WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Well I'm out :(

Quote Originally Posted by Don H View Post
    Buy three 13 Liter Sea to Summit Ultra-sil Dry Bags (1.4 oz. each) http://https://www.rei.com/product/7...a-sil-dry-sack

Toss the sleeping bag sack. Stuff the sleeping bag in the dry sack, close top loosely, press down to compress, then roll close. This acts a compression bag reducing space (which you need) and keeps the bag dry (which your pack cover won't do).

Use one Dry Sack for clothes and the other for food. Yes you can get 3 days food in one (minus lunch which should be handy, not buried in your pack.
    LL,
    Take Don H's advice. His 3 bag (13L) solution is the easiest way to get around a lack of packing experience. It will shrink the volume of your sleeping bag and food in particular. You also have a lot of stuff floating around in pockets with lots of unused space in each pocket. Small ziplock or other for electronics. Not everyone is happy with your clothing choices, but because you are not carrying a fleece mid layer or long johns, to me that is much less of an issue than packing your bag. At the very least, if not the whole tent, the poles and stakes can be on the outside of the pack. You do not have too much stuff for that size pack bag. I would use the packliner to protect sleeping bag and clothes. It doesn't have to be used for the top half of you backpack. The dog can ride on top of the liner.

From your other video I saw you had cornered the market on shrimp Ramen. If you crush the contents and repackage it into one ziplock bag you will be surprised how small you can get it. You can also jack up the calorie count by adding dehydrated products, even instant soups, that will fill any air pockets and reduce the amount of noodles you take while still keeping it compact. I realize you're a big guy but you really only need food for 5 days. Has your dog eaten the shrimp variety before because dogs and seafood don't mix? Can your zseat not be attached to your sleeping mat to free up space? You can hang your dog's toys around your neck for the same reason. Your electronics and other gear need a trash compactor bag or ziplocks to protect them from rain. All glass and plastic containers can also be shifted to ziplock bags. Your sleeping bag size is the problem area

LL - cheers! There is a lot of good information being thrown at you here. Also some not so helpful, those guys are the ones who don't have a thought they can't spew out of their mouth before thinking.
    I think the best advice I saw on here is take your set up - hit a trail near your home for three days - preferably in the rain. You will learn a lot in those three days about what works.
    Get out and enjoy life and the woods - YOU CAN DO IT.

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    Ok...that is one big sleeping bag. I hate to say it...but if you are going to go with that sleep system then you are going to need a compression sack dry bag. $30 and that issue is mitigated, somewhat...

The tent needs to go outside the pack. I'd put it in the stretch/clam pocket on the back, put the poles in a side pocket. Otherwise, strap it vertically on the back. Don't put it on the bottom of the pack, unless you really upgrade your tent's stuff sack.

The Zpad is a cheap way to sleep, but at your size/weight, it's a loser. Have you slept on it, ever? Get something that is at least R4 and at least 25 inches wide and 2.5 inches high. Plenty of options at around 16-20oz.

Your "puffy" jacket is the least compressible I have seen. Please get a down one that will stuff down smaller than a Nalgene.

Get rain pants and roll them up with your rain jacket and put in a side pocket or the clam.

Since you aren't using a filter that requires a wide mouth Nalgene, lose it. Get an extra SmartWater, if you must. What is your dirty water bag/bottle?

Your organization is....well.....disorganized...a very cheap solution is go to WallyWorld and get the OP 3 dry bag set for 10 bucks. Put your meds in the small blue bag, your campcraft/toiletries in the medium red bag and your spare clothes in the large yellow bag.

Speaking of clothes...lose the toe socks. Replace with polypro/Thermax socks....I like Thorlo. Lose the extra pair of pants. You can keep the extra socks, if you must....

Your cook kit should only be a .850-1.1L pot, a 110g canister, a windscreen and a long handled spoon. I didn't look at your food, but I saw somebody say ramen. Ramen is junk on the trail. Useless space without much caloric input and almost no protein. Lose it. Get some quality dehy for brekkie and dinner. Eat some trail bars for lunch. It aint gourmet dining, it is sustenance. Only carry high protein dry kibble for pup and supplement with oil. I would use olive oil....

I didn't see a knife or multi tool. Get one. Put it on a loop outside the pack.

Also, Put your compressor dry sack in the bottom of your pack, get a EVent dry bag and put the other three dry bags in it, roll it up nice and slowly so all the air gets out. Put it on top of your compressed bag. Get your bear bag and put all your food in it. Put it on top of the EVent dry bag. There should be space for pup. Everything must be in dry bags because if it is raining you will expose your pack to the rain with pup inside. Therefore, lose the rain cover. I mean...when would it be useful?

If worse comes to worst, then prepare to strap your bear bag onto the bottom of the pack....

