WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Who carried sawyer flush syringe on a CT thru? Needed?

Being mostly a weekend warrior my longest hikes consist of jmt, collegiate loop, fht and many 40-60 mile AT sections...I've had several sawyer mini and squeezes but never carried the syringe just flushed upon return. I do pack a sport cap for a water bottle to somewhat flush while out...should this be sufficient on the CT for 3 weeks? Thoughts...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carried my syringe last summer. I used it frequently. I feel many of the bag problems and slow output complaints stem from lack of backflushing. I think on a three week trip you would probably need to use it at some point.

I did hike with others who did not carry the syringe and they are still alive so YMMV.

Another point to consider- I rented my syringe out several times. Thirsty hikers gladly trade snickers for backflushes lol.

Although bulky, definitely worth bringing. A lot of silt can be mixed in with the water in many of the little streams you find, especially those feed by snow fields. That can clog or slow down the filter after a few gallons have been filtered. I don't carry any extra connecting hoses, I just press the syringe up against the filter output. If your really desperate, the syringe could be used to suck up water from small, shallow pools.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

The .5 liter smart water bottle, the one that comes with that little flippy lid, is a perfect fit for backflushing the sawyer. Using that, nothing extra or bulky to carry

Journal Entries

Aqua mira dont require backflushing

A little brown water never hurt no one. Treated that is.

Quote Originally Posted by eggymane View Post
    The .5 liter smart water bottle, the one that comes with that little flippy lid, is a perfect fit for backflushing the sawyer. Using that, nothing extra or bulky to carry
    That's what I carry in my ditty bag with cap removed. Cap tends to break after few days of use so I don't use as main cap for my SW bottle..

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

I hate using chemicals if don't have too...my damn tap water in NE Fl is terrible and full of chlorine so really enjoy clean mountain spring water when I can get it....

After having issues with a clogged filter (one of the million gallon guarantee models) I carry the syringe on any trip extending more than a few days. The syringe allows me to get the "forceful" backflush that the company recommends. I am not so sure that other methods, definitely the way I was doing it didn't, allow for this.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    I hate using chemicals if don't have too...my damn tap water in NE Fl is terrible and full of chlorine so really enjoy clean mountain spring water when I can get it....
    After drinking mountain spring water for nearly a year as a caretaker, I went to Florida to visit my parents. I absentmindedly filled a glass of water from the tap and took a sip. Without thinking, I immediately spit it back out, which shocked my mother who wanted to know "what's wrong"? I told her the tipped, chlorinated salt water tasted like poison!
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    After drinking mountain spring water for nearly a year as a caretaker, I went to Florida to visit my parents. I absentmindedly filled a glass of water from the tap and took a sip. Without thinking, I immediately spit it back out, which shocked my mother who wanted to know "what's wrong"? I told her the tipped, chlorinated salt water tasted like poison!
    Ha!!! We have a good filtration set up for drinking but really nasty without it.....bottled water is another gimmick people have jumped on. So much waste created needlessly but that's another topic....plastic bottles and bags are a huge pet peeve of mine.....

I would bring it. The forceful blast of water keeps more of the branches of the filter material clean.

I just returned from a 5 night trip on the Colorado Plateau and used my once. Mostly because the "sand" is more like silt and any significant rainfall trashes the springs, so a filter would quickly clog.

Basically same principle as what I'm doing with sport cap and mini but mine probably doesn't generate as much pressure as it's not sealed...if I go back to regular squeeze I'll def pick that up...thx

+1 I can basically kneel on the bottle, works far better than the syringe even.

I third the coupling. Works great!

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

Chemically speaking, there is no chlorine in chlorine dioxide.

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    Well I learned something new....I like my water with out any added man made crap.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
    When we drink water, we don't worry about the intake of hydrogen, even though it is part of the chemical makeup.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

The CT will have lots of beaver and live stock. Personally, I would have to extend AM to it's maximum dwell time to be comfortable with the cold water temperatures.

One of the really nice things about the CT is the water. I usually carry a little bit of chemical treatment, but that is only for a catastrophic filter failure. Filtered Colorado water is delicious.
    May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.

~ Edward Abbey

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++