WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I used my gaiters on a long trip in Mexico and they were LIFE SAVERS from the cactus. I was pulling a plethora of spines and thorns from them every time I got back to camp. But being that there isn't really a cacti problem on the AT, I've been debating. Everyone's input has been great though! It's really helped me with my de

I used my gaiters on a long trip in Mexico and they were LIFE SAVERS from the cactus. I was pulling a plethora of spines and thorns from them every time I got back to camp. But being that there isn't really a cacti problem on the AT, I've been debating. Everyone's input has been great though! It's really helped me with my decision, thank you!

My dirty girl gaiters come along on every trip. I don't even notice that I are wearing them. Otherwise all that grit that ends up in your socks and shoes adds up quick and blisters follow if you aren't diligent about removing it.

If snow or rain, I use and recommend them to keep mud and debris out. Your feet are still gonna get wet, especially if your shoes aren't waterproof, but it will cut down on stuff getting into your shoe and your laces coming untied in thick overgrowth. make sure you get something breathable like goretex though. I went cheap with my first pair and had annoying sweat issues. My wife loves the dirty girl gaiters that I bought for her.

Quote Originally Posted by meghanc View Post
    Are they worth the extra weight? If so, maybe only in certain areas at a certain time of year so I can just mail them in?
    There are 2-3 oz gaiters.

Yes to the second question. Wearing low cuts in 4"+ snow Shortie gaiters can be an asset on the AT. As Slo-go-en said when it's muddy they can be an asset as well.

If persistent rain is in the forecast on multi days during the colder shoulder seasons or during winter I'll consider layering a pr of WP eVent or NeoShell Shortie gaiters under 3.5 oz rain pants over low cuts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++