WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

but improving my skills and going with less has given me more freedom on the trail in my opinion

Ba-da-bing!

Another advantage of bivy/cowboy is that it really opens up stealth camp opportunities.

I'm neither confirming, denying, nor advocating for or against stealth camping (so let's don't flame, OK?), but I might or might not have thrown down a bivy/bag and slept on the rocks in the Catskills (or was it the Daks?) a time or two. Get there late, watch the sunset, have some dinner, a wee nip and fall asleep. If the spot is big enough to lie down, you're good to go. Vastly expands choices.

Quote Originally Posted by sethd513 View Post
    I just opened up my snowyside event bivy with Cuban floor. First impression about the floor was yes thin but manageable. Unfortunately I don't have the means to hike thousands of miles every year. I do see this bivy with care lasting a while.

Like muddywaters said there is no do it all shelter. I was hoping this would be it but it won't be as the bug netting is finicky.

I think though the oz or 2 on the shelter that you save,then finding the little things you can swap or leave out to save a half oz or oz makes a big difference in the end. And keeps it interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The CF floor is a custom option since the Snowyside usually has sil/pu coated floor. What did the wt come out to be and the final cost? What wt CF for the bottom? This might be very competitive with the MLD eVent 3 ply top 1.3 CF bottom at a lower price pt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    The CF floor is a custom option since the Snowyside usually has sil/pu coated floor. What did the wt come out to be and the final cost? What wt CF for the bottom? This might be very competitive with the MLD eVent 3 ply top 1.3 CF bottom at a lower price pt.
    This bivy was built with .75 floor with an added footbox vent with flap, wp zipper and bug mesh. Also the girth size was increased by 10% as I wanted to make sure my deep winter set up would fit well. With shockcord on the head and foot tie outs, 4 corner tie outs, removable face bug netting w/cf stuff sack and a larger sil nylong stuff sack it comes in at 13.4 oz.

Without the stuff sacks and face mesh it's 12 oz. to my door it was 255$. Also there were a ton of emails back and forth with me bothering john with questions and him making sure dimensions would be spot on. Great customer service. If I ever need a pack built he will be the first I go to.

Mld says bivys are shipping in two weeks. Anything you guys want to see on mine when I receive it?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have the .75 cuben floor on my MLD Cricket tarp/bivy. I always use a tyvek groundsheet underneath it though. CF is tough but not especially puncture resistant and I doubt that a 1.0 oz CF would be much better than a .75 if you set up on a thorn. I guess some would consider it silly to spend a bunch of $ on UL cuben fiber and then carry around a 4oz tyvek sheet but it's multi-role comfort item for me (sit pad, emergency naps, extra ground insulation, quick rain cover, etc) so it's coming along regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayne View Post
    I have the .75 cuben floor on my MLD Cricket tarp/bivy. I always use a tyvek groundsheet underneath it though. CF is tough but not especially puncture resistant and I doubt that a 1.0 oz CF would be much better than a .75 if you set up on a thorn. I guess some would consider it silly to spend a bunch of $ on UL cuben fiber and then carry around a 4oz tyvek sheet but it's multi-role comfort item for me (sit pad, emergency naps, extra ground insulation, quick rain cover, etc) so it's coming along regardless.
    Even if it's only purpose was to protect your shelter floor I wouldn't say it's a bad idea to carry something of that weight. I personally don't like polycro because it's so slick and I have to order the kite tyvek so I just use what's in the box store at the time. But I have a sheet of all of them to use. I'll compare when I pack my bag. New items I usually go with something heavier till I'm totally happy with my understanding of that gear.

but improving my skills and going with less has given me more freedom on the trail in my opinion

Ba-da-bing!

Another advantage of bivy/cowboy is that it really opens up stealth camp opportunities.

I'm neither confirming, denying, nor advocating for or against stealth camping (so let's don't flame, OK?), but I might or might not have thrown down a bivy/bag and slept on the rocks in the Catskills (or was it the Daks?) a time or two. Get there late, watch the sunset, have some dinner, a wee nip and fall asleep. If the spot is big enough to lie down, you're good to go. Vastly expands choices.

This ^^^

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++