WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Flip Flopping after a hip replacement

This sounds some sorta crazy but I am going to attempt a thru-hike in 2017 after major surgery. In October of 2015 I had a horrible accident I was out on a first date and she was driving me home when she drove into the side of a train going 45 miles an hour. As a result I broke both my femurs my left knee and right hip were destroyed.
    Thinking SoBo from HF then NoBo it from HF to Maine.
    I plan on taking my time. Hopefully I will be sponsored by some companies to help lower the cost....
    Any thoughts on this?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    CSS

Quote Originally Posted by glassman View Post
    This sounds some sorta crazy but I am going to attempt a thru-hike in 2017 after major surgery. In October of 2015 I had a horrible accident I was out on a first date and she was driving me home when she drove into the side of a train going 45 miles an hour. As a result I broke both my femurs my left knee and right hip were destroyed.
    Thinking SoBo from HF then NoBo it from HF to Maine.
    I plan on taking my time. Hopefully I will be sponsored by some companies to help lower the cost....
    Any thoughts on this?

Sounds good, I would only suggest doing the NoBo first so you don't run into time constraints getting to Maine. This way you can truly take your time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know about this. NOBO or SOBO from Harpers Ferry, the trail is pretty rough as far as footing goes. It's very rocky and uneven. I took one of my worst spills coming down one the "roller Coaster" hills just south of Harpers Ferry when I stepped on a loose rock and my feet went out from under me. I ended up with a bad scrape on my arm and was lucky I didn't take out my elbow. I was SO glad to finally get out of PA so I didn't have to walk like a drunken sailor anymore, staggering over, around and between rocks.

The trail in GA/NC is much easier to walk on. The ups and downs are longer and the hills higher, but the footing is so much better. The footing starts to get rough in Virginia and some of the ridge walks are on rock which slopes at a good 30 degree angle and is really hard to walk on if it's wet.

I would start at Springer in the spring and just see how far you can go.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I really applaud you for trying this.

I'm not trying to be funny but, was there a second date?

Journal Entries

Well......so after being sedated for 3 days a they moved the two of us from the hospital to a rehab facility where we were next door neighbors for about a month.

CSS

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FiftyNine View Post
    Sounds good, I would only suggest doing the NoBo first so you don't run into time constraints getting to Maine. This way you can truly take your time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    See I kinda want Maine to be my last stop. Who knows if I have to flip a second time to get it in before it's closed, I will..... and have a different summit be my terminus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't know about this. NOBO or SOBO from Harpers Ferry, the trail is pretty rough as far as footing goes. It's very rocky and uneven. I took one of my worst spills coming down one the "roller Coaster" hills just south of Harpers Ferry when I stepped on a loose rock and my feet went out from under me. I ended up with a bad scrape on my arm and was lucky I didn't take out my elbow. I was SO glad to finally get out of PA so I didn't have to walk like a drunken sailor anymore, staggering over, around and between rocks.

The trail in GA/NC is much easier to walk on. The ups and downs are longer and the hills higher, but the footing is so much better. The footing starts to get rough in Virginia and some of the ridge walks are on rock which slopes at a good 30 degree angle and is really hard to walk on if it's wet.

I would start at Springer in the spring and just see how far you can go.

CSS

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by orthofingers View Post
    I really applaud you for trying this.

I'm not trying to be funny but, was there a second date?
    Thanks,!,by the way for the encouraging words!!!!