If this doesn't get it done, get your butt to REI, return that Osprey and get a friggin mega pack...like THIS Osprey....

https://www.rei.com/product/846438/o...enith-105-pack

Sorry, but that's all I've got for ya....except to just get it done. Go smaller and lighter or just go get a bigger pack. Your Osprey is brand spanking new, right? Go return it. Get out on the trail. Find out if you can do it. If you can't, you can't. But if you never try...........feh.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Yes, seriously. Why do you think you need TWO of everything like that for when you're hiking the trail? You don't. AND weight WILL be an issue, along with all the other issues you do, indeed have. You will not make it far, I'm afraid, with your complete lack of backpacking experience, your attitude, and your kit.

But, I do support your bringing of your pooch, and I understand why. Ignore the dog haters on WB. I'm sure they all love cats.
    Reminds me of those trying to build Tiny Homes under 250 sq ft explaining to the infatuated and romanticizing clients NO you can't bring 10 tee shirts, 6 pr of denim pants, 4 pr of Khakis, 30 pr shoes, 12 jackets, your six cats, that bread maker(used once in the last two yrs), angel curio 300 piece collection, you're entire 70's LP vinyl collection, full size cast iron clawed foot tub, all the books you ever read since 15 yrs old books, and you might be crapping in a composting toilet.

Don't arouse anymore dog debates. Does add to the list of commitments though to an already full plate thru-hiking anticipated agenda. ie; dog food, dog needs, dog stuff wt, boarding, managing a dog while managing a wife and yourself already and new gear and getting into hiking shape and further getting into thru-hiker shape mentally, physically, and emotionally ALREADY

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    Attachment 38866

Loading the video now.
    Take the sleeping bag out of the stuff stack and just stuff it in the bottom. I thought my food back was going to be a problem also but when I took the sleeping bag out of stuff sack and compressed it in bottom of back, I was able to get my food back and sleeping bag in the same about of space that only the sleeping bag in the stuff sack occupied.

Where is all this shrimp Ramen going?

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Where is all this shrimp Ramen going?

Now I understand. Case closed. Thanks.

Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. The information helped tremendously (I especially like the one about combat loading the ramen, great idea.) We have figured out the space issue due to a lot of the feedback we have received here. Thank you again.

Unfortunately, after talking it over for a very long time last night and today, other circumstances still suggest that postponing until next year seems to be the best course of action at this time. There are family, professional, and health issues that I do not wish to bring into the public conversation.

Again, thank you for all of your support and assistance!

Well at least get out for a week. You planned this far, get out for a Section hike.

You're fine man. Just compress or swap out the bag, and/or strap a couple things to the back and hit the trail.
    You must be close to fitting all in

When I first started hiking, my gear was quite inferior to yours. I would have a lot of crap strapped to the outside
    Once it warms up a bit (a month or so), you could swap out that heavy sleeping bag for something that takes half the space and send a couple other things home, and you'll be all set.

Okay I watched your video. The sleeping bag is big, but so are you. If you delay the hike for a couple of weeks you can get a 30 degree bag (preferably down) and reduce a lot of volume. You can't take your dog through the Smokies anyway (comfort dogs are not considered legal service dogs) so you don't have to worry about any possible cold nights up there. It will be warming up in a hurry in a couple of weeks anyway.

Then you just need better organization. The trick is to efficiently utilize the available volume by careful placement of the contents. Build up from the bottom in layers. Jam your rain jacket or puffy around odd shaped items to fill in the void.

Unless it's too long, the tent should go in the pack horizontally, not vertically. The poles would have to stay vertical, but those can be put in a corner where they don't take up too much space. You have to pack around them, not try to jam them in after everything else is in there.

I have a "ditty bag" to keep all my little odds and ends in one place so they don't get lost. I'm currently using a 6x8" zippered pouch which lets the contents spread out and makes a low profile. In the pouch is charger and cable, spare lighter, sew kit, band aids, patch kit, scissors, blister med (New Skin) some spare headlamp batteries, and the like. This sits above the tent.

Then comes my food bag, which I like to put more or less into the center of the pack to keep the center of gravity mid pack.

Above the food bag is my clothes and cook pot

Please get a dry bag to put your spare clothes in and put them in the main compartment. The way had them packed in the video, they will get wet for sure. My clothes fit into an 11" x 8" x 8" stuff sack and I use it to keep my cook pot from rattling in the pack by using it to jam the cook pot into the side of the pack. So my clothes and cook pot fill one layer in the pack. My stove is used to fill up some space lower in the pack.

Finally, there is enough room to jam my outer shell on top to keep it handy. Depending on conditions, this would be my work shirt, rain jacket, or warm layer.

