WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Thoughts on TRT as first long hike for wife and 11 year old...

Looking ahead to summer and another option is taking wife, kid and pup out west mid July to thru TRT. Both are weekend 40+\~ mile hikers. Looking at this as a good longer hike with the beauty out west...thoughts....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This summer? You might want to wait and see when the trail is clear.
    Otherwise, seems like a moderately difficult trail. Ironically, a friend who is working his way around the trail, water sources can be somewhat scarce.
    If/when the thawing begins, the locals can tell you more about trail conditions.
    There are cabs in the area for shutting. Possibly public transportation from the Reno airport.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

We absolutely loved the TRT! Gone were the green tunnels and in came the wild open views. We actually combined it with the PCT and did a TRT-JMT thru-hike all rolled into one hike.

Sounds like you have a good base of training with ~40 mile weekend hikes, I'm assuming with full pack weights. In addition to what was already said, also be aware of possible altitude sickness, coming from sea level. We had a touch of nausea and headache at the beginning of our hike.

Our journal should give you info on travel arrangements, direction we hiked, resupply, etc. The journal can be found here: http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=361606

Our video can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRLDsFXOwBQ

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Otherwise, seems like a moderately difficult trail. Ironically, a friend who is working his way around the trail, water sources can be somewhat scarce.
    If/when the thawing begins, the locals can tell you more about trail conditions.
    There are cabs in the area for shutting. Possibly public transportation from the Reno airport.
    Good luck.
    Wayne

Yea just looking at options would be mid July....I hear easy access and thought I read somewhere want all that difficult....my kid does 12-13 mpd in NC hills so figured should be ok as I find out west trails seem better graded for bikes or stock.

Images

Salty,

Last summer I section hiked the section of the PCT that includes the Tahoe Rim Trail. They coincide for about 50 miles. The section I really enjoyed was the Desolation Wilderness starting at the Echo Lake Resort. I might recommend just researching loop hikes through this area. Permitting is an issue you will need to look into. You will not be alone, this area is popular. The fishing looked good, although I did not bring my rod on this section.

Aloha Lake was especially stunning. Almost as pretty as Thousand Island Lake on the JMT which I know you have already seen. Lots of wildflowers and interesting Geology. I was there on July 24th. Still some snow on the northern side of the passes, not enough to be an issue. This year you might want to wait until August.

I am not sure of how long of a hike you are looking for, but with an 11 year old I would be thinking of low mile days and lots of time spent playing in the beautiful lakes in here. The Desolation Wilderness is a good place to slow down.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Quote Originally Posted by imscotty View Post
    Salty,

Last summer I section hiked the section of the PCT that includes the Tahoe Rim Trail. They coincide for about 50 miles. The section I really enjoyed was the Desolation Wilderness starting at the Echo Lake Resort. I might recommend just researching loop hikes through this area. Permitting is an issue you will need to look into. You will not be alone, this area is popular. The fishing looked good, although I did not bring my rod on this section.

Aloha Lake was especially stunning. Almost as pretty as Thousand Island Lake on the JMT which I know you have already seen. Lots of wildflowers and interesting Geology. I was there on July 24th. Still some snow on the northern side of the passes, not enough to be an issue. This year you might want to wait until August.

I am not sure of how long of a hike you are looking for, but with an 11 year old I would be thinking of low mile days and lots of time spent playing in the beautiful lakes in here. The Desolation Wilderness is a good place to slow down.
    Sounds like a great tenkara hike.....thx I'm just keeping all options open.....I'll be doing some homework.....appreciate the tips...

The altitude can be difficult for some people. It is a beautiful trail. Make sure you have permits for the required areas. The snow will be around for some time in on the trail. We love this trail.

Images

Water is somewhat scarce on the TRT. I cached water near a road crossing that goes up to Truckee. I thought it was a very easy trail, mile per mile. I think that would be a great first western trail, or even better may be the Wonderland trail.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Phlashlite View Post
    The altitude can be difficult for some people. It is a beautiful trail. Make sure you have permits for the required areas. The snow will be around for some time in on the trail. We love this trail.
    Thx just starting to research will definitely look into permits.....assuming it's not nearly as bad as JMT!

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Water is somewhat scarce on the TRT. I cached water near a road crossing that goes up to Truckee. I thought it was a very easy trail, mile per mile. I think that would be a great first western trail, or even better may be the Wonderland trail.
    Wonderland is also on the list....between the two which has more beauty mile per mile? I realize wonderland is much shorter which may be a plus for them....was thinking about two weeks on TRT.....1 week on wonderland for a slow pace for the wife and kid....worst case I take them to the Caribbean in July where I have a buddy who runs a bar on St.John.....then go solo in September for 3 week CT thru......if you throw enough crap on the wall something has to stick!!!! thx again

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Wonderland is also on the list....between the two which has more beauty mile per mile? I realize wonderland is much shorter which may be a plus for them....was thinking about two weeks on TRT.....1 week on wonderland for a slow pace for the wife and kid....worst case I take them to the Caribbean in July where I have a buddy who runs a bar on St.John.....then go solo in September for 3 week CT thru......if you throw enough crap on the wall something has to stick!!!! thx again

I hiked the Wonderland trail with my then ten year old daughter. We had a great time on a ten day itinerary. Do not underestimate this trail, excepting one stretch of maybe two miles, and some much shorter bits, it is all up and down. The scenery will not disappoint. No pooches, though.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I hiked the Wonderland trail with my then ten year old daughter. We had a great time on a ten day itinerary. Do not underestimate this trail, excepting one stretch of maybe two miles, and some much shorter bits, it is all up and down. The scenery will not disappoint. No pooches, though.
    Thx....I've heard its challenging would definitely take it easy on the kid.......

