WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Well I'm out :(

I didn't read all of the advice that you received (or clarification posts you made), but I have to assume that you probably have a synthetic sleeping bag and it is taking up the majority of the space (if I'm wrong ignore my post). Fork over a few bucks and buy a good down sleeping bag. If you still don't have room in your pack for food then throw out the kitchen sink...

I would agree with all those that told you to leave the puppy home. If you are willing to quit before leaving your driveway, you don't need the added headache of taking care of a dog along the way.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

My biggest concern, after following this entire thread, is for the dog. Llama will either hike or not. And if he does, he'll likely not complete a thru attempt. That's just the normal odds. But a small 11 lb, 12 year old dog is not going to do well on the AT. Younger and larger dogs have enough problems. Carrying the dog in the top of the pack as Llama intends isn't a good idea either. Encounter difficult terrain, increase weight, raise center of gravity, add a live and potentially moving load, while descending steep slippery terrain, is asking for a bad fall, raising the potential of injury to both hiker - and the dog. Just isn't a good choice for the dog.

This is an important moment in your life. Don't give up thinking you are a failure before you've even started. Keep going. Figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    My biggest concern, after following this entire thread, is for the dog. Llama will either hike or not. And if he does, he'll likely not complete a thru attempt. That's just the normal odds. But a small 11 lb, 12 year old dog is not going to do well on the AT. Younger and larger dogs have enough problems. Carrying the dog in the top of the pack as Llama intends isn't a good idea either. Encounter difficult terrain, increase weight, raise center of gravity, add a live and potentially moving load, while descending steep slippery terrain, is asking for a bad fall, raising the potential of injury to both hiker - and the dog. Just isn't a good choice for the dog.
    There it is.
    Little_Llama-
    If you hurry you can buy a very nice REI down bag with your REI dividend and probably have some change leftover. A bag that will take up about half of the space that your current bag takes up. Think about it.
    I wish i knew what you bought to get a $300+ dividend. Never mind. Enjoy!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There it is.
    Little_Llama-
    If you hurry you can buy a very nice REI down bag with your REI dividend and probably have some change leftover. A bag that will take up about half of the space that your current bag takes up. Think about it.
    I wish i knew what you bought to get a $300+ dividend. Never mind. Enjoy!
    Wayne
    REI Credit Card.

I didn't get mine until late last year and used it sparingly. Now that I know the potential, I won't make that mistake again.

Unfortunately being a large person has its own unique set of difficulties compared to someone with a medium build. Weight increases with size, from boots, clothing to appetite. Even taking a lofty tumble has dire consequences ... just ask Goliath.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Unfortunately being a large person has its own unique set of difficulties compared to someone with a medium build. Weight increases with size, from boots, clothing to appetite. Even taking a lofty tumble has dire consequences ... just ask Goliath.
    I asked Goliath but he didn't answer.
    011.JPG
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

65L is huge!!! If you have a bladder inside get rid of it. Something is taking up way too much space

You don't want to take a puppy on the trail either. Ticks are a major problem for you and your dog. You need nexguard or the like for your pup and Lyme boosters. It is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    I agree with this. From what I have been told, excessive exercise for real small dogs is not a good thing. I knew someone who had a Chiwawa, and they were taking it for long walks everyday thinking this was good for them.

All of a sudden, the dog's heart gave out and wound up passing away. Granted the dog was older, but here they thought this was a good thing, and when they talked to the vet about what had happened, the vet told them that it actually wasn't good to exercise a small dog much, as they can't handle it.

Lol, our MinPin stops about a 1/2 mile into his walks. He'll sit down and won't budge. His way of letting us know it's turnaround time.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    Way too many boastful UL-ers fail to take this into account. It is much easier to be UL if you are under 6' tall and thin. You can avoid long sleeping bags, long sleeping pads, a few more smaller tents/shelters are within reach that, for the taller, have you hitting the ends), clothes are smaller, amt of food and water carried can be less - so much proportions downward - much just from avoiding the tall/long sizes. That doesn't account for all, of course, but it's a substantial portion. Too often the differences are entirely ascribed to one's willingness to pay for 900 fill down TQs, cuben fiber this or that, or sleep on a mix of torso pad and backpack under feet.