CSS

Glassman, you are definitely not crazy. I can relate. I attempted the thru hike NOBO from Springer last year. I had to return home after 574 miles due to an injury. After a complete hip replacement, two knee procedures and two lumbar epidural injections, I'm planning to return on May 1st and continue north from where I left off. Perhaps we'll meet and exchange war stories.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tahoeturner View Post
    Glassman, you are definitely not crazy. I can relate. I attempted the thru hike NOBO from Springer last year. I had to return home after 574 miles due to an injury. After a complete hip replacement, two knee procedures and two lumbar epidural injections, I'm planning to return on May 1st and continue north from where I left off. Perhaps we'll meet and exchange war stories.
    Thanks Tahoeturner!
    That would be great! On my previous hikes I've usually been right around 70 pounds........recconsidering the balance of Creature Comforts versus weight is going to drive me to CRAZY! HAHA

CSS

You are to be commended for accepting such a challenge. Six knee surgeries, two knee replacements, several shoulder surgeries, and a bad back were not caused by an accident, but by abuse in college sports.

Pack weight, pace and footwear will make or break both of us on the AT. Because most of my gear was purchased in the 1970's I have planned a 2018 section hike, flip flop, or even a thru hike of the AT. This will provide time for research and replacing outdated equipment that at 14 years of age I could easily handle. I have continued using a Kelty Tioga backpack (first addition) @ 7.5 pds, Eureka Timberline tent 8.5 pds. foam sleeping pad, and a polarguard sleeping bag (made before temperature ratings) for all my backpacking and hunting trips until knee replacement.

The big four weighed 23.5 pds. Because of the information provided on this forum, this weight has already been reduced to under 10 pds. As far as footwear I am looking for traction, support, comfort, and breathability. Please understand, I am not an expert. These conclusions are based on what has been learned on the forum and research. Good luck and keep us posted.

Doesn't sound crazy at all to me. I just had the first of two hip replacements and I have set a goal to section hike the trail as part of my mental and physical recovery once I've recovered from both. I would love to follow your journey and I wish you well. I understand how important this is to you because at 53 I'm way too young to have two titanium hips. It'd be cool to quote Lt. Dan from Forrest Gump about my magic hips when I got to Maine; "titanium alloy, just like they use on the space shuttle".

Do it...providing your doc says it's OK. My doc told me to do it along with about anything else.

I had total hip done in March 2016 at 59yo. I've led a pretty active life and apparently my body wasn't up to the task. At about 57yo I had to quit playing hockey, running, baseball, etc.

I still ride my dirt bike. Yesterday had a pretty good crash and frankly on the way down was concerned. But no damage other than being a bit sore.

Never stop.

I was planning on doing a thru hike next year but my parents' health has taken a turn for the worse so I'm needed at home. No telling when I'll have the time...but I gladly put my interests aside.

Best of luck to Glassman, TahoeTurner and Zornoff.
    Last edited by StillMoving; 05-14-2017 at 23:22.

I'm scheduled for an anterior hip replacement in June 2017. I'm looking at completing the 1st 50ish miles from Springer to Unicoi Gap in the fall. Potential thru hike in 2018 or 2019. For anyone with joint replacement low pack weight is a must. Best of luck to everyone!

Journal Entries

Instead of total hip replacement, consult your surgeon about the Birmingham Hip Resurfacing (BHR). BHR is a much better alternative to total hip replacement. I had BHR done in January 2013.

If you are concerned about your physical condition I wonder if you would want to start easy for 10 days to two weeks as a shake-down. You could start in Pittsburgh on the Great Allegheny trail which would be about 200 miles to Harper's Ferry. This is thought of as a gravel and RR bed cycle touring trail but it would allow you to hike yourself into shape on easy terrain as you get to Harpers Ferry, make any changes to your set-up there, then hit the AT proper. You could also start in DC and hike the C&O for about 70 miles to get to Harper's Ferry for a shorter shake down.

Not crazy at all! I had my hip replacement done 9 years ago (after a trampoline accident) and have been section hiking ever since. Have about 400 miles completed now. the only part that gets a bit sore is not the hip itself, but the thigh area where the rod goes into the bone. But it's only minor. I plan on thru-hiking when I retire (and have another replacement) Happy hiking!

Check out the trail journal of Flash 52, who was told he'd never walk again after a severe hip injury. I met this man near Mahoosic Notch last year, and he was truly an inspiration.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/520907

++ New Posts ++