WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Tuscarora Trail-Lucas Woods campsite

Planning a section hike at the end of April on the TT. Probably going to start the hike at the parking lot on WV 23/3 Lehew RD. Was wondering if Lucas Woods campsite is still a viable camping spot, since trail relocation on the top of mountain? I mean I think it is still in service but I just want to make sure. Any info is appreciated.

Thx
    Twilight

I thought the relocation was south of the Lucas Woods site?

Regardless, let us know how the trip turns out, I'm always looking for Tuscarora trail journals/reports.

Here's a thread from a while ago relating to the trail relocation.

SWODaddy, on map L of the TT it shows at the time of the printing the projected relocation of the trail. Now the current trail. Heading south the trail used to make a hard right (where trail now continues on the ridge) and head down the mountain. Passing Lucas Woods campsite(on right) then crossing Loman Branch and coming to a parking lot off of Lehew RD. This lot was the beginning/end of section 16 in the current trail guide. I just wanted to make sure Lucas Woods camp is still in use and for that matter the trailhead on Lehew RD.

Thx
    Twilight

I walked by there last june. The sign for the lucas woods campsite is falling down and the trail to the campsite (which we did not look at) was overgrown to the point that if the sign wasn't there you wouldn't know that was it. As the Tuscarora trail has been re-routed just north of there (it now stays on the ridge instead of dropping down officially) I doubt this will get much attention.

Thanks mankind117 for the heads up. Did you come in from the parking lot on Lehew Rd?

Twilight

I was able to trade a couple of emails with PATC member today. Information provided for Lucas Woods Campsite was as follows; parking is possible at Lehew Rd. expect it to be tight. Old TT is now blazed white up to where it connects with the TT. And as Mankind117 stated expect it to be well overgrown because since the relocation it probably hasn't been used much. Shame, trail guide mentions trail amenities, pavilion, privy and picnic table, with a spring in the area. I feel an adventure a brewing.

Also mentioned in these emails was that the PATC is going to launch a greater intiative for trail maintenance on the TT later this year. If I see anything about this in the PATC newsletter I'll pass it along.

Twilight

Here's a little update about Lucas Woods campsite. Now on a side trail to the Tuscarora trail.

My section hike for this section began at Lehew RD trailhead(WV 23/3). It was 2 mile hike(mostly gravel/woods road) to Lucas Woods Campsite. Trail is on the old TT, because of the trail relocation on top of the ridge. Trail is still blazed blue along this section. Keep an eye open for the trail to make a hard right turn into the woods. I hiked right by it. I started a rock cairn at the turn. Soon after the turn you will come to this:IMG_0035.jpg

And not to far after that sign you will come to the sign for Lucas Woods campsite.IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0036.JPG

From the sign at the entrance for the camp, trail is white blazed to the the intersection with the TT(1.2 miles). It was obvious that the camp had not been used in a while, with a lot of overgrowth, tenting area was covered with debris from fallen branches and overgrowth. Pavilion showed damage from a tree branch falling on it.IMG_0039.JPG

Also, I have learned hiking the TT to check privy for bees or wasp nests. This time I didn't even have to open the door to know not to go any further.IMG_0041.JPG
    Yeah, I know the snake is harmless, but I decided to respect his territory anyway.

I will post another thread about section hike and other news about the TT, soon. Just wanted to add more information to this thread.

Twilight

Thanks for the follow-up. Interested on your other observations from the section.

Forgot to mention, spring/creek was running strong at the time of my section hike 5/18 to 5/21/17.

Twilight

Thanks, Twilight. Very helpful!

It looks like I'm about 1 1/2 years late in seeing this post. I recently hiked this area and came across the campsite. I thought this area was really nice, but it needs some TLC in terms of trail and camp site maintenance. Anybody know about plans for the area? I sent an inquiry via the Tuscarora trail website to see if anyone from the PATC had information on this area. Thanks

Greg, I’m a little late at getting a response to you about the campsite, but, due to the trail relo at top of mountain that continues south(roughly 2 miles up the mountain, if I remember correctly), this camp will likely be taken back over by nature, unless the TT becomes some major footpath. Trail that the camp is on is the abandoned TT caused by trail relocation. Though, I hope the PATC keeps the trail open as it is a good side trail to the TT with descent parking at the bottom of it. Next section hike, I’ll be using the side trail to get to the TT.

Twilight
    Last edited by twilight; 12-21-2018 at 17:13.

++ New Posts ++