WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Gaiters on the AT?

Are they worth the extra weight? If so, maybe only in certain areas at a certain time of year so I can just mail them in?

Yes and no? I prefer hiking in shorts so for me they make sense, at times. Especially in meadows or tall grass. Ticks and chiggers. ugh.

I use them in the spring when it's wet and muddy much of the time.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Dirty Girls with trail runners. Nice combo. Keeps the little pebbles out.

Regular gators, no.....Dirty Girls, don't go to the woods without them.

Journal Entries
    Images

I used gators on my thru.Ialways wore shorts and the gators I had almost came up to my knees. I wore them to keep warm, in the rain, where there was a lot of poison ivy or when there was tall grass along the trail.
    Grampie-N->2001

FWIW, I don't go for many hikes without gaiters of some type. Most of the time I use low gaiters (REI or Dirty Girl type) to keep bits of rock and duff from the trail out of my shoes and help shed dew from casual contact along the trail. If going for more than a few days, when I know there will be poison ivy/poison oak, snow, or bushwhacking involved I will bring a more robust pair that cover the shins to reduce contact with poisonous plants, scratches from brush and briar, and contact with insects. Most of the time I use the low gaiters though in cooler weather I may bring the taller gaiters along for added warmth.

The low gaiters I have weigh approximately 1.5 ounces, however like socks, they are typically worn during the day so pack weight is non-existant. I consider these to be a basic necessity given the amount of trail detritus that gets into boots and especially low trail shoes or runners.

I just never felt the need for gaiters. Not much really gets in, and what little does, doesn't bother me. Nothing that a 1 minute pit-stop can't fix.

I like tall gaiters for winter, especially if there may be snow or it's particularly cold (I wear trail runners). Really, really keeps my legs warm and keeps the snow out. Never bother the rest of the year, but I may invest in DG gaiters since I've been digging these tall ones so much this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Leonidas

The need or not of gaiters makes me believe it must have some tie in to how people strike with their foot. I heel strike and I have to wear gaiters or my shoes are full of crap.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by meghanc View Post
    Are they worth the extra weight? If so, maybe only in certain areas at a certain time of year so I can just mail them in?
    I didn't use gators for most of the trail, but when I started hiking in shorts every day I got tired of having to stop and clean out my shoes multiple times per day and finally bought some. They prevent wear and tear of your socks as well, since that trail detritus can be abrasive. Lightweight Dirty Girls gators go great with trail runners.

I've been trying to make my hiking stride flatter so I don't kick up junk compared to my normal city heel-first strike. The flatter foot plant is also supposed to be less wear on your ankles under load. On local trips (there's a greenway going most of the way to the nearest Walmart grocery, and I get 10 2-liter bottles of soda when I wear my big pack there for a 6-mile off-pavement "conditioning" hike) it seems to work pretty well to keep debris out of my shoes. So, based on these encouraging results, I plan to dispense with gaiters for my NoBo through hike next year.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Personal choice item - you love 'em or hate 'em. Personally they make my legs/ankles sweat so much I get a rash.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    Personal choice item - you love 'em or hate 'em. Personally they make my legs/ankles sweat so much I get a rash.
    They do make Goretex gaiters.

I think we're already talking the non-waterproof (good for debris protection only) gaiters, so those would be more breathable than the waterproof kind with Goretex.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I recently bought a pair, but just use them in the winter when there is deep snow.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Journal Entries

We bought gaiters a few years ago, used them one time. Then after a long disappearance when they could not be found, they showed up two days ago. We're taking them on a wet weekend trip to SW Virginia. Don't expect any snow to speak of, but maybe if we use them again, it will help to justify the money spent?

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    They do make Goretex gaiters.
    I've tried waterproof/breathable and just plain breathable fabrics. Doesn't make a difference for heavy-sweating activities like hiking - for me - YMMV. Even crew-length socks will do it.

Journal Entries

Why bring the extra gear? Your shoes will get wet/muddy....if you use trail runners, and darn tough socks, they can be cleaned in a creek and will dry out fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    Why bring the extra gear? Your shoes will get wet/muddy....if you use trail runners, and darn tough socks, they can be cleaned in a creek and will dry out fast.
    1. It's not just about keeping shoes and socks clean. It's about keeping pebbles, pine needles and similar small debris from getting into your shoes. Ie. the sort of thing that often calls for a short pack-off-break in order to correct.

2. Gaiters also provide protection and/or warmth for lower legs. Useful when walking in tall grass or prickly, grabby ground vegetation. Or protection from ticks and chiggers that live in that stuff. Useful for those of use who don't wear long pants while hiking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++