WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Springer

Default Springer

Wanting to know, as an older beginner, how difficult the approach trail to springer is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 61 and hiked it this year as part of a section hike. It was about par for the course for that part of Georgia.

From the top of the falls to Springer, it's pretty mellow. There's some vertical but most if it is easy path and well graded.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    From the top of the falls to Springer, it's pretty mellow. There's some vertical but most if it is easy path and well graded.
    Thank you

I did it last year at 61.
    Dam way to start from the approach trail up the steps at the falls.

But the reward is a great view on top.

The best thing to do is to find a trail near you with similar distance and elevation change. Go hike it and see how you do. I have seen people on the approach trail from Florida that really struggled. It's honestly not that bad other than the steps at the falls, but if you haven't been practicing on some hilly trails then I'd highly recommend doing so.

Default Springer to NC/GA

Need info as a older hiker. How is the trail from Springer MT. to NC/GA line....how difficult is it? (will not be hiking the approach trail) I would like to hike it sometime this spring...nice slow hike and enjoy the surroundings. I am considering myself a section hiker because I plan to do a few more hikes on the AT. I am hoping I can do this hike in 10 days or less. Am training and researching gear. Any info would be appreciated. Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by trobichau View Post
    Wanting to know, as an older beginner, how difficult the approach trail to springer is?

It depends on several factors:

Where one starts. The Approach Trail started from the Arch has 600 or so constructed wooden stairway steps plus who knows how many stone and earthen and other wooden steps to the top of Amicalola Falls. One can also drive to the top of Amicalola Falls eliminating those 600 or so steps and who knows how many of those other steps. This makes a huge difference.

What shape one is in. There are actually competitions where FKT's are recorded to the top of the falls, doing Approach Tr one way, and yo yo-ing to Springer Mt and back. Some crazies are even known to trail run to the top of Amicalola Falls and back as part of their training.

How much one is carrying. This makes a huge difference no matter if the Approach Tr is hiked south bound - SOBO or northbound - NOBO

Weather. Ice can form on steps making them extremely slippery.

For me, crowds at certain times of high usage especially during late spring and fall and especially in Amicalola Falls SP.

Springer to the GA/NC line is only 78 miles so you only have do 7.8 miles a day. 10-12 miles a day isn't too hard to achieve.

Of course, the GA/NC line is in the middle of nowhere so you either have to continue north for a few more days (not recommended, the trail out of Bly gap is a stairway to heaven) or turn around and go to back to Woody Gap, adding an additional 9 miles. Or you could just stop at Woody Gap and call it good. If you stop at Woody Gap, it can be done in 7 days without much trouble.

There are many factors which determine how easy or difficult any given person finds a section of AT. Weather is a big factor. A period of bad weather makes things much more difficult. Fitness and how heavy a pack your lugging are also big factors.
    Compared to other parts of the AT, GA is moderate, although a lot of beginning hikers will dispute that. If your used to rugged NH and Maine trails like I am, GA is a cake walk.

I would wait until things quiet down, which means waiting until the end of April or early May. However, pollen levels will be off the charts that time of year, so if you suffer from any allergies, bring plenty of antihistamines.
    Not only will there be less people to deal with, the weather will be significantly better.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Springer to the GA/NC line is only 78 miles so you only have do 7.8 miles a day. 10-12 miles a day isn't too hard to achieve.

Of course, the GA/NC line is in the middle of nowhere so you either have to continue north for a few more days (not recommended, the trail out of Bly gap is a stairway to heaven) or turn around and go to back to Woody Gap, adding an additional 9 miles. Or you could just stop at Woody Gap and call it good. If you stop at Woody Gap, it can be done in 7 days without much trouble.
    Dick's Creek Gap is 8ish miles south of the border.

There's a forest service road about 3 miles south, Charlie's Creek Road in Blue Ridge Gap. I've used that to insert/debark the trail after hiking to the border as well.

The first two climbs and descents going north out of Bly Gap are really fun for sure =)

Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    The first two climbs and descents going north out of Bly Gap are really fun for sure =)
    "Fun" is one way to put it...

++ New Posts ++