WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which New Balance shoe?

What trail runner/running shoe do folks like that is made by New Balance? I live near a factory outlet and they often have some great deals. Any suggestions?

The one that fits your specific foot. Get fitted and pick the one that feels the best to you.

Any suggestions with actual models that worked out well for someone?

Garlic
    Images

My favorite shoe feels like the box it came in to my hiking partner. Gotta go with what your foot likes.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I have hiked in a pair of 610s for the last 300 miles of AT section hikes and they are comfortable for my foot (I wear a 4E width but they also come in a D width). They are also one of their less expensive trail runner models. This is the current version of that shoe (about 2 or 3 versions newer than what I have):

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-bal..._with_Metallic Silver_and_Marine Blue
    Last edited by map man; 03-25-2017 at 10:17.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Beware, great shoes but they change model numbers every year. A 610 from last year may be completely different than one from this year.

That said the 610 seems to have replaced the 800 series as the go to trail runners. The 800 series have gone way to light and will get shredded quickly.

I like the Leadville model (1210) for hiking. They are currently on version 3. Many others I know also use them. They last better than the 910's, which were comfortable but the mesh tops seem like they are made of cardboard under fabric.

I have bought nothing but New Balance for at least the past 15 years because they are the only shoes that fit my fat feet. I also have a crazy arch and I don't know if that also makes finding shoes that fit well difficult. It was near impossible for me to find a shoe that doesn't rub wrong in either a running shoe or trail runner. I wear an 11 4E EWide. Even a lot of times New Balance's 4Es in most models would still be too narrow.

I found the perfect running shoe in model 481, and the perfect trail runner in model 412. The models that I bought were purchased at least 2 years ago and I stocked up on about 8 pairs of each hoping that my feet don't grow any in the near future. They fit better than many of the more pricey models that they offer and can often be had for $35 a pair if purchased at certain retailers with coupons and promos.

I would however recommend upgrading the insole in these shoes.

I got to searching and unfortunately the 481 are nothing like they were when I purchased them. The model wasn't nearly as built up as is now and now. It looks like the line is now a trail runner and no longer a lightweight running shoe.

The trail runners model 412 however appear to be nearly identical to the ones that I purchases except for the colors.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have seen some reviews on the fresh foam herios available at a good price via ebay,also heard good stuff about the leadvilles.
    I have used there minimus shoe in the past and it was nice but as mentioned above it just depends on your foot.
    I switched to altras some time ago and have never looked back.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

Don't try to go cheap if you want the best comfort/support. Try a running/walking specialty store.In most cases those types of stores have staff who have some product knowledge and maybe even some real-world experience with the shoes. The outlet stores not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I have hiked in a pair of 610s for the last 300 miles of AT section hikes and they are comfortable for my foot (I wear a 4E width but they also come in a D width). They are also one of their less expensive trail runner models. This is the current version of that shoe (about 2 or 3 versions newer than what I have):

http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-bal..._with_Metallic Silver_and_Marine Blue
    I also use the MT610v5's and love them. Great tread and good toe box, very comfortable shoe for a reasonable price.

I saw the fresh foam hierros mentioned, i own a pair of these as well, they are a nice shoe, but limited tread and can get slippery in cold conditions. In addition, I found the toe box to be a bit constricting.

My recommendation is to get the MT610v5's, you will not be disappointed, I am picky about my shoes and I loved these.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Another vote for the 610's. I've used them for years. The factory insoles are worthless, though. I toss them and put in Superfeet.

But that's with my feet. Your feet are no doubt different.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I recently picked up a pair of 690s and I honestly think it's my all-time favorite hiking shoe. Very light and super grippy. Great tracking on the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seriously, go to a fitting store. NB is notorious for making specific shoe styles for different gaits. I personally love the NB Minimus and have owned several versions of this shoe. However, if you're not a minimalist shoe wearer, then they are NOT the shoe for you.

A good, full service running store can check your gait and at least narrow down the style of NB you should be looking at.

Good luck!

++ New Posts ++