WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need Help Finding Trail Runners

I'm new to the UL world and am trying to ditch the heavy leather boots for some trail runners. A friend of mine has the Altra lone peak 3's and he seemed to like them, so I got the mids. I thought it would better ease me into it, having the taller shoe. The problem is I have a wide foot, so they seemed good. The heel fits good, the wide toe box is great, but it's really narrow in the middle of the shoe. It feels like there's an egg under the arches of my foot. I even tried taking the insoles out, and I still fell that 'egg' there.
    I've been looking, but everything seems real narrow and doesn't offer wide sizes. I saw new balance makes trail runners and in wide sizes, but I've read that people have had sticks impale the sole of the foot, so the idea of that rock plate is looking even better, especially since I'm often in very rocky areas.

To sum it up, I'm looking for something light weight, non-waterproof, wide sizes, with a rock plate.
    I don't care much about drop, the altra zero drops felt fine, it was just too narrow, and they'll be used for backpacking. I did just get my base weight down to 12lbs, so I'm not super heavy anymore. And if possible, not something incredibly unsightly. I don't care how the shoe looks or the particular colors, but some of these shoes I've looked at seem to have half of the rainbow on it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?

I've been hiking in New Balance trail running shoes for years (I need a 4E width). I've never had anything sharp come through the sole of the shoe in all those years. This model comes in a 4E width and is on sale:

https://www.joesnewbalanceoutlet.com...10-v3/mt510cg3
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

When it comes to hiking there isn't a more personalized piece of gear than footwear and what is best for your feet. You might need to visit a Good Feet store near you to drill down to what the best shoe option there is for your feet, otherwise you could be throwing money away on shoes that " feel good " while walking around the store but cause misery to your feet on the trail.

I would research all options, including a footwear store that specializes in getting customers into proper fitting shoes and inserts, if needed.
    I learned this a few years ago the hard way when I decided to get a pair of runners so I could get back into running again. The best shoe that was recommended by a non shoe store wasn't the best fitting shoe for me although they were darn good quality shoes.
    Everyone's feet are different and the purchase of shoes meant for outdoor recreation should not be taken lightly.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Find a store that specializes in running shoes - a store that has staff that will spend time and analyze your gait to determine the best shoe - not only for your foot size, but also for your gait. My local store had a person spend 45 minutes with me. After that, I completed a 100 mile section and FOR THE 1st TIME - I did not get any blisters! They said my problem was that I needed a shoe that fit my wide toe box and narrow heel box - Solomans!!!

Below is what my feet used to look like after each hike...

IMG_0253.JPG
    Last edited by shelb; 03-13-2017 at 23:31.

I don't have any decent stores like that around here. The other problem is, I don't really even know that many companies to look at, and my internet searching skills are quite bad.
    I was looking at new balance again, and the 910v3 seems interesting. Looks lightweight, breathable, good toe protection, rock plate, & aggressive sole pattern. Pretty much what I was looking for. I guess I didn't look at them well enough.
    Anyone has experience with them?
    http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-bal...ey_with_Yellow

The quest for the perfect shoe almost needs a sticky.

The issue is that what is perfect for one person's feet, isn't for another person's feet. Even the same shoe, in different versions (Cascadia -- I'm looking at you), works for dramatically different people.

It is probably worth a trip somewhere.

That said, if New Balance shoes have worked for you, the ones you are looking at may work well for you.

New Balance seems to cater to wide feet. I've been wearing various NB footwear for years.

I have been wearing NB trail runners since they created the category with the original 901AT. Pretty consistent is that the weight and durability has consistently trended downward. That's fine if you plan to be running well groomed trails but in the whites the newer models tend to get shredded quickly. The 900 series has generally been the vanguard of the trail runners but a few years ago the design shifted fairly radically toward ultralight with no regard for durability. I ended up with one of their 900 series trail runners a few years ago and took them out of the box (with my montrail insoles) on a 5 day baxter state park trip which included the usual summit dayhike and a 2 night backpack. At the end of the trip the shoes were already showing signs of serious wear. I still have them in rotation but strictly for day hikes as I wouldn't dare use them on another multiday trip. I have come to the conclusion that their current 900 series trail runner designs should be regarded as limited use disposable shoes if used in the whites (or most of maine). I still do use new balances for the widths (13 EEEE) but have found I need to move around in the model lines to find more durable shoes (similar to the original trail runners of past). I find if search for their "AT tread" (which is a fairly durable tread) that it usually pops up several models. I avoid most of their designs that have heavy use of light mesh as I find the mesh abrades quickly. This usually narrows it down to two or three choices. Its too bad that NB has abandoned long distance hiking public as their earlier NB AT runners were the heavy favorite for years on the AT.

Taking a quick look on the NB website it looks like the current model for me is this one http://www.newbalance.com/pd/new-bal...ze=13&width=4E. Hard to beat the price. The other option is a http://www.newbalance.com/pd/reflect...el_and_Thunder but I am concerned that the outer fabric is going to shred. They usually roll out new models this time of year so realize that the model you want may disappear soon.

The next caution is they don't make a lot of their 4E and larger sizes. Once they do a run, that's it and they do sell out quickly. It pretty rare to find those larger size 4Es on sale anywhere much into the summer season. I always make sure I have one pair in advance in stock for that reason. An AT hiker should not depend on being able to buy another pair half way into a thru hike.

