WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shuttle into Gunnison from CT trailhead on HWY 114

Hi all - anyone have a lead on someone who offers shuttles into Gunnison? I'd be coming from the CT trailhead on highway 114 and would love a lift back the next morning also. Traveling solo so prefer not to hitch. Thanks!

Try Wanderlust Hotel in Gunnison. One of my favorite hostels and favorite CT trail towns.

I've hitched from where the CT crosses Hwy 114. It's on a bend though so I found best to walk down hill a bit where exists a wider shoulder for cars to pull over at a pull over on a dirt road the CT crosses further south. Beware it will likely be a two part hitch. I've done it twice . Into Gunny in 35 mins one time. Harder hitch back out. Other time took me an hr to get a ride and then 5 mins to get the second part into Gunny. Took 15 mins the other time to get my first ride and at a train museum another hr.

I tried them... they don't do shuttles. Thanks for the rec though.

Heather = all thumbs? CT Hiker To Town/CT Hiker To Trail

Coloradans are outdoorsy people and Gunny is a locals town so put on a smile, make eye contact as vehicles approach, make sure prospects see you're a hiker, keep your awareness about you, limp like you're in distress, and you will be fine.

Thanks for this - I'm very aware of hitching as an option, and have done/will do it in a pinch, but as a woman traveling solo I'm very glad to pay someone for a prearranged pickup. This is what I'm looking for. Thanks for any leads.

Try contacting the Colorado Trail foundation at 303.384-3279, www.coloradotrail.org, [email protected]. I read they maintain a shuttle list. You might also try Rocky Rides (800) 252-1854.

Looks like there are 2 taxis services in Gunnison, might be a place to start. While I would never guarantee someone's safety, DW is right about folks in Colorado and giving someone backpacking a lift is not unusual.

Great idea to try the Ctf - will do - thanks!
    I found Rocky Rides; they wanted $175 each way! I was thinking more like $50. Yikes!

My daughter and I just did Salt Creek in Canyonlands NP. We ended up doing an in and out of 25 miles. The local shuttle in Moab, Coyote, wanted $250 to pickup at the car campground and take us back to Cathedral Buttes TH. I am like damn, for $250, you should get a limo, burger and bourbon.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosh View Post
    My daughter and I just did Salt Creek in Canyonlands NP. We ended up doing an in and out of 25 miles. The local shuttle in Moab, Coyote, wanted $250 to pickup at the car campground and take us back to Cathedral Buttes TH. I am like damn, for $250, you should get a limo, burger and bourbon.
    Not unusual if the conditions on Beef Basin Rd are sketchy which at this time of yr they can be... right after snow out, mud, ruts...

Images

I will be making daily trips to Gunnison from the 114 trailhead this July. We will be angelling at the 18/19 junction. We take everybody for free. Let me know if you will be in the area. APPLE

Images

If you contact the CT foundation office, they have a list of shuttle drivers that will do this. I got a shuttle from Salida to 114 this way. It's a great list of Trail Angles,

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Heather, are you sure you want to post your phone number and email on a public forum seen by thousands of people? May want to PM apple directly instead. Then the message you wrote can be deleted.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Heather, are you sure you want to post your phone number and email on a public forum seen by thousands of people? May want to PM apple directly instead. Then the message you wrote can be deleted.
    TU for reminding all of us Mags. Yup! You want YOUR HIKE - YOUR LIFE to be YOUR HIKE - YOUR LIFE! Don't give out personal info publicly.

Gave out entirely too much personal info on Facebook yrs ago regarding hiking, horticulture/landscaping, and traveling experiences resulting in 100's of Facebook requests each time I signed on. Later, unsolicited personal ph calls, from all manner of crowd sourcing folks I didn't know ensued, who then expected a FT personal librarian therapist traveling agent horticultural interning hiking guide. Facebook had the largest IPO value in tech history not just because it connected so many through social media making it a huge economic marketing and recreational platform but because the massive data gathering was worth so much and was going to be shared and profitted on by unknown entities in infinite situations. Information gathering/data mining is worth $billions if not $trillions. It's what some would say keeps Nations secure. Intelligence gathering(surveillance) and analysis is the main goal of... The Information Age works both ways letting the individual access more info than ever before. The FLIP SIDE that isn't recognized as often is that your info is also available to others more than ever before. It also results in the controlling of information. Facebook's market capitalization went to $105 BILLION with some analysis saying it could reach a market cap of $1 TRILLION.

That was a bit different but same idea. Don't give out personal info publicly.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto what Mags said. I cringed when I saw the personal data.

Even when you send a PM, substitute "at" for @ in the email, and write out a couple of the numbers in the phone number to break up the string. You see that on Craigslist.

All - thanks for the critiques. Thought I was sending a private message. Have contacted Whiteblaze to please remove it.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Removed. Also, any posts can be deleted, edited, etc. for a donation:
    https://whiteblaze.net/forum/payments.php
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by manzana View Post
    I will be making daily trips to Gunnison from the 114 trailhead this July. We will be angelling at the 18/19 junction. We take everybody for free. Let me know if you will be in the area. APPLE
    Apple
    Curious when you usually leave 114 to head into gunnison daily? Any idea of shuttle options getting back out in morning? Thx for what you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

We stay in Gunny every night so we will bring you back in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by manzana View Post
    We stay in Gunny every night so we will bring you back in the morning.
    Great thx!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++