WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default CDT in Colorado; RMNP

My girlfriend and I will have 2-3 days to explore Colorado before some shows at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO. We want to continue checking off our list of national parks and would love to wander around RMNP for a few days.

We probably wont want to mess with shipping our backpacking gear (we will already being carrying on our other clothing for the rest of the trip) so we were thinking about borrowing some car camping gear and having a "base camp" and day hiking. I would like to walk on the CDT but im not sure if there are any good spots within the park that would allow this to happen. If we couldnt get on the CDT itself, does anyone have any suggestions for a campsite that would allow us to car camp and day hike out from there? I read that there are some sights that are walk to camp sites that would be nice too.

Any suggestions are welcomed as Ive never been to this part of the country before. Thanks!

I should also mention that it will be in late June so Im assuming humans will be everywhere. So recommendations to quieter campsites/trails in the park are preferred!

You should be able to rent gear in Denver, Boulder, Fort Collins, etc.
    There is a spur section of the CDT on the west side of RMNP with auto access.
    The CDT runs between Green Mountain and North Inlet Trailheads near Grand Lake on the WEST side of the Park.
    https://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/maps.htm
    Good luck & have fun.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

PS: The west side of RMNP is ALWAYS less crowded than the east side. Late June is still a bit early for crowds as well.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Red Rocks is on the southwest/west side of D? The CDT is also on the west side of RMNP. Stay at Shadowcliff Hostel in Grand lake. Do a 1-2 nighter from there. Up the N Inlet TR(this is the CDT but most CDTers skip it in their gotta go go go gotta be somewhere else mindset) to Flattop Mt. Campsites on this leg. Wander around if conditions allow in late June at 12K ft to Tyndall Glacier, Halletts Peak, etc until you've ascended enough. Backtrack to Flattop and descend on teh Tonahutu Creek Tr where plentyu of CS's exist>Stop at Granite Falls. Head back to Shadowcliff. If you camp below treeline bear can required but you're going light on food and water since it's only a 2-3 day.

The main campgrounds in rmnp are busy, but some of the areas have sites that are spread out pretty well
    We stayed a couple nights at Moraine park campground in RMNP last September, and it was enjoyable. Good elevation to acclimatize (8300 ft or something, if I remember right)
    Some nice hikes in that area, but yes, busy spot for hiking
    I enjoyed Mount Ida on the west side. It goes up part of the CDT and is mostly exposed and very scenic. It was not too busy at all
    http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.com/mount-ida.htm

Trail ridge rd over to the west side is best enjoyed on a week day. no guard rails... so a little intense for a driver not used to that type of highway

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    My girlfriend and I will have 2-3 days to explore Colorado before some shows at Red Rocks in Morrison, CO. We want to continue checking off our list of national parks and would love to wander around RMNP for a few days.

We probably wont want to mess with shipping our backpacking gear (we will already being carrying on our other clothing for the rest of the trip) so we were thinking about borrowing some car camping gear and having a "base camp" and day hiking. I would like to walk on the CDT but im not sure if there are any good spots within the park that would allow this to happen. If we couldnt get on the CDT itself, does anyone have any suggestions for a campsite that would allow us to car camp and day hike out from there? I read that there are some sights that are walk to camp sites that would be nice too.

Any suggestions are welcomed as Ive never been to this part of the country before. Thanks!
    Red Rocks is one of the finest concert venues in the country. The acoustics are outstanding and the city views are excellent.

The CDT's easiest access is from the western slope side of the park. Car camping can be done at Timber Creek CG. It is first come, first serve. Unfortunately, beetle kill has decimated the lodge pole pine forest in the campground. It looks like Isengard from Lord of the Rings. Bring sunscreen and some sort of canopy. Since you're day hiking, no reservations are necessary. I can recommend the North Inlet trail as a nice walk with moderate elevation gain. Summerland Park is full of moose, the creek has decent trout and the upper reach water features are beautiful. Should you decide to pack in, Porcupine & July back country sites are very nice.

Another option is to hike from Bear Lake, (crowds are bad) up Flat Top Mountain trail to intersect CDT. Views are awesome, several high peaks nearby.

A non CDT loop option is park at the Parknride, shuttle to Bear Lake, hike to Odessa Lake, to Fern Lake and out to Fern Lake TH. Shuttle back to PnR. Fern Lake also has moose population and green back trout.

If want to car camp on the east side, you'll need reservations.

Stop at Dave's BBQ in Estes Park, worth the wait.