The other thing to consider is that NBs run small. Montrail offers a medium volume and low volume moldable insert, even their low volume takes up more volume than the useless stock insert which has zero arch support. That means if in doubt go to one size larger and get a reasonable insert with an arch support when you try them on. The inserts last far longer than the shoes, I have had my original Montrail inserts for over five years and they are still fine for hiking. I expect I have gone through more then five pairs of trail runners in that same five years but expect I tend to hike more often and on occasion bushwhack which can really shred footwear.

Finally, there is no such thing as waterproof hiking shoes, NBs are generally designed to ventilate and dry quickly. I have had luck running OR minigaiters in the spring with them adjusted tight to the shoe in wet conditions. Dirty Girl type gaiters IMHO are great for hot weather dusty hiking but not designed or intended for wet and muddy conditions.

I have wide feet as well and have had good luck with Salomon XA Pro 3Ds (they come wide). The Salomons offer a bit more support that your typical trail runner, but are not a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have transitioned into Altra shoes across the board, for road running, general walking, and trail runners. They feature zero drop and a foot shaped toe box, perfect shoe for re-gaining your natural stride. Very comfortable, and the founders of the company are trail runners. I have the Superior 3.0 as seen in the link above, but they have different versions with differnent features. Hope that helps. I have used Montrail, and New Balance in the past, and I wouldn't go back after wearing Altra's.
    Maine2Georgia.com
    A Southbound Adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Saprogenic View Post
    I'm new to the UL world and am trying to ditch the heavy leather boots for some trail runners. A friend of mine has the Altra lone peak 3's and he seemed to like them, so I got the mids. I thought it would better ease me into it, having the taller shoe. The problem is I have a wide foot, so they seemed good. The heel fits good, the wide toe box is great, but it's really narrow in the middle of the shoe. It feels like there's an egg under the arches of my foot. I even tried taking the insoles out, and I still fell that 'egg' there.
    I've been looking, but everything seems real narrow and doesn't offer wide sizes. I saw new balance makes trail runners and in wide sizes, but I've read that people have had sticks impale the sole of the foot, so the idea of that rock plate is looking even better, especially since I'm often in very rocky areas.

To sum it up, I'm looking for something light weight, non-waterproof, wide sizes, with a rock plate.
    I don't care much about drop, the altra zero drops felt fine, it was just too narrow, and they'll be used for backpacking. I did just get my base weight down to 12lbs, so I'm not super heavy anymore. And if possible, not something incredibly unsightly. I don't care how the shoe looks or the particular colors, but some of these shoes I've looked at seem to have half of the rainbow on it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction, please?
    Just a quick thought- sounds as if you may have a flat foot/collapsed arches? If you thought the altras were good otherwise with the exception of the middle that's a good possibility. I'd again echo the advise of others to invest the time to locate a good running store... you listed NJ as your location not rural Idaho so guessing there is something somewhere.

Regarding the rock plates: Many shoes are lumped into the "minimalist" category. Many truly minimalist shoes are like slippers with 10mm or less of material between your foot and the trail. Some of those thin shoes have seen injuries, and some folks get a puncture in the sides of any trail runner when sharp sticks are left at trails edge when the trail edges are trimmed with busheater type equipment. This injury is usually from kicking into, not directly stepping on something like that. A rock plate won't protect you from stepping on a "nail".

The rock plate is there to prevent bruising from pointloading when you land hard on a pebble or hike frequent rocky sections in shoes with low stack heights. The rock plate spreads the load basically. Altra doesn't sell rock plates for shoes like the Olympus, and they make them removable for shoes like the Superior.

Stack height is the total thickness of the base of the shoe. As map man mentioned... with typical running shoes you will have enough stack height that you don't really need the rock plate. And as I said- a freak accident won't be eliminated by one.
    So moral of the rock plate story... unless you're buying a truly minimalist shoe ( total stack heights below 15-20mm)... I wouldn't consider it as something to prevent you from buying a shoe that fits.

If nothing else- nobody ever heard of a rock plate until a few years ago- and most of us have been hiking in tennis shoes for a long time.

I actually found some shoes that work. Thank you. I often hike the PA/NJ sections of the AT, which if you've ever hiked that section, know it has a few rocks on the trail. Switching to such lightweight footwear, I thought the rock plates would be a good idea since I see days of just stepping on pointy rocks. And I was right. They helped out a ton.
    I went with the Topo terraventures. They have that wide toe box like altra, but a very flat insole. My feet are very flat, and the slightest arch in the shoe was painful. I bought 8 pairs of shoes before I found the topos. They're lighter that the altras, seem to hold up better than the altras, they are well vented, for how thin the material is it's surpringly tough. Many stabs with sticks and rocks and they seem fine. The grip is great. Plus they don't have every color on the rainbow on a pair of shoes which I thought was nice. You just have to replace the laces. The ones that they come with won't hold a knot and they keep coming loose. New laces solve that.
    I bought a pair of the waterproof terraventures as work shoes, and they seem to fit a bit tighter. Not narrow, but not quite as roomy.

++ New Posts ++