WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hard Shell Recommendations

The situation: I'm heading out for an overnight this weekend in Shenandoah and it's supposed to be chilly but also snow. Usually I wear a puffy as my outer layer but not safe to do that in the snow. So I am in need of hardshell recommendations that I can have in my hand by Friday. I live in walking distance of an REI and I have Amazon prime so those are my two options.

Does not need to be a long term solution so cheap is ok. Just need to survive the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
    The situation: I'm heading out for an overnight this weekend in Shenandoah and it's supposed to be chilly but also snow. Usually I wear a puffy as my outer layer but not safe to do that in the snow. So I am in need of hardshell recommendations that I can have in my hand by Friday. I live in walking distance of an REI and I have Amazon prime so those are my two options.

Does not need to be a long term solution so cheap is ok. Just need to survive the weekend
    Cheap and hardshell...well, it IS the end of the season...

I prefer Mountain Hardwear hardshells with DryQElite. I got my last two on Sierra Trading Post dot com on sale for under $150 each. If you just want cheap coverage, the Marmot PreCip would work just fine...REI should have it...

Whatever you do, don't look at Arcteryx! My awesome, fabulous, saliva-coated-cuz-I-drool-on-it rain shell put me back several hundred dollars - - -

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Another vote for Mountain Hardware. I think every hiker in the world starts out with a Marmot Precip though.

Images

Marmot Precip is definitely common out there, lots to like about that shell in terms of features and cost. Not the most breathable. Easy to find.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Default Hard Shell Recommendations

I got a precip recently from rei garage. I think it's a good rain jacket, especially for the price. The pit zips are a big plus. One of the shock cords in the hood snapped from a wind gust though. Not sure if that was a freak occurrence or a design flaw.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

OR Helium 2 over Houdini has worked well for me in cold precipitation....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frogg Toggs have worked well for me, and are not expensive.

I'd get Frog Toggs over A Marmot Precip. I started the AT with a new Precip. By the time I was halfway through the DWR finish was wetting out and there were multiple areas where the inner laminate had peeled/flaked away. I patched those with silicone and limped the thing along to Katahdin. I then dumped it in the trash at the nearest opportunity.

++ New Posts ++