WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Nano Air - Where does it fit?

I've accumulated several clothing pieces for my thru-hike attempt and trying to minimize dupes and increase effectiveness.

Im solid on baselayers, I think with a. ss synthetic and ls merino zip. But the mid and outer are more up in the air.

So, here are a few items that I keep debating. I'll list what I own and would love to hear opinions on the best combinations, assuming a 4/1 Nobo.:

Fleece - TNF TKA 100 Glacier 14oz
    Mid - Patagonia Nano Air 11oz?
    Rain - Marmot PreCip 13oz
    Patagonia Houdini 3.3oz
    Ghost Whisperer 7oz?

I really like the Nano Air. Assuming I'm taking that, it raises questions. The Houdini over it creates a nice combo for cold and windy...but it's not a rain jacket. Light rain, maybe.

The PreCip over the Nano and ditch the Houdini? Also, with the Nano doesn't that make the fleece unnecessary?

I love the Nano but it seems to have created a lot of questions on my pairings with it. Thanks all!

I've been considering the nano air. *i do not own it yet*

But if I did, I would probably ditch the fleece and the Houdini. I never found my Houdini-like jacket useful and ditched it after one long section. In winter I may do fleece+ nano air, but spring and summer, ditch the fleece in favor of nano air.

Just what I've been thinking as I've been making the same consideration. I tend towards the very cold, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's either the Ghost Whisperer or Nano Air. Not both.

If you want most effective apparel set ups anticipate if you're going to be spending more time actually hiking - on the move/active - or long times beyond 9+ hrs in camp or wandering around not hiking. You're not going to spend much time hiking in either the GW or NA. So, if you're more of a hiker than a camper choose the lighter wt option for your 4/1. If you spend limited time in camp not wandering around a great deal than your quilt or sleeping bag is your main in camp insulation piece. SO, no need for a heavier NA.

Plenty other true rain jackets at 7-8 oz with good, not Houdini level MVTR specs, but possibly good enough to function as an impromptu wind jacket. In this effectiveness perspective do not assume a rain jacket is just for the rain. Consider also you can get a UL rain jacket at 7 oz and also have the 3.3 oz Houdini for less wt but greater versatility than the Marmot Precip.

Consider if you're more of an on the go hiker than an in camp trail user you have a whopping 5 layer system of excellent versatility in a ss sleeve synthetic, LS Zip merino, main insulation piece like a GW(considering it IS a main insulation piece in your combined layering system), a Houdini wind jacket, and a Ul 7 oz rain jacket. Into May you can drop the GW and maybe Houdini and possibly add in another SS shirt.

Opt for a mid wt or slightly warmer LS ZIP merino at the get go and perhaps you can ditch the fleece too IF you roll with the GW, lighter wt rain jacket, and Houdini wind jacket. In May switch out the mid wt merino to a lighter wt merino LS Zip or a Pat Cap 1 Zip while adding in a second tee ditching the GW.

For the person who doesn't know what they want in their layering system.

I suggest bringing a fleece and a synthetic or down puffy. Send one home as you find suitable

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Ghost whisperer and a zpacks fleece hoody is real good but expensice

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Isn't the nano air about the same as a 200 fleece for warmth but lighter.

Thom

I was given a Frogg Toggs rain jacket last year (which pretty much saved my life the next couple of days, since the poncho I had simply was not doing the job) and was surprised at how well it worked. Breathed pretty good and kept me warm and dry in some cold, heavy rain. It may not be the most durable jacket, but it doesn't cost much to replace if it does get trashed. I don't want to trash my expensive Gortex rain jacket on a long hike.

For a warm layer I usually go with a mid weight fleece vest, but this year I might go with a Woolrich wool over shirt. Although it's a little heavy at 18 oz, I really like my wool shirt. Plus it looks good in town
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default Either/Or

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    It's either the Ghost Whisperer or Nano Air. Not both.

If you want most effective apparel set ups anticipate if you're going to be spending more time actually hiking - on the move/active - or long times beyond 9+ hrs in camp or wandering around not hiking. You're not going to spend much time hiking in either the GW or NA. So, if you're more of a hiker than a camper choose the lighter wt option for your 4/1. If you spend limited time in camp not wandering around a great deal than your quilt or sleeping bag is your main in camp insulation piece. SO, no need for a heavier NA.

Plenty other true rain jackets at 7-8 oz with good, not Houdini level MVTR specs, but possibly good enough to function as an impromptu wind jacket. In this effectiveness perspective do not assume a rain jacket is just for the rain. Consider also you can get a UL rain jacket at 7 oz and also have the 3.3 oz Houdini for less wt but greater versatility than the Marmot Precip.

Consider if you're more of an on the go hiker than an in camp trail user you have a whopping 5 layer system of excellent versatility in a ss sleeve synthetic, LS Zip merino, main insulation piece like a GW(considering it IS a main insulation piece in your combined layering system), a Houdini wind jacket, and a Ul 7 oz rain jacket. Into May you can drop the GW and maybe Houdini and possibly add in another SS shirt.

Those are things that never even occurred to me and very interesting. A lot of great points.

I always thought of the GW as my outer/camp/non-active layer. I never thought of using it hiking because I wouldn't want to get it wet (of course, that's minimized with a rain jacket of some type over).

My thought was, the Nano Air is my active/hiking "mid" layer (or outer layer if it's dry). That was my intent buying it, at least. And I thought, ideally, that could be my active AND camp outer layer with the right baselayers (and the PreCip..or another...as an outer shell for additional warmth if needed). When I put on the Air my first thought was, Hmm...I won't need the 13oz TNF fleece with this.

