WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Well I'm out :(

I understand the OP's concern about the challenge he has set. 99% of the backpacking community would not even consider a through hike of the AT. According to this forum, I believe only 10% of those that take the first step finish their goal because of physical, financial, or mental challenges. 100 % of section hikers that take the first step accomplish their goal because they can quit whenever/where ever they are.

To set such a lofty goal is admirable. That provides motivation to acquire the skills needed to succeed. Therefore I will be a section hiker next year and if enough sections are pieced together it will be mean I am a thru hiker. If not I will return when I gather more skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot76 View Post
    I understand the OP's concern about the challenge he has set. 99% of the backpacking community would not even consider a through hike of the AT. According to this forum, I believe only 10% of those that take the first step finish their goal because of physical, financial, or mental challenges. 100 % of section hikers that take the first step accomplish their goal because they can quit whenever/where ever they are.

To set such a lofty goal is admirable. That provides motivation to acquire the skills needed to succeed. Therefore I will be a section hiker next year and if enough sections are pieced together it will be mean I am a thru hiker. If not I will return when I gather more skills.
    This post has a lot of validity to it. I am but a section hiker for now with the hopes of setting the Thru goal in the next 6-8 years.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    Some of the above comments are snarky and sarcastic, but there is wisdom there. As an outsider who doesn't know you looking in, it simply seems like you aren't ready. You need a plan.

1. Figure out your packing situation. There's no reason your pack shouldn't carry what you need it to carry, since many who thru hike use a pack that size and smaller.

2. Very important- do some shakedown hikes. Figure out how to hike, how to set up and take down camp, how to filter water, how to take breaks for snacks and meals. All of this stuff sounds simple but out on the trail there is definitely a learning curve.

3. Postpone your hike. If you're dead set on doing it this year, push your starting date back and do a SOBO or flip-flop. Next year would probably be more optimal. That would also give your pup time to mature and give you plenty of time to learn what you need to learn about hiking, and about hiking with a dog.

Don't give up your dream that easily. Just make some plans to see it through. Best of luck.
    Agree with this. ^

Now back to the snarky comments.....

For anyone reading this please learn this lesson. There is ZERO reason for this occur. If you are stupid enough to NEVER have hiked with your gear before heading off on a months long hike then you deserve all the expense and changed plans that goes along with it.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Agree with this. ^

Now back to the snarky comments.....

For anyone reading this please learn this lesson. There is ZERO reason for this occur. If you are stupid enough to NEVER have hiked with your gear before heading off on a months long hike then you deserve all the expense and changed plans that goes along with it.
    This is true.
    That being said, still time to get out there. Best of luck on your hike... adjust and head out!

Llama- have you consulted with a veterinarian about the impacts of long distances day in and day out for 5-6 months and how it will affect its small skeletal frame? Just because it's done 30 miles in a week has little to do with a demanding 6 month hike.

NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    Llama- have you consulted with a veterinarian about the impacts of long distances day in and day out for 5-6 months and how it will affect its small skeletal frame? Just because it's done 30 miles in a week has little to do with a demanding 6 month hike.
    Yes I have, by 2 different veterinarians. One 2 years ago before I shattered my heel and had to postpone, and the other last month. I did a full checkup on my pup and she has no issues physically that might hold her/me back. Vet said as long as I supplemented her diet with coconut oil and gave her glucosamine she would do just fine. Thank you for your actual concern/question and not just saying "leav tha pup you retrd!!!".
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Default Well I'm out :(

Have you thought about taking the two weeks to sort your pack and then starting an open ended hike? Maybe you'll section. Maybe you'll thru. But it will be on your own terms with no regrets.

Best of luck
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

NOBO March 2018

Images

All I can say is PLEASE LEAVE THE DOG HOME. I have seen to many on the trail that have been hurt by the many rocks..
    Mike

Images

Immediate reaction WAY too many clothes. You could climb freeking Denali with those clothes. Lose most of those clothes. And lose the Nalgene, replace with drink bottle, Gatorade, whatever. Doesn't save volume, but lots of weight.

I think others will likely want to know what's in your food bag.

