WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

That blows, I bet you won't do that again!

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    ...I realized the departure time on my ticket was 4 hours earlier...
    That sounds like the problem right there...
    While there is no way for us to know exactly what happened, it sounds like you purchased your ticket and never looked at what you purchased (i.e. you never reviewed the ticket)... at least not until Amtrak seems to have tried to contact you after you were a no-show.

If the correct departure time was on your ticket, then it sounds like you're SOL.

Wait...I think I see how this happened...OP put in his preferred departure time....the website put him on the Crescent...OP thought it left at his preferred time...OP never realized there is only one train to Gainseville a day and that it ALWAYS departs at 1415, and has for some time...I pulled up the 2/2016 Amtrak schedule and 1415 was the Crescent's departure time then...sorry for OP...

I shared the OP's concern and apprehension regarding Amtrak. I'd booked a ride on the Capital Express from Rockville MD to Pittsburgh. For me and my bicycle. It gets into Pittsburgh at around midnight. I'd also booked a hotel room in Pittsburgh, so it was train fare plus hotel at stake.

Problem is, I wasn't 100% certain I was at the right station and the right platform until the moment the train came by. I got there plenty early. But there wasn't a single sign indicating that it was an actual Amtrak station, or that my specific train was due to arrive at Platform Whatever. There wasn't a single human (other than fellow travelers) who could direct me. Not a single Amtrak official to be found. Nerve-wracking. It all turned out OK, but it was the most nervous hour or two of that whole trip. The ride itself was wonderful. OK, maybe a bit slow overall, but relaxing, comfortable and lots of good views. Conductors on the train were courteous and helpful. 10X better than economy class on any airline.

I figured it out. What happened was I was going to order a ticket from Hartford CT to Gainesville since I am in CT right now which departed shortly after 12PM. I noticed that it required me to take an hour long bus ride from Hartford to the New Haven amtrak station before sending off to NY so I cut out the middle man and booked a ticket from new haven instead but I must have been so distracted by the price savings of doing that that I didn't notice it was not actually on the same schedule as the one originating from Hartford. It's weird because daily trips from Hartford to Gainseville always go through New Haven first but there are no trips originating from New Haven on that same route that line up time-wise with the Hartford originating one.

Cool

I figured it out. What happened was I was going to order a ticket from Hartford CT to Gainesville since I am in CT right now which departed shortly after 12PM. I noticed that it required me to take an hour long bus ride from Hartford to the New Haven amtrak station before sending off to NY so I cut out the middle man and booked a ticket from new haven instead but I must have been so distracted by the price savings of doing that that I didn't notice it was not actually on the same schedule as the one originating from Hartford. It's weird because daily trips from Hartford to Gainseville always go through New Haven first but there are no trips originating from New Haven on that same route that line up time-wise with the Hartford originating one.
    Dude. Fuhgettaboutit.
    This is a no brainer. Subtract the $200 extra train ticket from the price of the obscenely expensive ZPacks tent. Spend the change on a perfectly useable tent from Henry Shires at TarpTent or any other reputable cottage tent maker. Back on budget. Full weather protection. Away you go.
    You're welcome!
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JEilPR1PXko

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Lol perfect

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Dude. Fuhgettaboutit.
    This is a no brainer. Subtract the $200 extra train ticket from the price of the obscenely expensive ZPacks tent. Spend the change on a perfectly useable tent from Henry Shires at TarpTent or any other reputable cottage tent maker. Back on budget. Full weather protection. Away you go.
    You're welcome!
    Wayne
    Just stay away from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs:https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...rness-designs!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    Just stay away from Bearpaw Wilderness Designs:https://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthr...rness-designs!
    I did stipulate reputable. On my very short list, Henry is reputable.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DapperD View Post
    I did stipulate reputable. On my very short list, Henry is reputable.
    Wayne

Images

Make up the difference in 3 less town stays in Hostels, 6 less restaurant meals, or eating Ramen Noodles every day till you get to Maine.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

There's gotta be a good trail name in all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    How about ETD

Images

How about "Derailed".

Journal Entries

When making travel plans, I go online and find the cheapest price, then call the company (i.e. Amtrak) and tell them the price I found. They will normally honor your price, because they won't have to pay a fee to a ticket broker. Works very well with air travel and hotel stays. Only had problem one time where the hotel made the mistake about my reservation. Once I showed them my confirmation number, the quickly found my reservation. Talking to a real human being is much nicer.
    Blackheart

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    When making travel plans, I go online and find the cheapest price, then call the company (i.e. Amtrak) and tell them the price I found. They will normally honor your price, because they won't have to pay a fee to a ticket broker. Works very well with air travel and hotel stays. Only had problem one time where the hotel made the mistake about my reservation. Once I showed them my confirmation number, the quickly found my reservation. Talking to a real human being is much nicer.
    You can buy Amtrak through a ticket broker?

offtrak? (i'm not very clever)

ontime...........

DayLate......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++