of wiggle and wag. LOL.

Some things I've found helpful with her, not all applicable to you perhaps, but others may benefit
    1) flexi leash. (Retractable, I loop it through my hip belt and keep hands free for poles, or around camp I use a loop to attach around waist. She stole someone's cheeseburger once and I had to give up my dinner. Who leaves a cheeseburger unguarded around thru hikers? Just sayin...)
    2) small collapsible dish for water during rest stops (8oz sea to summet collapsible cup- can now find similar cheaper in pet stores)
    3) small egg crate type sleeping pad for her- she'll try to push me off mine otherwise.
    4) ruff ware brand raincoat. This is great for cold wet windy rain on the trail. I check under her coat frequently for too cold or too hot and layer her appropriately.
    5) ruffware brand fleece jacket , at times used with rain coat. For when temps are below 40.
    6) kibble is blue buffalo- she likes it and it's nutrient dense. May need to do some "stir ins" first few days - I just dump in some of my food- to crank up appetite for first few days. Agree with previous post-try new foods at home first if possible. Some one gave my pooch a power bar and she farted all night.
    7) bring vet info, hard copy or at least photo on phone, hope you never need it. Hard copy rabies certificate.
    8) my vet gave me antibiotics in case needed.
    9) read up on tick removal, porcupine quill removal, skunk spray best solutions,etc. screen shot info onto phone.
    10) appropriate heart worm, flea and tick preventative.
    11). My dog is known to roll in poop- wheeee! - be aware some soap may be required before bedtime snuggles.
    12) I don't bring her "lovey" toy anymore -she has enough to sniff at being outdoors and just ignored it
    13) 2 person tent. She is protective of her space and me, my stuff. Tent just works best. Have slept in shelter during storm with other hikers ok. I had her on leash around my waist while sleeping, just in case a coyote or bear wandered by.
    14) small back pack for dog. Vet recommends not more than 15% ideal body weight.
    15) I sleep with sleeping bag open over me, like a quilt with a foot box. My dog will snuggle under if it gets cold- we were comfy when everyone else was freezing. Great hot pack.
    16) almost forgot- do not have dog hard clipped, attached to you when going down steep stuff- dog can easily pull you off balance and crash!

In summary, wow hiking with a dog is a pain in the ass! But I wouldn't go without her

My Dori is a 10 yr old cattahula leopard cur mix from the pound. We've been besties for 10 years.

Hiking with a dog is a privilege, not a right. Respect others, take care of your dog and she will take care of you.

Happy hiking with your pup.

Just saw the shrimp ramen video. Bless you wife.

I have been wanting to do a thru-hike for the last 10 years, but things have never quite worked out logistically... Either I didnt have the money or the time to do, but looking could have totally made it work. I used to kick myself for not trying... Then this year, the stars aligned and my wife and I have finally made the time to make this happen. We will start our thru hike in just over 3 weeks, and have had to make some pretty big sacrifices to make this happen. But we realize as we get older life get older, carving out time for a thru hike is going to be more complicated and likely require even greater sacrifices. My point is... if you are in a place to do it now, then you may find that you might not have any better opportunities as you get older and it is only going to get harder. You were in the car on your way.... I say go for it!

And for a practical tip... Everyone is mentioning the size of your synthetic sleeping bag. If you an REI member, then you can buy a decent down bag right now for 20% off. Search their down bags... but this one would probably work well and is pretty light.
    https://www.rei.com/product/111165/r...5-sleeping-bag

Good luck! You will figure it out. I hesitate to have an opinion because I have not done anything as long as the AT but... my first thru-hike was the John Muir Trail. I know it is SO much shorter, but arguably you need the same things to walk 200 miles as to walk 2,000. I thought I was down to the minimum, but no. I had a resupply on day 6 or so and mailed half the food resupply and probably 5 lbs of gear home and was good to go. I decided to view this as a natural part of the learning process rather than an embarrassing failure. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Two thoughts:
    May 1. Statistically the start date with the best chance of success.

Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've never heard that, so now I'm curious why that is so? My first thoughts lead toward overall better weather

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eggymane View Post
    I've never heard that, so now I'm curious why that is so? My first thoughts lead toward overall better weather
    Most people start a hike in March (60%)

You can find the statistics here: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/content...ion-by-Section

I haven't seen success number by start date. I just find it hard to believe that a May 1 date would be the most successful date considering it takes the average person 6 months to complete the AT.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post

You can find the statistics here: https://whiteblaze.net/forum/content...ion-by-Section

I haven't seen success number by start date. I just find it hard to believe that a May 1 date would be the most successful date considering it takes the average person 6 months to complete the AT.
    One possible theory is that its warmer, so you take less clothing and gear so your pack is lighter weight. You can walk farther per day with more energy. Since you are carrying less weight, you can walk faster without injuring yourself. Since you are walking faster, further, without injury, you finish way quicker than 6 months, more like in four months.

Makes sense, doesnt it? People who start early, who have no experience hiking in cold weather, rapidly get sick of being cold and wet for days on end and decide hiking isnt for them.

Ask map man he knows.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

What are the statistics for foreigners completing the distance?

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Ha, good question. I'd speculate that it's better than the norm. A bit harder to pull off than the norm, but for that very reason, there may be more motivation to finish.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Depends on if you can get through Customs with your hiking poles and meat products and don't run into Ted Kaczynski on the trail
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Just quit. Simple as that. No problem, no frustrations and no cry over the shoulder.

Depends on if you can get through Customs with your hiking poles and meat products and don't run into Ted Kaczynski on the trail

LOL

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Arius View Post
    Just quit. Simple as that. No problem, no frustrations and no cry over the shoulder.

And we never failed to fail it was the easiest thing to do
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Hiked it all in 2015 with a HMG 2400 Windrider 40L. You have plenty of room. That's your ego jumping in there and injecting fear into an otherwise amazing time. Feel the feeling and get back out there. You got this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just get out there man. Take your time. The men who fought at the front lines and won this country for us slept in canvas tents and were in very uncomfortable situations. The first time I head out I was nothing close to prepared but made it almost 200 miles and my friend is an accomplishment, its better than the guy who never tried. The most important thing is to try. Goodluck!

Sent from my LG-K330 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by eggymane View Post
    May 1st eliminates anyone winging it since they have less than six months to finish. It also means those who start that late have probably prepared for their hike knowing how much time they have. The weather will also be better so you won't be forced off trail by snow ice for a few days or huddled in your bag half the day because you don't have your trail legs and it 20 degrees outside.

There are many reasons why those who have completed a thru would pick May 1 as a start date for their second thru. I assume experienced hikers who haven't completed a thru would know that too. Plus half the bubble will have quit before you start��

Quote Originally Posted by evyck da fleet View Post
    May 1st eliminates anyone winging it since they have less than six months to finish. It also means those who start that late have probably prepared for their hike knowing how much time they have. The weather will also be better so you won't be forced off trail by snow ice for a few days or huddled in your bag half the day because you don't have your trail legs and it 20 degrees outside.

There are many reasons why those who have completed a thru would pick May 1 as a start date for their second thru. I assume experienced hikers who haven't completed a thru would know that too. Plus half the bubble will have quit before you start��
    If you can AVERAGE 14MPD, then a May 1 start is certainly do-able. It will certainly be warmer and likely drier when you start.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++