First thing I noticed, besides maybe some miscellaneous stuff you could likely do without, is your sleeping bag. I would unpack it and put it in the bottom of your pack loose and packed down. You didn't say if it was a synthetic or down bag but it's still worth packing down in the backpack. As for the pack cover vs. compactor bag I would take both. Protect the things you absolutely want dry. That pack cover, you may find, does a poor job. A soaking rain coming down your straps behind you might find it's way in and on something you wish were dry.

I may have missed how big your dog is but if big enough what about a small pack on him/her?

I disagree about the clothes. Maybe less of those buffs but for me I want a pair to hike in, a pair to sleep in, and another clean pair to alternate. Granted, I'm not a thru but I no of at least one thru who said he wished he'd have packed 1 extra pair of clothes. There will be days when you just aren't going to want to put on wet clothes.

Just watched your vid. Chear up buddy, you've got this! Haha
    Seriously though, your gear looks pretty good. Only suggestions I can make are these...
    1) Purchase a smaller sleeping bag to save a lot of room without killing the bank. I've got a mil issued 30* mummy bag and they run around $30 online. If this isn't an option, try compression straps to make it smaller.
    2) Put your tent on the outside of your bag. It'll be wet probably 1/2 the time, so you want it to dry out during the day as much as possible, plus you won't have to pull it (and everything else) out of your bag in the pouring rain.
    3) I know what you mean about the trash compactor bag and the dog. Here's a suggestion, get a compactor bag anyway and roll up the things you don't want wet (clothes, bag, etc...) Everything else (food, cook kit) can go on top. Put either your rain jacket or puffy on top for the pup to ride on when he's tired.

Hopefully this helps. Tip: pack your bag the same way every single time so if it's dark, you know right where everything is. Ziplok freezer bags are your friend for meds, food, etc.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Gotta be a record, quitting a thru hike before leaving the driveway.
    ha ha ha lol OMG

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Immediate reaction WAY too many clothes. You could climb freeking Denali with those clothes. Lose most of those clothes.
    SERIOUSLY??!? Two pairs of pants, two shirts, two pairs of knee socks, one pair of tiny socks for sleeping and it's too much? What do you expect me to cut from that list, the sleeping socks?

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    And lose the Nalgene, replace with drink bottle, Gatorade, whatever. Doesn't save volume, but lots of weight.
    My issue isn't weight, it's space. I am carrying a large Smart water bottle in addition to the Nalgene and need the extra volume for my pup. Yes I could swap it out but I don't want to. If my only issues are a bottle and a pair of socks I should be in great shape!
    NOBO March 2018

Images

Just about everything you have takes up a lot of volume. The cook set is huge, why do you need anything other than a small pot and a spoon? take a small bowl for the dog. Ditch you second pair of pants and replace with shorts. I would think twice before taking toe socks. They are a pain to take on and off especially when your feet are wet. All of those extracts adds up as does all the electronics. Do you really need a power brick and charger?

That is the largest 4 lbs of food I have every seen. Take all excess packaging off.

Bottom line, it's you weight and volume to carry so if all that is needed then that's your call. My biggest concern with what I saw was that everything was brand new.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Images

LL,

You have a lot of smaller items that I would do without, but I am not worried about those. My guess is that you will ditch some of them after a bit on the trail. Biggest thing in your pack seems to be that sleeping bag. Don't be afraid to compress it in the pack and push things around to take up the empty space. I know, I hate compressing down too, but you have a pretty warm bag there, if you loose a little bit of loft I think you will still be alright. Consider moving the tent to outside the bag if you need more room inside

Next thing to cut back on is that giant food bag. Even if you are planning on 4 days to Neels Gap, that looks a little large. My guess is that most of it is packaging. Get rid of all that excess packaging! Many hikers loose their appetite the first few days of a hike, so resist the temptation to bring too much food.

With a little work everything should fit in that pack.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Images

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    SERIOUSLY??!? Two pairs of pants, two shirts, two pairs of knee socks, one pair of tiny socks for sleeping and it's too much? What do you expect me to cut from that list, the sleeping socks?
    !
    I agree with others. Get rid of at least one pair of pants and replace with lightweight athletic shorts.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I may have missed how big your dog is but if big enough what about a small pack on him/her?
    I wish she could, but I have yet to find a pack small enough for her. Even if I did find one, she can't really carry more than a pound if that. She's only 11 pounds so her food weight is very low.
    NOBO March 2018

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++