WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Missed my train :(

Was halfway to train station leaving for gainesville when I realized the departure time on my ticket was 4 hours earlier than it was when I purchased the ticket. I missed the train and the entire $160 ticket value was forfeited and now I have to wait another day and another $200 to leave. I am sad

Images

Well, that is taking "start slow" beyond its intent. But just put it behind you and move on. It's now a "sunk cost", and you can't let it effect the present or future.

Images

Not a good start. Can't you go to the ticket window and ask for an exchange or is that what you're saying ? A higher fee for a later train.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I called amtrak and they called some other people and they just said there was nothing they can do. The whole ticket was forfeited.

Images

Yes, it sucks. So you're starting out $200 over budget. Realistically, if that is going to break your hike, you very likely wouldn't make it anyway. Doo doo happens. Gear breaks, illness occurs, trains are missed. Many obstacles on a hike cost money to overcome. Don't dwell on it.

I don't think I'd let that go. If they changed the time by four hours without warning I'd be talking to someone in charge to get my next ticket comped.

It would be a hassle though so if you got the money to burn you could let it go. Or give me the info and I'll see if I can find the right person at Amtrak to fix it.

Images

If they changed the time by four hours without warning

i doubt they changed it without warning......

amtrak would have called or emailed and would have asked for an alternative departure time...

at least thats what they have done for me....

Anybody in the class of 2017 leaving denver colorado mid April to Springer
    Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    i doubt they changed it without warning......

amtrak would have called or emailed and would have asked for an alternative departure time...

at least thats what they have done for me....
    I agree with this. I mean I think it stinks to lose your money like that, but I would of been checking the departure times right up to a few hours before I was due to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    I agree with this. I mean I think it stinks to lose your money like that, but I would of been checking the departure times right up to a few hours before I was due to leave.
    However I will add that this was an easy thing to have happen, and if they did change it at the last minute then that was wrong.

The only email I received was one where it said there was something wrong with my reservation and that I should call them. This was hours after I missed the train when I was already in the car headed to the train station. I tried fighting them but it didn't work and it's probably not worth it. I'll just dish out the extra dough and leave tomorrow morning. It does suck though because I was all excited and mentally prepared to leave now

If that's how it went down I don't think you talked to the right person. I'd be asking to speak to a supervisor until they made it right, but maybe that's just me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    The only email I received was one where it said there was something wrong with my reservation and that I should call them.
    Meaning...you didn't make the train or there was an issue with the true departure time stamped on your ticket ? If I were you call a relative that might be able to follow up on your behalf to get to the bottom of this. If it was their screw up then you should receive a money voucher for the mistake. If it was your mistake, apparently the e-stub reservation system doesn't reimburse you if you missed the train.

Forget about this for now and don't let it affect the rest of your trip. Like I said, have a family member talk to an Amtrak representative and have them clarify what went wrong, if anything did.
    Last edited by johnnybgood; 03-21-2017 at 16:57.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

I agree, something can be done about this. If I wasn't leaving in a few days (holy crap, LESS THAN A WEEK!!!) I would ask for the info and take care of it for you.
    NOBO March 2018

Man can only find oneself while alone on the Appalachian Trail. There his mind if free to explore his thoughts, the Universe and eventually find his true self. -Ernest Hemingway

Trains always leave the originating station on time. They run the same schedule every day. Weather issues, accidents or other track issues can delay the departure of the train, but it would never leave earlier then the scheduled time. This sounds like operator error to me, not paying attention to the times.

If Timinator missed the train, they might have sent the email asking where the heck was he? They would know they were short a passenger once they went through all the cars and scanned tickets.

A few years back, I got a free stay in Chicago and $25 for meals when my train from Glacier to Boston was 3 hours late getting to Chicago so we missed the connecting train to Boston.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

This sounds like operator error to me, not paying attention to the times.

thats the way im seeing it.....

i think theres more to this story than the initial post........

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

OP
    Look up your original ticket purchase and your check in ticket times.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

i've taken AMTRAK 10 times from NYC to Gainesville, Ga. it always left on time, never early

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Was halfway to train station leaving for gainesville when I realized the departure time on my ticket was 4 hours earlier than it was when I purchased the ticket. I missed the train and the entire $160 ticket value was forfeited and now I have to wait another day and another $200 to leave. I am sad
    Apparently you purchased a 'Saver Fare' where the entire amount of the purchase is forfeited and cannnot be applied toward future travel if not canceled before the scheduled departure (i.e. a "no show").
    That is the policy Amtrak is applying here.

What I can not find is ANY sort of policy about what is Amtrak's responsibility when a scheduled departure time is changed.

If you still want to attempt to get a refund, you will need to try to discover what is Amtrak's policy about changes in departure time, and I think you'll have to call Amtrak to find out what that is, because ANY internet search that includes the word "change" in it links you to web pages telling you have to make changes to your ticket, NOT what Amtrak does when they are the one making changes.

Not quite sure how you did this? The Crescent leaves Penn Station for Gainesville at 1415. Every day. Once a day. There is no other train...

Not sure how you thought it departed at 1815? I don't think it ever departed at 1815...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++