WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Is my Fancy feast alcohol stove supposed to boil the fuel?

I built a fancy feast cat food can stove using the cat food can a 2" piece of aluminum stadium bottle and some fiberglass cloth used in automotive repair. I'm using heet from the yellow bottle. Is this normal or do I need to change anything? I also use a windscreen but it's not shown in the video. I am on the east coast and wondering if being at sea level has any affect over this. https://youtu.be/Kur9r6_I1M4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, the boiling fuel is normal. It usually can't be seen in enclosed pepsi stoves, but in an open stove it's noticeable. The open style stove is simple but not too efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    Yes, the boiling fuel is normal. It usually can't be seen in enclosed pepsi stoves, but in an open stove it's noticeable. The open style stove is simple but not too efficient.
    Thank you. I've been afraid to use it since testing it.

I boil 2-4 cups of water with .75 oc of fuel in about 5 min with my fancy feast open stove, are other options more efficient then that? Ive been really happy with mine
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

except the Fancee Feast is not an open stove. the pot rests on the inner ring and flame comes from the alcohol that is wicked up the exterior wall. the stove is very efficient. as Gambit says, 3/4oz alcohol is good to to boil oz16 water...

Images

Fuel should be poured into the center of the stove and then the pot placed onto the pot support. Wait for 1/2 min. for fuel to be absorbed into wick and then light the wick. You should not be seeing boiling alcohol. Something is wrong with your use of the stove.

I have not watched the video, my portable wifi gets sucked up when I watch videos.
    Last edited by zelph; 02-08-2017 at 20:30.

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Fuel should be poured into the center of the stove and then the pot placed onto the pot support. Wait for 1/2 min. for fuel to be absorbed into wick and then light the wick. You should not be seeing boiling alcohol. Something is wrong with your use of the stove.

I have not watched the video, my portable wifi gets sucked up when I watch videos.
    Thanks Zelph for responding. I'm bowing to you. I'm not worthy I'm not worthy. You are an exceptional stove builder and your words are gold in the stove building community. I'm going out to try the stove your way. My fuel was boiling after I removed the boiling water. It was about a half oz of boiling fuel that was remaining in the stove. I'm still new to the stove building but I'm learning a lot from reading what everyone has to say. Thank you for your wisdom. I'm not worthy I'm not worthy.
    Dennis

Images

Kuddos to you for building your own. Ok...after the pot is taken off and you look into the center of the stove it's normal to see the remaining fuel boiling. The flame continues to touch the pot support which in turn transfers the heat down into the remaining fuel and causes it to boil.

Designing stoves is fun. Using them to heat water and cook is even more fun Sharing the knowledge is the most fun and seeing others make them is rewarding

Journal Entries
    Images

The open style stove is simple but not too efficient.
    I honestly must have missed something,because I cannot think of A stove more efficient.
    If I die trying now I wont die wondering how life could have turned out.....

I bought one of these because a) I didn't want to source a few inches of material and b) the man made an awesome stove, lets reward him.

Question for you stove users - does the pot stand/inner ring get red hot when you're using it? Mine gets a nice orangey glow around the two vent holes in the stand.

Also, on first burn, I'm getting some yellow flame mixed in, do you think I'm seeing dirt/etc on the wick, or perhaps impurities in the fuel? It's not worrying, just wondering if its normal.

Journal Entries
    Images

I bought one of these because a) I didn't want to source a few inches of material and b) the man made an awesome stove, lets reward him.

Question for you stove users - does the pot stand/inner ring get red hot when you're using it? Mine gets a nice orangey glow around the two vent holes in the stand.
    I agree,even though I make some versions of the FF burner I also have bought about every burner ZELPH has made and always been great burners,defiantly A step ahead of the rest.
    As far as your other question,I have never noticed it honestly but it has never malfunctioned or heated the aluminum to the point of it losing its shape or becoming fragile after using it daily for two thru hikes totaling about 1600 miles.

Awesome, thanks. Seems like a great stove so far.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post

Also, on first burn, I'm getting some yellow flame mixed in, do you think I'm seeing dirt/etc on the wick, or perhaps impurities in the fuel? It's not worrying, just wondering if its normal.
    Thank you for purchasing the FF :-)

It's normal to get the yellowish flames on the initial start up. I suspect the lubricants used on the fiberglass thread for the purpose of weaving it, is the cause. Goes away after 2 or 3 burns.

I have not used the stove since I started punching the small holes that prevent pressure build up inside the stove. I'll have to fire one up this evening to observe the orange glow...an added plus for evening water heating :-)

My store site will be close tomorrow afternoon for 2 weeks while I relocate for the summer. Saturday is the last day I will be shipping. Items ordered tomorrow will ship on Sat.

I think the "boiling" is probably due to the fact that there is some water in the alcohol.

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the "boiling" is probably due to the fact that there is some water in the alcohol.
    The alcohol always boils thus expanding.
    In pressurized type stoves like the soda can stove it is when the alcohol boils and expands that forces the pressure to push it out if the jets os the burner.
    In this instance it does not need to build pressure because the FF burner needs no priming ... But the fuel will still boil and expand.

++ New Posts ++