WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Hammock Transition Advice - Staying lightweight

I currently use a zpacks hexamid tarp and zlite sol pad that weighs 22.4 ounces total including stakes and ground cloth. I am in the process of planning a 300+ mile trip that is not on the AT and am rethinking my gear a bit.

Last summer I was a chaperone on a boy scouts 50 mile badge hike. One of the rules for the scouts was that they use hammocks so I bought a Warbonnet XLC and used it on the trip with a big blue heavy flat tarp. There were lots of things to like about this but I did get chilly. I liked that I didn't need to find a flat or a dry spot. I like the idea of not needing to find a flat spot and camping when I am ready to stop vs when I find a suitable ground site.

The only thing I own so far is the single layer multicam XLC. I am currently looking at summer insulation options and tarps. If I use the XLC, Edge Tarp, and Yeti under quilt the system I would weigh 51.4 ounces. If I bump up to the Wookie underquilt and Mambajamba tarp I'm looking at 62.9 ounces. I have spent a lot of effort to shed ounces so I'm having a hard time adding pounds back on.

What would your ideal light weight system be with the XLC for summer use?

or

Would you sell the XLC and go with something lighter altogether?

You have nicely explained the hammock vs tent weight/convenience/ease of setup matrix but IMO left out the factor that pushed most of us to hammocks in the first place . . . comfort.

Although some claim that they can get their hammock setup as light as their ground dwelling setup, I remain skeptical. You'd need the highest fp for your top quilt and under quilt and a cuben tarp to get close. Nevertheless, for me, the comfort factor alone is worth it.

Comfort... I agree. I concern myself about weight but am not an UL kind of backpacker. For a few years my go to tent was a CS2, so when I switched over to hammock I never noticed the difference in weight. It has been relatively easy to put together an all weather hammock set up that I can take down into the low twenties or high teens without suffering a weight penalty. My shoulder season set up includes a synthetic UQ along with a z-rest. I sleep fine on the foam in the hammock and I like always having it as a option if I decide on a shelter or the ground.

Another reason for thinking about switching is that I feel like I would be less exposed to ticks up off the ground.

My hammocking set-up is as light as my ground set up. Dutch netless 11ft hammock, Fronkey bug net (not always needed), Hammock Gear CF winter tarp, LLG 10* TQ and UQ. This weighs around 70oz which is right around the same as my Duplex, Klymit pad and EE Convert. The hammocking set up could be lighter if I didn't have 10* quilts and used a hex tarp instead of the large winter palace.

My tent setup vs hammock is within a few ounces. I agree about the ticks. Being off the ground is one less vector. I tend to sleep a little better on the ground but I prefer to take my hammock.

Images

Sounds as if the OP is comparing apples to butterflies. Not even a tent system is as light as his tarp alone. Nor does he include whats on top of him in either system. Sleeping bags are heavier than TQs.

In my experience (I've used several set-ups of both) a tent/sleep system and a hammock/sleep system weigh very close to the same thing, but not as light as a tarp alone or cowboy camping.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Your question got me thinking about what I use for my ground system and my hammock system and how they compared weight wise.

I used to use a 10x10 tarp, Tyvek groundsheet, NeoAir pad, stakes and guylines, and bugnet for a total of approximately 76.8 ounces.

My hammock setup with hammock w/ suspension, bugnet, tq, uq, hex tarp with with doors, and stakes and guylines is approximately 77 ounces.

So no incredible change for me. I know I could have gone lighter with the tarp for my ground setup, but I enjoyed the space and I could fit my 10 year old daughter when she went hiking with me. She now carries her own 8oz hammock and 10oz tarp.

Hammocks do have comfort going for them, and no middle of the night adjustment from sliding down hill because of slightly unlevel ground.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You'll have a hard time getting a hammock system down as light as your current, ground pounding configuration. Although there are lighter options out there, the XLC is a good start as your base hammock. You can shed some weight where bugs are not a problem by going with a net less hammock. My recommendation is to get a Simply Light Designs Treerunner in single layer 1.6 HyperDXL (trust me, get the wide hammock). Also get the knotty mod on both sides. For a good three season top and bottom quilt option I would recommend a Hammock Gear Phoenix underquilt and Burrow topquilt. As a good compromise, get the quilts custom made to a 30 degree rating. All you have to do is buy the 40 degree quilts and add the two ounce overfill option. However, you've got to tell them to make the baffles for 30 degrees, there is no extra charge beyond the down upgrade. As for the tarp, since you have already swallowed hard and bought cuben fiber, either the Hammock Gear or Zpacks cuben fiber tarp will do ( I would probably go for the Zpacks). I would also recommend you get the tarp with doors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not discussed yet: is the weight of a groundcloth and pad for when you need to go to ground. It adds to the hammock system weight. For me, it's worth it.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Does anyone have experience with the Yeti underquilt vs the Wookie? Would the Yeti suffice without needing an additional pad in the summer months when the average low is around 50 at night?