For me, the objective function is not to minimize weight, but maximize FUN, If lightening my load will (on balance) increase my enjoyment, I'll do that.If carrying some extra ounces will increase my enjoyment overall, I'll do that. By maximizing fun, you'll dial in an optimal weight, one that is just right for you. Perhaps too heavy or too bare-bones for others, but right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    Way too many boastful UL-ers fail to take this into account. It is much easier to be UL if you are under 6' tall and thin. You can avoid long sleeping bags, long sleeping pads, a few more smaller tents/shelters are within reach that, for the taller, have you hitting the ends), clothes are smaller, amt of food and water carried can be less - so much proportions downward - much just from avoiding the tall/long sizes. That doesn't account for all, of course, but it's a substantial portion. Too often the differences are entirely ascribed to one's willingness to pay for 900 fill down TQs, cuben fiber this or that, or sleep on a mix of torso pad and backpack under feet.

For me, the objective function is not to minimize weight, but maximize FUN, If lightening my load will (on balance) increase my enjoyment, I'll do that.If carrying some extra ounces will increase my enjoyment overall, I'll do that. By maximizing fun, you'll dial in an optimal weight, one that is just right for you. Perhaps too heavy or too bare-bones for others, but right for you.
    Amen. Thread over.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cspan View Post
    Way too many boastful UL-ers fail to take this into account. It is much easier to be UL if you are under 6' tall and thin.
    Disagree

Your talking a few oz

Its way more affected by what people dont bring, than what they do.

Your fixated on thinking criteria was based in normal sized persons gear. Boohoo what weighs 10 for them weighs 11 for larger.

If normal sized people can hike with 6, whats the excuse then? None.

I couldnt envision how to carry as much as 10 lbs base outside of winter, without carrying seversl lbs of stuff I know I dont need. You dont need that much to walk and sleep.

Then theres the guy that takes 3 lb gear....and is a big guy...and has hiked 23000 miles.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-31-2017 at 20:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You might also investigate and audition Korean Ramen. Google The Ramen Rater for the Top 10 list. Find a well stocked Asian market. Think outside the box.
    Wayne

I have eaten K-ramen for at least 10 years, if not more. I have favorites, and some I will never eat again and the thing that is the same with them all is the price. I know the K-ramen is much better for me, but I can't justify the price that often.
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

One last post for me:

1. I can't not bring my dog. I don't know why I have to keep saying this... I have severe depression/PTSD issues and cannot get through them if I don't have her there with me. She is an actual service dog, not a "therapy animal". I have hiked with her in my pack for years when needed and she just sits, no movement or sound. That's not to say I can't fall with her in there as falling can happen at any time but she isn't going to make it much worse (except for the COG changing). I know all about the stigma of dogs on the trail, you don't have to keep using this thread to show you don't like it.

2. There were a lot of things that kept me off the trail this year, the pack was just the straw on the camels back. Pack was straightened out a few hours after making this thread. I crammed the sleeping bag in and all my issues were fixed. The pack isn't an issue.

3. I'm not giving up, just postponing. Those that served like me have been through things you will never imagine or endure. Don't call me a snowflake unless you can do it to my face. Keyboard badasses are a joke to me, I've been called worse while taking PT test to get me to push harder.

4. When you can carry a 70+ pound pack for 8-10 hours with only breaks for lunch and water in the open sun on blacktop up and down hills with no idea when it will stop you can call me out on "quitting" or not finishing. I'm used to finishing things or having hell to pay, this is cake.
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman
    your world frightens and confuses me

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    I'm just a simple unfrozen caveman
    your world frightens and confuses me
    And now I'm sad. I miss Phil Hartman...
    NOBO March 2018

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by llittle_llama View Post
    This is cake.

It is, but it isnt
    Many have approached it thinking that, and quickly get mentally defeated
    Its hard
    Its all day, every day hard
    Akin to climbing stairs up and down half the day with a pack

I believe, and say, you have to enjoy the hard work to thrive, becsuse theres no one there making you do it, or keeping you from quitting.

If you love it...its truly a piece of cake. If you handle it physically
    If you dont....its not so much

Best of luck
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 03-31-2017 at 18:26.

this is cake
    See post #1.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
++ New Posts ++