WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Article: How to Get Kids Involved in Your Hiking Adventures

AT Troll (2010)
    Time does not wait for you, it keeps on rolling.

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

There's some very helpful info here. Additionally, I'd add map reading to the list of skills to teach. You can consider distances, elevation changes, shelters, water sources, viewpoints, and other interesting features when planning each day. I've done this with my 7-year-old granddaughter, and she really enjoys it.

My wife and I with our 8 year old daughter recently completed the Blood Mountain section in GA. Although a day hike it was my daughter who I considered turning around for about halfway up from Vogel State Park. I thought it would be too much for her even though I have never turned around when hiking solo. She looked up at the top of the mountain and said" we have come this far, we are going the rest of the way". Against my suggestion she hammered it out to the top and back like a trooper and it is a trip I will never forget. If you get your kids excited about what hiking truly is (great point above about leaving electronics) they can show you a thing or two when you may doubt their ability as a watchful parent.

Images

We started hiking with our kids when they were about 5 months (old enough to keep their head up and not need to be nursed every 2.5 hours. Started with my grandkids out for their first hike when they were 2 and 3. I should them about puff balls which they loved to stomp on to watch them poof. They raced each other to the next white blaze and loved looking for little orange salamanders. We did not get many miles in but they loved it.

If anybody reading this and is still not swayed to go outdoors with your kids then check out my instagram. https://www.instagram.com/colorado_outdoor_family/ ... It can be done. If you want more advice or trail trip ideas for the Colorado area, hit me up. I am always willing to spread the love.

my dad begged me to go hike with him. i never did and always regretted it- particularly now that i've experienced a passion for it in later life. sad. get your kids on the trail young for the memories.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

One piece of advice I would add would be to allow time for your kids to explore.
    The 1st day of the 2nd camping trip I ever took my 1st son on was a miserable day because of his attitude. But what created the attitude was when we skipped hiking down a side trail to see a waterfall because we were pressed for time. Had I built in extra time into our schedule, we could have followed his desire to explore the waterfall and the rest of the day would have been enjoyable.

I'm Alex, and I track issues of interest to backpackers on the Tahoe to Whitney Website. While centered on the High Sierra, we track news and research on birds, bees, bears, & trees, the climate, Ice & snow, and of course treat the topic of getting kids out on the trail, here:
    https://tahoetowhitney.org/forum/tra...ng-high-sierra
    The, "Thing," is that the social, "Box," we raise kids within does not develop their physical, mental, nor psychological skills. Backpacking, and hiking in Nature does develop these socially-negelected skills. I monitor the daily publication of scientific research, and I filter out the kid news & research of interest, as well as that on our changing environment. This research offers more reasons to get and keep yourself and your kid(s) engaged in Nature! Happy Trails!

I totally agree that if parents have a love for hiking, they will automatically introduce their kids to it as a fun and active sport they can do as a family. I wish more parents would try hiking with their children and maybe some hikes with hubby while Grandma babysits. : )

++ New Posts ++