WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Well I'm out :(

well glad to hear you at least have it all figured out. Lets all hope your ajusted timeline works for you in the future! GL

Will your employer be able to give you the time off work next year if you delay your trip until 2018?
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

Journal Entries

Couple of people have said to ditch the toe socks... That's up to you, LL, but if I can't bring toe socks, I might as well stay home. Do what works for you.

only thing i would say about toe socks is that if your prone to blisters between your smaller toes they are a huge difference. if you get them in the spots where your foot rubs the boot they do help but not revolutionary.

Images

Nerves... You'll be fine... Just do it. It's only walking...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

GA-ME 2011
    Images

This thread should be required reading for those preparing for a thru. Lots of great information, very helpful.

Too bad the OP isn't going this year, maybe next year.

Again I'll suggest reading Appalachian Trials https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trials-book/
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Llama:

You have received a lot of great advice here. Probably the best thing is if you do go this year, you will now be starting later, which bodes much better for your success. But, more than anything, redefine what "success" is for you. You are not a failure if you don't get to Maine. Or, even if you don't get out of Georgia. As long as you go on a nice, long walk and enjoy your time in the woods, you win. Just get out there, keep going when it gets mentally tough, and resolve to only quit on a good day.

I really think you should get out there this year. At the least, you will learn for next year.

Good luck.

In the meantime, get out and do some actual backpacking, starting off with something realistic like 8 miles with 1500 feet of vertical. For someone not in shape and with a heavy pack, that's actually quite a lot.

Someone who truly enjoys backpacking will get out and do it every chance they get, whether quick overnighters, 3-5 day trips, sections or thrus. Become a backpacker 'in your head'.

The hike will be a lot more fun if you're in shape, have confidence gained from experience and get your pack weight way down. Consider adopting UL philosophy and techniques.... backpacking doesn't have to be a sufferfest.

I am just at a loss for words now...

You should have quite the successful shakedown then if you are going for three day hikes once a week. Wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    I plan on running my phone for music about 8-10 hours a day. It's something I can't skip, I'll go crazy if I don't.
    If I were you, I wouldn't do that. It's better to listen to the trail. Especially when you get into areas where there might be snakes. And bears are always a concern. Listen to the trail. It's important.

Images

...I think I have it all figured out...
    But, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by b12r View Post
    I am just at a loss for words now...
    You're not alone in that thought.

better to be at a loss for words than spouting something stupid in my opinion. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by rashamon12 View Post
    better to be at a loss for words than spouting something stupid in my opinion. ^_^
    dont under estimate the power of stupid thought, it's a process.

I'll be hiking all year, and mostly on the AT, but not doing a thru. I'll be hiking down to Trail Days in May and those of you that want to keep berating me can do so in person
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Let me know if you want to get out for a hike one of these days. Always up for a day on the trail (schedule permitting, of course) and we can talk about gear and packing options.

Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    Let me know if you want to get out for a hike one of these days. Always up for a day on the trail (schedule permitting, of course) and we can talk about gear and packing options.
    LL, Please, take Caleb up on his offer!!!!

I have a friend who is a relative newbie and had much the same problems and said something similar about the "I've done 95% as well as anyone could." We inventoried his stuff and I gave or sold very cheaply to him some of my older 'lightweight" (but not UL, such as REI Flash 62 pack) gear and he bought new a few key pieces (such as a TarpTent Protrail), and before our most recent snowshoe trip we did a total pack dump and re-pack in the back of my Dodge Caravan. Previously his pack was a bit over the limit of my 44 lb hanging scale. After getting rid of a bunch of pointless stuff sacks and excess gear and clothing and his heavy pack and tent, his pack weighed 18.5 lbs, including food and water, as we snowshoed into the woods. He was practically crying for joy.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    dont under estimate the power of stupid thought, it's a process.
    After all, an expert is someone who has made all the mistakes.

And didn't get killed in the process....

Journal Entries
    Images

hiked hundreds if not thousands of miles when I was in the Army.
    Glad you got it all to fit. I gotta say you must a had some terrible squad leaders though.
    Hiking the AT is “pointless.” What life is not “pointless”? Is it not pointless to work paycheck to paycheck just to conform?.....I want to make my life less ordinary. AWOL

Haven't read through all 7 pages so don't know if anyone has said this. That Ramen brand you're boxing can be bought just about anywhere. You can crush it up some to make each package 1/2-2/3 the volume. Think volume density for food to reduce bulk. Reduce packaging wt and packaged food wt by repackaging into Ziplocs with a rubber band.

Trial size tubes, smaller at least than you've shown, personal care products can reduce the wt and volume of that category.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++