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Looking ahead to summer and another option is taking wife, kid and pup out west mid July to thru TRT. Both are weekend 40+\~ mile hikers. Looking at this as a good longer hike with the beauty out west...thoughts....

Challenging roller coaster. It's not like you get up to the crest and stay there. Lots of bail out pts and other things to see and do in the area.

Easy enough to get to Truckee CA on Amtrak from Sac or Reno Int AP areas. GHound stops in Truckee too. One can access the TRT from Carson City over Kingsbury Grade via a local bus system too.

East side(NV) which faces west is where the H2O has to be better planned because it's in a rain shadow. Longest H20 haul in this yr would likely be 8 miles IF you stay always on trail looking for water. East side, which faces west, also tends to generally melt faster than the west side which faces east but snow holds late at two places on the east side.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Good luck.
    Wayne

I'm thinkin water might not be such a big deal this year. The problem sections are on the east side, and a 10 mile stretch up north, Brockway to Mt Rose. Plenty of water on the west. Just check before you go. It's beautiful up there!

Default Thoughts on TRT as first long hike for wife and 11 year old...

you'll need a permit to go thru Desolation Wilderness on the west side. that's it for permits. and they require you to have a bear can going thru there -- at least they did a couple years ago. tho, when I went, nobody else I saw up there had one...

Images

I saw nothing on Bear can requirements in the Desolation Wilderness. I hiked through without one.
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

I'll take my chances without the can....looking at Miner's TRT info seems Tahoe meadows is a good starting point clockwise due to walking past 3 resupply points roughly 40 miles apart...assume we would spend the travel day in Reno at a hotel then looks like a possibility of getting uber to TM cheaper than a shuttle.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Challenging roller coaster. It's not like you get up to the crest and stay there. Lots of bail out pts and other things to see and do in the area.

Easy enough to get to Truckee CA on Amtrak from Sac or Reno Int AP areas. GHound stops in Truckee too. One can access the TRT from Carson City over Kingsbury Grade via a local bus system too.

East side(NV) which faces west is where the H2O has to be better planned because it's in a rain shadow. Longest H20 haul in this yr would likely be 8 miles IF you stay always on trail looking for water. East side, which faces west, also tends to generally melt faster than the west side which faces east but snow holds late at two places on the east side.
    Sounds like lots of great zero day options....thoughts?

I find it a shame that so many TRT thru-hikers post TRT pics without experiencing the Lake Tahoe shoreline. Check it out at Emerald Bay, Lake Tahoe Nevada SP, Sand Harbor, etc. There are rocky shorelines with very good water clarity where one can see well below the surface smoothed from glaciers boulders. The emerald waters in these areas is quite mountain stunning. Juxtaposed there are also sandy beaches to tan and soak.

I also don't see many TRT thru-hikers offering up pics of several of the waterfalls - Eagle, Cascades, Galena, etc. Maybe this is because they are so obsessed with bagging another XYZ Trail approaching their hikes as if thru-hiking is narrowly limited to just hiking?
    In mid July the waterfalls will be of high volume.

You might look into a SUP lesson and experiences or kayaking on Lake Tahoe which is IDEAL for beginners in one of the beautiful emerald green waters in various coves.

A Truckee River rafting or family tubing side trip on somewhat chilly waters, at that time of the yr, but nice on a hot July day might be something to look into.

Main St in Truckee has some very good eateries near the Amtrak Station. Very good coffee shops, health food store, etc.

Tahoe Meadows is a good place to start a clockwise TRT thru because it's at a moderate elevation allowing you to see trail conditions for yourself before you ascend to the highest locations which can(likely will this yr) hold snow into late July maybe even early Aug...Mt Rose for example...great 360* view but on a shortish side trail to the TRT proper. BTW, Mt Rose Hwy where you'll enter the TRT, should you decide on that starting TH, would require a shuttle or possibly leaving a vehicle in a lot. I'd check on the legality and appropriateness leaving a car there though. I've never done that. There is not hitchhiking in NV. This is enforced.

TRT thru-hiking/Desolation Wilderness permits are easier to obtain than JMT thru permits

IMHO, Reno is a second class NV gambling city. Most of the NV state budget goes to LV. Even Carson City, NV's state capital, plays second fiddle to LV. In and out of Reno, should you decide on passing through there is my suggestion. Carson City has two decent museums, and more gambling, but I wouldn't base myself out of either of these cities.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++