WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

IMHO, the CDT shortcut route along the western edge of RMNP misses RMNP for all practical purposes other than saying one "did" RMNP. It's a a BS excuse for saying one hiked the CDT or RMNP!

I recently read online (always a suspect source) that RMNP originally did not want the CDT routed through the park.
    At some point in time, the current 20-25 mile semicircular segment of the CDT was routed through the Park.
    There is a shorter north south trail that allows a Hiker to bypass RMNP.
    It's all clearly shown by the Guthook app.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    You should be able to rent gear in Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, etc.
    There is a spur section of the CDT on the west side of RMNP with auto access.
    The CDT runs between Green Mountain and North Inlet Trailheads near Grand Lake on the WEST side of the Park.
    https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/maps.htm
    Good luck & have fun.
    Wayne

Is driving to Green Mountain trail head and going north or south on the CDT particularly worth it? Or are there other places in the park that I should see first?

Quote Originally Posted by Hikingjim View Post
    The main campgrounds in rmnp are busy, but some of the areas have sites that are spread out pretty well
    We stayed a couple nights at Moraine park campground in RMNP last September, and it was enjoyable. Good elevation to acclimatize (8300 ft or something, if I remember right)
    Some nice hikes in that area, but yes, busy spot for hiking
    I enjoyed Mount Ida on the west side. It goes up part of the CDT and is mostly exposed and very scenic. It was not too busy at all
    http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/mount-ida.htm

Trail ridge rd over to the west side is best enjoyed on a week day. no guard rails... so a little intense for a driver not used to that type of highway
    This looks awesome. Can you comment on the section where some off trail travel was required?

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    You could do a one or two nights out backpack trip on the official trail and use the CDT shortcut route to return to your car. That would be a total of about 27 miles. It is a beautiful hike. There are numerous backcountry campsites which you can reserve in advance or take a chance on getting a walk in permit. (I had no problems getting a campsite reservation for the next night when I hiked through, but that was several years ago) A bear cannister is required, but one can be rented at the sporting goods store in Grand Lake. That is Colorado segment 36 of the CDT.

What would be the most convenient trail head to access from Boulder?

You want sick wilderness...go west...past Steamboat. Flattops.
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++