Quote Originally Posted by lukabrazi View Post
    Does anyone have experience with the Yeti underquilt vs the Wookie? Would the Yeti suffice without needing an additional pad in the summer months when the average low is around 50 at night?
    I've used the yeti down to about 25. I carry 4 sections of a therm a test folding pad for use as a sit pad and for foot insulation. That combination has served me quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Not discussed yet: is the weight of a groundcloth and pad for when you need to go to ground. It adds to the hammock system weight. For me, it's worth it.
    I bring the Gossamer Gear 3/4 length Night Light pad. Perfect for putting under my legs to make up for the HG Phoenix and going to ground. Only weighs 6oz.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

1= It's hard to beat the weight of a Zpacks Hexamed Tarp, pad Ground Cloth with any other Shelter System. To me, this is a 3rd Catagory - if Tents are the 2nd and Hammocks are the 1st Catagory. Each has Pro's and Con's. You have to decide which out weighs the other, both literally and figuratively.

You cannot find a lighter tarp than the Edge, (unless you pay $ for certain CF Tarp for Hammocks, see my issue below). Could the Hexamed Tarp be custom configured to be a Hammock Tarp? I would check into that. You cannot find a lighter UQ than the Warbonnet Yeti 20º - that's why it is a 3/4 length. Yet, you must consider either all or a portion of your Zlite Sol Pad for the missing 1/4 and feet insulation into your weight calculation. I use a Dutch Sit Pad with mine and have been find down into the low 20's. If this is just summer camping than this is really a none issue. You could also use the Pad inside lightweight Packs. Finally, the XLC is a wonderful Hammock, with features unique to this hammock and Warbonnet in general. Before I would sell an XLC, I would decide overall wants/needs for a broad spectrum of trips rather than one summer experience. I'm not sure I would change anything for one trip and without a great deal of thought. If I knew that weight was 80% of all variables for choosing a hammock, I would probably compare it to the Dutch Half Wit. If the other Variable factored in was Bug/Cold and Versatility, I would probably compare it to the new Dutch Chameleon.

I may not be the best to ask, because I only use a 10ft Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1 and chose it over the 11ft XLC. The reasons are that I am comfortable with the 10ft, never really remove the bugnet (including in the winter), enjoy the footbox and storage flap, comfort ability and I like the final hammock weight of 29 oz. This winter, I just switched out the Edge for the HG CF Palace Tarp for coverage and actually increased my weight from 12.75oz up to 13.50oz. Perfectly satisfied, yet I still keep getting intrigued by the Chameleon. Isn't new gear exciting but older gear still feels the most comfortable.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Clearly you over thunk? I go to ground and still use two trees, The stretch will "bottom out" and there is less than a 3/4 Silver thermarest under me now. (I cut it up)Others can still use a reflective silver blanket. The wind got me last time so I now pitch into the wind each hike.

Folks don't forget vapor barriers and 20 gallon trash bags for the legs.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

You will be able to sell your XLC for almost what you paid for it on hammockforums and get yourself something lighter and more comfortable (XLC has a bad calf ridge problem)

Dutchware Half Wit Hammock 1.0 Hexon with suspension..... 14 oz
    HammockGear Cuben tarp with doors.... 7 oz
    Klymit Insulated Static V-Lite pad (you should have a pad instead of underquilt if you want to ever sleep in a shelter or go to ground)..... 19 oz

Total 40 oz.

This system will easily get you to 20F assuming your bag or quilt is rated that low. The klymit is the perfect hammock pad and works better than other, better ground pads in a hammock (i.e. Neoairs) due to it's baffle shape and width.

This is exactly why m considering the Klymit. I will still be going to ground in a tent when I take my daughters hiking and the Klymit sounds like it will fill both roles.

While we're on this subject, a quick question on the weight of the full Chameleon system: how does it compare weight wise and does it require a tarp?

Whats on top of me won't change so it doesn't matter. I use a zpacks slim long 40 degree bag in the summer. 13.2 with the cuben stuff sack. Also I'm not really trying to be sold on hammocks or comparing the two. Just asking for advice on keeping things simple and light. I'm light enough with everything that it is no big deal for me to carry more for additional comfort or something that will work better for the trip. That being said, this will probably be about two pounds heavier than what I have used for the last five years so I wanted some advice before spending the money.

Thank you! This is great. I'm going to check all of this out.

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    You will be able to sell your XLC for almost what you paid for it on hammockforums and get yourself something lighter and more comfortable (XLC has a bad calf ridge problem)

Dutchware Half Wit Hammock 1.0 Hexon with suspension..... 14 oz
    HammockGear Cuben tarp with doors.... 7 oz
    Klymit Insulated Static V-Lite pad (you should have a pad instead of underquilt if you want to ever sleep in a shelter or go to ground)..... 19 oz

Total 40 oz.

This system will easily get you to 20F assuming your bag or quilt is rated that low. The klymit is the perfect hammock pad and works better than other, better ground pads in a hammock (i.e. Neoairs) due to it's baffle shape and width.

Also I had never heard of the Chameleon. That looks awesome!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++