Never thought of making better effect of the Houdini by pairing it with another rain jacket (Frogg Togg's or something light) and ditching the 13oz PreCip. But that's a great idea.

Obviously, the scenarios I'm playing out are more for the first month or two and the GW goes home after that.

And, yes, I'm talking about hiking...not camping. I don't think I'd get very far on a thru-hike attempt if any significant time was spent in camp or being non-active. I expect it would be...arrive in camp, setup, eat, zzzz.

Default Frogg Togg's

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I was given a Frogg Toggs rain jacket last year (which pretty much saved my life the next couple of days, since the poncho I had simply was not doing the job) and was surprised at how well it worked. Breathed pretty good and kept me warm and dry in some cold, heavy rain. It may not be the most durable jacket, but it doesn't cost much to replace if it does get trashed. I don't want to trash my expensive Gortex rain jacket on a long hike.

For a warm layer I usually go with a mid weight fleece vest, but this year I might go with a Woolrich wool over shirt. Although it's a little heavy at 18 oz, I really like my wool shirt. Plus it looks good in town
    Other than durability, I've heard a lot of good things about Frogg Toggs. The Ultra-Lite 2 is 10.4oz for the jacket/pants combo. My PreCip ALONE is 13oz, so that may be a real possible area I switch. I think my concern of the FT is that I've never actually seen or tried them on and it's hard to get through my thick head that a $25 outfit is going to be effective (even though I'm sure it's fine since I'm not exactly bushwhacking...and I own duct tape). Then again, I've used cheap ponchos in emergencies and those worked so, why not the FT?

Default Nano Air vs Fleece

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Isn't the nano air about the same as a 200 fleece for warmth but lighter.

Thom
    I'd say that's pretty accurate. The weight is on par with my 100 weight fleece (TNF TKA 100) though I'm sure there are much lighter fleece options. It is definitely a great deal warmer than the fleece. I'd say it's just about as breathable as the fleece (possibly more) but much more than my down puffy...and I don't have to worry about it getting wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Phins View Post
    Those are things that never even occurred to me and very interesting. A lot of great points.

I always thought of the GW as my outer/camp/non-active layer. I never thought of using it hiking because I wouldn't want to get it wet (of course, that's minimized with a rain jacket of some type over).

My thought was, the Nano Air is my active/hiking "mid" layer (or outer layer if it's dry). That was my intent buying it, at least. And I thought, ideally, that could be my active AND camp outer layer with the right baselayers (and the PreCip..or another...as an outer shell for additional warmth if needed). When I put on the Air my first thought was, Hmm...I won't need the 13oz TNF fleece with this.

Never thought of making better effect of the Houdini by pairing it with another rain jacket (Frogg Togg's or something light) and ditching the 13oz PreCip. But that's a great idea.

Obviously, the scenarios I'm playing out are more for the first month or two and the GW goes home after that.

And, yes, I'm talking about hiking...not camping. I don't think I'd get very far on a thru-hike attempt if any significant time was spent in camp or being non-active. I expect it would be...arrive in camp, setup, eat, zzzz.
    Nano air is too hot to backpack in unless it's quite cold, and especially if you have a rain jacket over it. So you can just use the GW on cold mornings, breaks, etc, and keep it dry.

For early season hiking I usually go with some combination of tshirt, light/mid long sleeve layer (have an 8 oz or so hooded merino long sleeve, or an 8 oz fleece. both work), and A rain/wind protection layer. Combinations of those 3 will keep me where I need to be (while moving) from 30f-90f.

Quote Originally Posted by Phins View Post

If you take the Nano Air, since it's a synthetic, and you have a WP shell to go over it, I agree you don't need the fleece. And you certainly don't need a GW if the NA is in the mix. The LS mid 1/2 Zip merino layer can be 150-180 wt 1/2 Zip too so could reduce some ozs in the LS. Take the 1/2 zip option though with your start date! I can't see you hiking very often in a synthetic tee, LS merino 1/2 zip even if it is 150-200 wt, a Nano Air, Houdini, and Pre Cip with any regularity with a 4/1 start if you're a hard charger. After saying that you might experience the white flying, spring low 20's, ice, sleety rain, and appreciate your layering scenario. As you say, and I think you are reasoning well, after the first 5 wks you'll be amending layering pieces so perhaps better to cover your based in the first few wks.

Yeah, certainly agree the Nano Air JACKET, which I don't yet own and have no personal experience, would be an active piece with its breathability specs for me too. I'd be more inclined to use the Nano Air out west at elevation in a layering system or possibly while engaging in highly strenuous activities/approaches. i.e./ maybe snow sports, shoeing, cross country, submitting,

nano air plus rain shell is a good combo

nano air plus a helium II is pretty much usable in all conditions. throw in an r1 and it pushes it to usable below 0.

I don't care for wind shells any conditions that warrant that a rain shell will do. the marmot precip is ok but it wets out quick in my experience and is very heavy. Good grocery getting town style coat.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

forgot to add I own a ghost whisperer and it is great but nothing more than camp or hanging out at a summit. Fairly fragile

nano air pills pretty fast at usual wear spots but is so comfortable and effective. I truly feel patagonia has dialed in some of the best mid layer and base layers not much else comes close.

all of this stuff is too warm for summer backpacking during activity. I pretty much wear a t-shirt or long sleeve quarter zip. a light ls merino quarter zip is the most versatile piece of clothing as it can cover all temperatures including winter under heavy activity.
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined."

++ New Posts ++