WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Recommendations for add-on hip belt pouches

I recently purchased a Granite Gear pack that has no hip belt pouches. I'm finding it harder than I expected to find some pouches to add on. I really like having the hip pouches to keep things like my phone, gloves, DEET, or sunscreen, etc. The Granite Gear pouches don't quite fit the bill because they are just a tad too small.

I'm using my phone as the basis for the size I need: it's a Samsung Galaxy S7 with a Lifeproof case, so it measures almost exactly 6" long. I'm looking for a couple pouches that would fit the phone without wrestling it in and out.

Anyone have any recommendations for add-on hip belt pouches in that size range that would work with a Granite Gear hip belt?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Leonidas

I have a GG Virga 2 with no hip pouches as well. I was looking at the ZPacks shoulder or hip pouches and then stumbled upon their neck pouch. Any of those should hold your phone.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

You can score a cheap surplus ammo pouch http://www.armynavysales.com/field-gear-pouches.aspx lots of sizes, colors, etc.

I have recently looked at the Zpacks pouch, but they say it measures 6", and I'm thinking I'd be having to almost force the phone in...stressing the seams, etc. They look great if not for that concern.

I do in fact have a number of military/molle compatible pouches, and love them. I've been hoping to find something lighter, but if all else fails I'll probably go with them.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Leonidas

Could have swore they were larger... The neck one is 5" x 7" weighs 1 oz. I considered trimming the cord and hanging it from my sternum strap.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Here is what I have tried. The ZPacks hip belt pockets on ULA Ohm and it did not attach well and was a pain. I would have had to do some sewing to make it work well. But the pocket size is big enough for a larger phone. I now use them on my ZPacks Arc Haul which has the proper attachments and it works fine. I have the Zimmerbuilt shoulder pockets but they barely fit my LG G4 and not at all using a LokSak. And the LG G4 is one of the smallest 5.5" screen phones on the market.

I have the zpack hip pouch and my iPhone 7plus fits in it with no problem no stress. My backpack came with one and I liked it so much I ordered another.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes the neck pouch is much larger...I just don't think a neck pouch is for me.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Well I guess a Zpacks might be worth a try. Thanks all for the info!
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

My S5 fits in the ZPacks hipbelt pouches with plenty of room to spare for snacks etc.

The ZPacks hip pouch fits my iPhone 6 Plus, but when I add an Anker waterproof case it's a tight fit -- almost too tight.

I had seen Massdrop's GG pack, that had pouches on the belt, and thought that maybe I could get a belt with pouches directly from GG. I contacted them, and they didn't have any spare belts, and they weren't sure it would fit my pack. Maybe if more of us asked, they might start looking into making a "universal" pack belt with pouches, and stocking it.

I put mountain laurel design pockets on my granite gear crown for my thru. Super light at about 1oz each.

GAME '16 4/18/16-8/12/16
    Trailjournal: http://www.trailjournals.com/jjdontplay
    Blog (Post Trail Gear Reviews): https://keeppushingon.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by jj dont play View Post
    I put mountain laurel design pockets on my granite gear crown for my thru. Super light at about 1oz each.

Love my MLD pack but hip pockets are very small...very doubtful that phone will fit as I'm in similar situation.....another reason to buy from a cottage company....Ron is making me a chest strap pouch for my BAP!

I use two MLD hip-belt pouches on my GG Blaze and they work great! Plenty of room for (most?) cell phone.

I'm honestly surprised the MLD pouches are big enough for a standard size (S7 or iPhone 7) phone. They're noticeably smaller than the ZPacks pouches.

My 7+ in LP case isn't even close....they're definitely much smaller than my circuit or gorilla.....

GA-ME Feb. 27th–July 1st, 2016 lwhikerchris's Avatar

Gossamer makes some nice hip belt pockets in various sizes and they're light.
    John GoodMan

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    I recently purchased a Granite Gear pack that has no hip belt pouches. I'm finding it harder than I expected to find some pouches to add on. I really like having the hip pouches to keep things like my phone, gloves, DEET, or sunscreen, etc. The Granite Gear pouches don't quite fit the bill because they are just a tad too small.

I'm using my phone as the basis for the size I need: it's a Samsung Galaxy S7 with a Lifeproof case, so it measures almost exactly 6" long. I'm looking for a couple pouches that would fit the phone without wrestling it in and out.

Anyone have any recommendations for add-on hip belt pouches in that size range that would work with a Granite Gear hip belt?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.
    I'm not familiar with your GG pack and the waist belt, can you attach MOLLE style pouches?

I use an older 90L military pack (yes, I'm a sadist) that doesn't have waist pockets either. I found this pouch from BDS Tactical and I love it.
    http://www.bdstacticalgear.com/cat-accessories.cfm

It easily holds my iPhone 6, flashlight, and a couple of protein bars. (Even two slots for magazines if you're so inclined). I don't know how it compares weight wise (I carry a 90L pack, duh!) so I can't compare it to lighter weight options.

The knife is for size comparison, full size Bench Made Griptillian.

Good luck with your search.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Love my MLD pack but hip pockets are very small...very doubtful that phone will fit as I'm in similar situation.....another reason to buy from a cottage company....Ron is making me a chest strap pouch for my BAP!

This was the issue I had with the MLD pockets. I ended up replacing them with Zpacks pockets on the hip belt and I was able to attach the MLD pocket to the side of my Arc Haul above the bottle pocket without any alterations. It added a handy place for my headlamp and other items I don't need instant access to, but don't want buried in the pack.
    “He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” –Socrates

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++