WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Question on the sleeping pad. Why the Klymit Insulated Static V-Lite pad VS say a Neo Air? I ask this because I'm going to try out hammocking this year and I was hoping to reuse my existing sleeping pad.
    I tried a Neoair xlite large in mine. It's 77"x25". The Klymit is 72"x23". The baffles in the neoair go across the pad. The pad doesn't like to bend into a taco shape once inflated which is what is required in a hammock. The baffles in the klymit are V shaped and there are 3 columns. And it bends quite easily at the tip of the V on the middle column of baffles too. so it wraps around you in 4 segments. The neoair just tried to stay flat. The ridgeline was 2 inches above my nose in the hammock and it bacame quite tippy. Maybe if it was underinflated a lot it would work better - but that would steal insulating value.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Question on the sleeping pad. Why the Klymit Insulated Static V-Lite pad VS say a Neo Air? I ask this because I'm going to try out hammocking this year and I was hoping to reuse my existing sleeping pad.
    I use a Neoaiir in my XLC and find it to be quite comfortable. YMMV. Comfort is very subjective and depends on how your specific body fits in a specific hammock and how you are hanging and adjusting the system. The advantage of a hammock is that it is very adjustable; the downside is that getting everything right requires some practice and different things work well for different people.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    I tried a Neoair xlite large in mine. It's 77"x25". The Klymit is 72"x23". The baffles in the neoair go across the pad. The pad doesn't like to bend into a taco shape once inflated which is what is required in a hammock. The baffles in the klymit are V shaped and there are 3 columns. And it bends quite easily at the tip of the V on the middle column of baffles too. so it wraps around you in 4 segments. The neoair just tried to stay flat. The ridgeline was 2 inches above my nose in the hammock and it bacame quite tippy. Maybe if it was underinflated a lot it would work better - but that would steal insulating value.
    I think you are hanging your hammock at way too shallow of an angle if that's the case. The XLC needs a nice bend and the foot needs to be a good 18" higher than the head before it really starts to get comfortable. I highly recommend the Shugemery Youtube vidieos on the XLC for some very good tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I use a Neoaiir in my XLC and find it to be quite comfortable. YMMV. Comfort is very subjective and depends on how your specific body fits in a specific hammock and how you are hanging and adjusting the system. The advantage of a hammock is that it is very adjustable; the downside is that getting everything right requires some practice and different things work well for different people.
    which size neoair are you using? 20" wide? or 25"

The 25" wide one

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I think you are hanging your hammock at way too shallow of an angle if that's the case. The XLC needs a nice bend and the foot needs to be a good 18" higher than the head before it really starts to get comfortable. I highly recommend the Shugemery Youtube vidieos on the XLC for some very good tips.
    I don't have an XLC (anymore - most uncomfortable hammock I owned - calfridge city). The hammock I used to try the Neoair was a Dream Hammock Dangerbird.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++