WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Clarification on my part.
    The optional lumbar pad, in my personal opinion, is like buying a new car and the salesman asks, "Would you like the optional turn signals?"
    Fair enough?
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Everyone needs a turn signal on a car, not everyone needs a lumbar support on the pack. They also have optional shoulder padding, hip belts, shoulder pouches, water bottle holders, and roll top tie downs.

I agree with Venchka; I think the "Optional" Lumbar pad (it's not a support) should be standard since a huge percentage of owners use it, and those that decide they don't need it (I haven't heard of more than one) can remove it.

I get the marketing ploy: A barebones pegboard to hang options on.
    Go for it Y'all!
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Everyone needs a turn signal on a car, not everyone needs a lumbar support on the pack. They also have optional shoulder padding, hip belts, shoulder pouches, water bottle holders, and roll top tie downs.
    More patents followed — in 1925, Edgar Walz Jr. patented a light with two arrows and a brake light; in the late '30s, Joseph Bell patented the first electrical device that flashed —
    and then in 1939, Buick introduced turn signals as a standard feature.
    You may be correct, but it took awhile.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

I certainly would not call it a bear bones pegboard. The external frame is a innovative take on an old idea and it works, I have forgotten to put the arc in it and on a hot day you notice it pretty quickly. The 3 GG packs you have to pay $45 for a hip belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

My only pack experience this century is a ULA CATALYST. It was well equipped off the rack at Little River Trading Co. It was comfortable near it's claimed load limit.
    If I ever entertain another pack purchase, I will talk to the folks at Seek Outside in person.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Timinator View Post
    I'm getting a Zpacks tent while on trail and I'm also replacing my 5 LB backpack with something much lighter. My first instinct is the Zpacks Arc Haul pack because of convenience. Has anyone tried this pack? Any argument against it before I spend the cash? And other recommendations?
    The Arc Blast and Arc Haul are both great packs in my opinion. They are the best packs I've ever owned. Very comfortable, durable and light weight. I'll be using my Arc Haul on my JMT trip next year. I also have the Duplex tent, which is quick and easy to set up.

My go to pack used to be my Osprey Aether 60, which served me for nearly a decade. But it was over 4 lbs and I did a lot of Sherpa dad hikes. I'm getting older and need to shed some weight. I'll never be an ultra lighter, but now that my base weight ranges from 10-15 lbs, I no longer need a pack that has a 30-45 lb baseline. But I do need a pack that could occasionally go over 30 lbs. I tried several packs to replace my Aether. The Atmos 65 is a great pack for Sherpa dad duties. The osprey Exos seemed like a great pack but it just didn't fit me - Medium was too small and the large was too big. I couldn't get my hands on a granite gear to test, but multiple reviews revealed that the plastic frame sheet was prone to cracking. I tried ULA circuit, which ended up coming in a close 2nd place. The circuit's foam trapped a lot of heat, and the torso adjustment was OK but not great for me. It was an extremely well built pack though.

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Arc Haul. Higher volume than the Circuit. Vastly better load transfer than the Exos. Similar back venting as the Atmos. Better hip belt pockets than any of the Ospreys. My favorite feature is that the arc haul has an actual adjustable torso that allows the load lifters to do their job. As to the hip belt: like the Circuit, the belt has 2 small adjustment straps per side, which enables the narrow pad material to wrap around my hip bones and stay in place with absolutely zero sliding down. The only quirk is that the arc haul uses a horizontal metal bar to attach the hip belt to the pack. At lower weights <25 lbs, the pack is really comfortable. But when fully loaded and 35 lbs, you can feel the metal bar across the small of your back. It's not quite uncomfortable but it is awkward. But the fix is incredibly simple: an additional lumbar pad.

Some people view the "need" for an add-on lumbar pad as a weakness. Others would view it as a feature that allows you to customize the pack for your load.

Bottom line: this pack weighs less than 1/2 as much as others that I've tested but it swallows 30 pound loads with ease. And it is also well engineered and durable enough to last a full thru hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    My only pack experience this century is a ULA CATALYST. It was well equipped off the rack at Little River Trading Co. It was comfortable near it's claimed load limit.
    If I ever entertain another pack purchase, I will talk to the folks at Seek Outside in person.
    Wayne

Great packs. You do realize that hip belt pockets and lumbar pads are optional on the Seek Outside Packs right?

Not only that, the SO optional lumbar pads cost $45!

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    Great packs. You do realize that hip belt pockets and lumbar pads are optional on the Seek Outside Packs right?
    Bastards. Cross em off the list.

Quote Originally Posted by John M View Post
    "Another one bites the dust."
    I remember the belt pockets being optional. Didn't know about the lumbar pad. Hmmmmm....
    Wayne

I like the adjustability of the SMD Fusions.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++