Aaah your going to the panic show! Lucky sob!!! I've always wanted to go to a show there...last year Rebelution played just after I returned from Co....my next trip out there may be a one way ticket!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could do a one or two nights out backpack trip on the official trail and use the CDT shortcut route to return to your car. That would be a total of about 27 miles. It is a beautiful hike. There are numerous backcountry campsites which you can reserve in advance or take a chance on getting a walk in permit. (I had no problems getting a campsite reservation for the next night when I hiked through, but that was several years ago) A bear cannister is required, but one can be rented at the sporting goods store in Grand Lake. That is Colorado segment 36 of the CDT.
    Last edited by bearcreek; 03-26-2017 at 11:56.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Red Rocks is on the southwest/west side of D? The CDT is also on the west side of RMNP. Stay at Shadowcliff Hostel in Grand lake. Do a 1-2 nighter from there. Up the N Inlet TR(this is the CDT but most CDTers skip it in their gotta go go go gotta be somewhere else mindset) to Flattop Mt. Campsites on this leg. Wander around if conditions allow in late June at 12K ft to Tyndall Glacier, Halletts Peak, etc until you've ascended enough. Backtrack to Flattop and descend on teh Tonahutu Creek Tr where plentyu of CS's exist>Stop at Granite Falls. Head back to Shadowcliff. If you camp below treeline bear can required but you're going light on food and water since it's only a 2-3 day.

Awesome! We are definitely looking at the Shadowcliff Hostel as an option. Thanks for all the suggestions, we will be using them!

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    PS: The west side of RMNP is ALWAYS less crowded than the east side. Late June is still a bit early for crowds as well.
    Wayne

Good to know, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Red Rocks is one of the finest concert venues in the country. The acoustics are outstanding and the city views are excellent.

The CDT's easiest access is from the western slope side of the park. Car camping can be done at Timber Creek CG. It is first come, first serve. Unfortunately, beetle kill has decimated the lodge pole pine forest in the campground. It looks like Isengard from Lord of the Rings. Bring sunscreen and some sort of canopy. Since you're day hiking, no reservations are necessary. I can recommend the North Inlet trail as a nice walk with moderate elevation gain. Summerland Park is full of moose, the creek has decent trout and the upper reach water features are beautiful. Should you decide to pack in, Porcupine & July back country sites are very nice.

Another option is to hike from Bear Lake, (crowds are bad) up Flat Top Mountain trail to intersect CDT. Views are awesome, several high peaks nearby.

A non CDT loop option is park at the Parknride, shuttle to Bear Lake, hike to Odessa Lake, to Fern Lake and out to Fern Lake TH. Shuttle back to PnR. Fern Lake also has moose population and green back trout.

If want to car camp on the east side, you'll need reservations.

Stop at Dave's BBQ in Estes Park, worth the wait.

I think Red Rocks is one of the best venues in the WORLD

These are exactly the kind of suggestions I was looking for. Much appreciated! Any maps or apps that would be helpful that you can suggest?

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Aaah your going to the panic show! Lucky sob!!! I've always wanted to go to a show there...last year Rebelution played just after I returned from Co....my next trip out there may be a one way ticket!

Yeah, its my second time at Red Rocks to see Panic. Unfortunately last time I wasn't able to explore Colorado as much as I wanted. I was grateful to be able to hike the flatirons though! This time we are going early to see the park.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    You could do a one or two nights out backpack trip on the official trail and use the CDT shortcut route to return to your car. That would be a total of about 27 miles. It is a beautiful hike. There are numerous backcountry campsites which you can reserve in advance or take a chance on getting a walk in permit. (I had no problems getting a campsite reservation for the next night when I hiked through, but that was several years ago) A bear cannister is required, but one can be rented at the sporting goods store in Grand Lake. That is Colorado segment 36 of the CDT.

This would be the ideal situation. Unfortunately I don't think we are going to be bringing our backpacking gear as we do not want to check bags and will already be carrying on a bag. Unless you have a suggestions for a place to rent some decent stuff, we will be limited to day hikes. But we are looking to stay in or very close to the park for 2 nights.

As I said earlier, the Denver-Boulder area has numerous equipment rental companies.
    REI is one of them.
    https://www.rei.com/stores/rentals.html#colorado
    For a short day hike on the east side of RMNP, the view of Long's Peak from Bierstadt Lake should not be missed.
    http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails...stadt-lake.htm
    Have fun!
    Wayne

As I recall, REI will rent packs, tents and stoves, but not sleeping bags. Not sure about the other outlets, but I would guess sleeping bags are not available since they would have to be cleaned after each use.

Cool

And you would be incorrect.

Denver

Camping Stoves
    Snowshoes
    Paddling Gear
    Nordic Skiing
    Mountaineering Gear
    Tents
    Sleeping Bags/Pads
    Backpacks
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by blue indian View Post
    I should also mention that it will be in late June so Im assuming humans will be everywhere. So recommendations to quieter campsites/trails in the park are preferred!
    Try to go during the week avoiding the weekends. You can drive to Bear Lake before 9:00am or use the shuttle system. The shuttle is pretty frequent and lets you do some point to point day hiking. Another favorite of mine is the hike up Glacier Gorge or Sky Pond. Once you get above Alberta Falls the crowd thins out and the upper basin lakes are beautiful.

The park map hand out is adequate, if not Natl Geo has more detailed map. Trails are well marked and maintained.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    And you would be incorrect.

Wayne
    Easy Jim, I stand corrected. Un-wad your panties and take a deep breath. Kinda early to be drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    Easy Jim, I stand corrected. Un-wad your panties and take a deep breath. Kinda early to be drinking?
    Sorry. I reckon my Pacemaker is due for a tune up.
    Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++