WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

For what it's worth, I have used sawyer filters in deep winter in the last, but it's a pain since I have to be meticulous in order to keep them from freezing. I now use aqua mira or boiling in the winter.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Hey engine, just curious what sort of temperatures were you seeing in the Smokies last week?

I hope your hike is going well!
    Most of last week we saw highs in the 30's and lows ranged from 10-24 degrees. We waited for 2 days in Fontana for things to improve, so we didn't see the worst of it.

Caboose is resting her leg for a couple days (tendonitis), but we'll be back on the trail tomorrow. Having the time of our lives... It's been even better than we hoped! 😁

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maddog76 View Post
    ... I'm wondering if anyone uses a water filter AND water purification drops or tablets. The trips I've been on so far I've used a Sawyer Mini and that's worked fine. However I know there are things it cannot remove from the water. I've been considering using Aqua Mira tabs along with the filter.
    Be sure to read chemical instructions closely. Those little itty bitty critters that filters don't get?... well, chemicals can take up to 4 hours to kill some of 'em, based on my reading. So, I simply use a Sawyer Mini, set up on gravity system. No squeezing, no pain. It filters as I prepare lunch, set up camp, whatever. BUT, I do replace it if it's been subjected to over-night freezing temps (20s or below).
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Can you elaborate on how you knew your Sawyers were ruined"?
    I ask because according to Sawyer's own website, there is no way to field test Sawyer to determine if it's been compromised. Seem like the only way to KNOW a Sawyer has been compromised is that either the flow rate goes way up (i.e. lots of damage, easy for water to flow thur now) or way down (i.e. no water flow because the thing is clogged with ice).
    I have read don't know if it is true !!!! If you can blow through it it is bad .

Thom

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The way Sawyer works is that it is a tube folded such that both open ends are facing the dirty water side. These tubes have hole in them that are too small for protozoa to pass thru. We all know that water expands when it freezes, and if the water that remains in those tubes (there's no way to get all of it out) freezes, it will split the tubes wide open allowing protozoa thru the filter.

The holes in the sides of the tubes are so small that it is difficult to blow (or suck) air thru the filter, so yea, if you can blow air thru it, it's toast.

Quote Originally Posted by Engine View Post
    We watched multiple Sawyer filters (including ours) get ruined by the freezing in the extreme cold of the Smokies last week.

The guy with a Steri-pen had no issues...Our new Steri-pen is waiting at a post office just up the trail.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    When I went through the Smokies on my thru hike last year it was raining like crazy. The folks with steripens, tablets or drops weren't too happy then. The water looked like melted chocolate ice cream with leaves thrown in for texture. Contrary to common advice, a bandana will only remove mud to a point.

If it was raining like crazy why are they messing about with muddy water? Am I missing something?

Images

The platypus can be checked by blowing into it. Not sure about the Sawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I'm surprised Sawyer doesn't have definitive answer to if a freeze damages their filter. You'd think it would be easy enough to test and should have been part of the R+D testing. They know it's going to happen.

I've never cut one of these open to see what exactly they use inside, but I bet freezing does little or no damage. There is a chance it may no longer remove the very smallest of contaminates, but it would still remove the bulk of the stuff you don't want in there. 99% of the water on the AT is fine to drink as is anyway, so you'd probably never know if the filter is doing anything or not. I use mine mostly to filter out the grit.
    Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Everything works because nothing is needed. 99% of the water is safe to drink right out of the side of the mountain.
    Uh, identify the unsafe 1% please! (Hint: you can't without lab testing!)

I did water quality surveys in college. I covered waterways in the TN/NC area including some streams on the trail. That 99% safe isn't true! All the streams I tested had some form of pathogen.

It's a numbers game. If you play enough, you will hit the jackpot sooner or later.

I filter and treat.

I'm unfamiliar with cold conditions. From delving into the internet and reading, it seems the way forward is to use heavier water bottles in winter with water purification tablets, and lighter bottles with a filtration system in warmer months. This approach reduces the chances of filters and thin bottles malfunctioning in freezing weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Smithereens View Post
    Uh, identify the unsafe 1% please! (Hint: you can't without lab testing!)

I did water quality surveys in college. I covered waterways in the TN/NC area including some streams on the trail. That 99% safe isn't true! All the streams I tested had some form of pathogen.

It's a numbers game. If you play enough, you will hit the jackpot sooner or later.

I filter and treat.
    If it come out of the side of the mountain it is safe to drink. If it comes out of a beaver pond or a stream, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    If it come out of the side of the mountain it is safe to drink. If it comes out of a beaver pond or a stream, maybe not.
    Well, I may be a bit of a hypocrite. I know a few water sources that I will not hesitate to drink straight from. If you find water from an artisan well or similar the water usually tastes so good it would be a sin to treat. And they are almost always safe.

The general rule used to be that if the water is flowing and getting aerated for something like 25 feet, it was safe to drink. (Little critters called rotifers like moving water and eat other microbes.) Not sure how well that holds up nowdays though. Stream health isn't always that great anymore.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++