I have a top pocket "brain" so stuff which need to be at hand goes up there. Guide book, lotions, beanie hat, snacks, gloves (in season) and the like.
    My front pocket has the water and toilet stuff. Camp towel, filter, water bag, TP, wipes, tent stakes, bear line, pack cover.

In your case, these would be the two front pockets.

But really, I am surprised you haven't been figuring out ways to make it all fit for weeks now...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Well at least get out for a week. You planned this far, get out for a Section hike.
    Sectionhikers have more fun! I agree. Just go hike somewhere. Doesnt have to be far. Four or five miles, camp out and then come home. Or stay out for three days. Its up to you. Get some trail maps of an area close to home and go for a walk in the woods. Its how I got back into hiking. I couldn't walk up the 52 steps leading up to the Visitor center at Hull's cove in Acadia National Park. A year later, I climbed Katahdin. Now I have multiple goals of hiking New Englands hundred highest, hiking the AT and just being outside in all four seasons. I'm a member of the ATC, MATC, AMC and volunteer at MHT...and it all started with a failed hike.

It would be prudent to familiarize the dog with the food it will be eating. The coconut oil as recommended by the vet has a strong laxative effect. Overdoing it and you might have a problem. If the dog is to eat the Ramen noodles, I'm unfamiliar with the shrimp content which can cause skin allergies in animals.

Journal Entries
    Images

Hi LL ,I would certainly help you out as much as I can .
    Feel free to pm me and we can go from there,I would first suggest the taking A couple weeks off and reevaluating A few things.
    I think we can get your gear into that big ol monster of A pack of yours no problem .
    I will watch the videos in the meantime can you send me A detailed gear list of yours and etc.
    Lets get you on the trail buddy
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post

Yup.

If youve had it scheduled... No reason not to get out for a couple days to a week at least . You will learn tons about you, your gear, and choices. Do this. Dont make excuse not to...just do it. Set minimal goal, a shelter a day for a couple days. Youll have a blast, and all anxiety will be gone.

Remember, a 70+ yr old grandmother walked the trail multiple times with a blanket and shower curtain, in a laundry bag carried over her shoulder, wearing keds tennis shoes Its not as complicated as 99% make it.

I met a 71 yr old woman last year, she only hiked 5 mpd.
    5 miles per day.
    But she hiked 700 miles last yr, and had a blast. She will hike 700 more this year.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-26-2017 at 23:40.

From watching the video there are only a few things you could cut out. the rest of it is how you packed things in your bag. Repackaging, the tent on the outside and filling in the gaps seem to be a key to making more room. I am sure others have said this as well but I personally have spent several days packing and repacking and stuffing and shifting things in my bag to maximize room. I am not an ultra light freak by any means because i value durability as well without breaking the bank. I have serveral more bulky items and with time i got everything to fit with even a little room to spare. GOOD LUCK AND CHIN UP!

I think everyone has hit the nail on the head with packing suggestions. It really is a matter of "want to" at this point. I have the same pack... I feel like I can pack my bedroom in the dag on thing. Stuffing all of that "stuff" in the front zipper compartments kills your space in the main sack. Furthermore, your food NEEDS to go in the sack part.

Anyway, with all that said, I feel like the preparation is MUCH more fun than actually doing it. I have always loved preparing for hikes/trips I have taken. Once I get to doing my hike/trip, it is fun but I feel like the anticipation leading up to it is more fun. Don't get me wrong, I love the hikes/trips I have taken but I feel like OP may have a case of the "I have talked the talk, not I don't want to walk the walk" (no pun intended lol). Anyone can say they are going to hike the entire AT... not many actually do it. Hell man, you sleeping bag is way to big. Plus it is nearly April... We are both from Va... its not that cold out. Plus it will not get that cold out at night any more. 15 degree sleeping bag is WAY to much IMO. Get a 30 degree one and if you get cold put that puffy jacket on.

Images

Hey, I have not done a Thru Hike yet. Doing the planning now. I have the same pack. I no longer have the brain on it. Did you remember to undo the two straps inside the pack that separates the lower part of the pack and main body? Once I did that, the way a pack total changed. I have zero problems with my full gear list with room to spare.

Just a quick update:

I unpacked and stuffed the sleeping bag and everything changed. I was even able to fit the entire bag of food inside! So other than getting a few dry bags and stuff sacks (we we're planning on buying a few along with a camp towel in Atlanta) I think I have it all figured out. As my wife said I'm going to postpone until next year. There is a lot going here and I was really rushing to get out there this year. I hiked on the AT 3-4 times a week before I shattered my heel and hiked hundreds if not thousands of miles when I was in the Army. I will obviously be hiking at least 3 days a week this year, and part of me not going this year my wife said we would go out together once a week and hike. I'm not stopping, and I'm not giving up, I'm just adjusting my timeline
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++