Default Los Angeles or San Diego?

IŽll hike the PCT for 12 days this end of month, and donŽt want to bring heavy winter gear, so could you guys advise me on a warmer southern section?

IŽll fly from Brazil, so it would be easier to be not so far from an airport, but if the stretch worth it, no problem.

Cheers,

Birdscope

Sao Paulo, Brazil

I don't think any hikers bring any heavy winter gear for any part of the trail. But if you want a nice warm part but not too warm for 12 days then maybe Idyllwild to El Cajon Pass. You should be able to find some way to get to Idyllwild and then El Cajon Pass is right on extremely busy I-15 so you should be able to find someone who can get you there as well.

With the heavy snow late March might not be the best time for the San Jacintos and San Bernardinos. Section E, north of Agua Dulce would be nice, though. IMO this is actually the best time of year to do it. Temperatures are cooler and water much more available than during the thruhiking season. Campo to Hwy 74 would also be a good one this time of year.

BTW, it is Cajon Pass, not El Cajon Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    With the heavy snow late March might not be the best time for the San Jacintos and San Bernardinos. Section E, north of Agua Dulce would be nice, though. IMO this is actually the best time of year to do it. Temperatures are cooler and water much more available than during the thruhiking season. Campo to Hwy 74 would also be a good one this time of year.

BTW, it is Cajon Pass, not El Cajon Pass.
    Looking the map gwschenk, good place, not far from LA, access beside a road. Is it too steep, many roadwalks for 12 days?

There are no big climbs in Section E. The Powerhouse Fire closure has a short roadwalk, I think, the PCTA website would have that info. In March and early April you'll be hiking in rolling hills with seasonal streams and springs still flowing. The LA Aqueduct faucet might be turned off but that's not a problem.

Come May and June you're talking some serious heat here.

There are no big climbs in Section E. The Powerhouse Fire closure has a short roadwalk, I think, the PCTA website would have that info. In March and early April you'll be hiking in rolling hills with seasonal streams and springs still flowing. The LA Aqueduct faucet might be turned off but that's not a problem.

Come May and June you're talking some serious heat here.
    Thanks gwschenk, I have the flight to LA next week. Do you know by chance some paid trail angel or shuttle to the trailhead?

Quote Originally Posted by birdscope View Post
    Thanks gwschenk, I have the flight to LA next week. Do you know by chance some paid trail angel or shuttle to the trailhead?
    If it's Section E you could take from LAX Greyhound to the town of Mojave or Amtrak to nearby Tehacapi to hike south from various PCT main road crossings to Agua Dulce. At AD prearrange with the Saufleys or at mile 476 the Andersons to be dropped back off at a Ghound or Amtrak station to get back to LAX. Since this is rather last minute arrangements that might be a good approach to consider. You'd be in good hiker comapony at either of these PCT trail angels. There's usually a hoard at the Saufleys with even more than a few prepper assistants awaiting the mass arrival. You could start going south also at Walker Pass after arriving in Lancaster on either GH or Amtrak and use Kern Transit bus to Isabella dropped off near or at Walker Pass since Section E is only a 110 miler and you said you have 12 days. The hiking isn't massively strenuous in Section E so your MPD avg could/should? be respectable enough to cover the distance.

Understood Dogwood, usually I like Nobo, if you think it'll work, I'll try a GH or Amtrak as near as possible to White Heather, and from there north towards walker pass. I'll leave from Brazil, any way to have a pct handbook in LA?

Order one of these PCT guidebooks. http://www.guthookhikes.com/2010/11/...he-pct-is.html Obviously Guthook, a thru hiker, has his personal desires in what he wants in a guidebook just like others including myself or you as a section hiker might want other things.

I agree with Guthook. The Wilderness Press books are not the best experienced thru-hikers option when doing cookie cutter PCT hikes but they do contain valuable info like sections that hold snow, water locations reliability(might be important since caches might be iffy in March), etc that I've found helpful for pre hike planning PARTICULARLY if hiking in heavy snow yrs or outside of typical time frames. I personally would not and would not rec carrying any of these books on a thru-hikes or section hike in their entirety or to solely rely on for maps or mileage way pts.

This is also popular.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/paci...clickid=3x1948

I've seen this sold in several REI's(outdoor gear store in the U.S.) in Cali including one of the REI's in SD and the REI in LA. IMO I wouldn't want to be coming from Brazil and not have a guidebook in hand pre hike and not have Halfmile's maps perused thoroughly before hitting the TH for a PCT section hike.

For good free maps get Halfmile's PCT maps for the PCT sections you're interested.

Agree, will try to have an adress in LA to ship a guide, or go to REI in the city and try my luck.

I've always used and relied on the Wilderness Press books, since the '80s. I always cut out the pertinent pages for whatever I'm hiking. The maps ARE getting a little small for my old eyes, though.

I've always used and relied on the Wilderness Press books, since the '80s. I always cut out the pertinent pages for whatever I'm hiking. The maps ARE getting a little small for my old eyes, though.
    Thank you so much gwschenk!!

Excellent suggestion, E was indeed amazing section. Still some streams flowing on the most arid parts.

The desert was blooming with wildflowers, and resuplly worked quite well.

I hope one day youŽll be in Latin America to return the favour.

All the Best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Order one of these PCT guidebooks. http://www.guthookhikes.com/2010/11/...he-pct-is.html Obviously Guthook, a thru hiker, has his personal desires in what he wants in a guidebook just like others including myself or you as a section hiker might want other things.

I agree with Guthook. The Wilderness Press books are not the best experienced thru-hikers option when doing cookie cutter PCT hikes but they do contain valuable info like sections that hold snow, water locations reliability(might be important since caches might be iffy in March), etc that I've found helpful for pre hike planning PARTICULARLY if hiking in heavy snow yrs or outside of typical time frames. I personally would not and would not rec carrying any of these books on a thru-hikes or section hike in their entirety or to solely rely on for maps or mileage way pts.

This is also popular.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/paci...clickid=3x1948

I've seen this sold in several REI's(outdoor gear store in the U.S.) in Cali including one of the REI's in SD and the REI in LA. IMO I wouldn't want to be coming from Brazil and not have a guidebook in hand pre hike and not have Halfmile's maps perused thoroughly before hitting the TH for a PCT section hike.

For good free maps get Halfmile's PCT maps for the PCT sections you're interested.
    You too Dogwood deserve a big Thank You!!

Your advices helped me a lot. Anderson gave me a ride from the amtrack station to agua dulce. DidnŽt find guidebooks when in LA, but was very lucky to find all topo maps at Jeff and DonnaŽs house in Agua Dulce, and downloaded HalfmileŽs app. With that stuff, I was ready to rocknroll.
    Like I said to gwschenk, I hope IŽll return the favour if you come to Latin America.

All the Best,

birdscope

Quote Originally Posted by birdscope View Post

Excellent suggestion, E was indeed amazing section.
    Glad you enjoyed it, birdscope! California is an amazingly beautiful place.

++ New Posts ++