WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Stove fuel near Kent CT?

Hi;
    I want to hike north from Pawling NY to perhaps Dalton MA, then take Amtrak back to NYC from Pittsfield MA.
    I will be taking Metro North from GCT to Pawling or the AT station. I am aware that any kind of fuel is not permitted in GCT or on MNCR trains.
    I could just take my chances with carrying a 4oz can anyway, but I would prefer not to.
    My stove uses ISO-PRO gas. What would be my best bet for picking some up after I get off the train at Pawling?

Thanks for the help

Arden

There's a small outfitter in Kent, mentioned in AWOL.

It would never have occurred to me that you could not bring IsoPro on the Metro North. I don't know any place closer to a road crossing than the one in Kent. Maybe there is something in Bull's Bridge? Not sure about that one, but you come closer to the road than you do in Kent (unless you were already stopping there to resupply).

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    It would never have occurred to me that you could not bring IsoPro on the Metro North. I don't know any place closer to a road crossing than the one in Kent. Maybe there is something in Bull's Bridge? Not sure about that one, but you come closer to the road than you do in Kent (unless you were already stopping there to resupply).
    Yeah, canisters are technically banned on trains, though that restriction seems incredibly stupid.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Get an alcohol stove and a bottle of Everclear 190 proof. They do let you bring booze on the train, yes?

Arden, I'm planning a similar hike for June. Consider a Peter Pan Bus from any of several Massachusetts trail towns back to NYC. This might be faster/cheapter than than going to Pittsfield. Never had a problem with butane on trains.

Maybe someone could convince that garden store (I think it is) right by the train stop on the AT to get a few cans and have them available? Would be a logical spot to do it, if they aren't allowed on the trains (unless no one else knows that is the rule?).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BillyGr View Post
    Maybe someone could convince that garden store (I think it is) right by the train stop on the AT to get a few cans and have them available? Would be a logical spot to do it, if they aren't allowed on the trains (unless no one else knows that is the rule?).
    Thru-Hikers' Companion - 2017
    "Native Landscapes & GardenCenter; 991 Route 22, Pawling, NY 12564, (845) 855-7050; owner Pete Muroski, a hiker and hiker-friendly offers free outdoor shower, use of restrooms; mail drops accepted. Snacks, cold drinks, and hiker supplies. Open Apr 1–Dec 24 9–5;"

Would be a good idea to call ahead and check.

Also in Pawling (THC 2017 again)
    "Gear to Go Outfitters, (917) 301-8238, <www.geartogooutfitters.com>, will deliver to Trail in N.Y."

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMan View Post
    There's a small outfitter in Kent, mentioned in AWOL.
    I wouldn't rely on the Kent Outfitter. They are veeerrry skimpy in terms of equipment on hand. The store is very small, and half of that is an ice cream store.

I would definitely call them and check. They do accept mail drops so you could send one ahead to them.

Mail drop a canister or two to the Garden Center. Your local post office will help you label your package for mailing the canisters.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries

Thanks guys;
    I would just take a can of IsoPro on the train, but considering all the terror alerts lately, I don't want to chance it. I'll call the garden store. But sending a can by USPS? Will they even take it?
    Not sure when I am going to do this section. I am running the Vermont City Marathon on May 28th, and haven't gotten enough training, so I'm not sure about doing a hike now. May just try to run on the A.T. instead? Maybe run from the A.T. train station in Pawling to Kent? It's under 20 miles, so I could do it in a day. Then I could also check out the supply in Kent.
    Stepinwolfe; Thanks for the suggestion of Peter Pan. That does sound easier than Amtrak, since I would have to take the train west from Pittsfield to Albany, then down to NYC.

Quote Originally Posted by Arden View Post
    But sending a can by USPS? Will they even take it?
    Yes, they will. But don't expect it to be a simple affair. I had to convince my post office that it could be mailed, and then they had to look it up in their rule book (it will help a lot if you can google for the exact regulation so they know where to start looking), and then they had to do the special packing and marking. Don't seal the package before you go to mail it.

It took me about 45 minutes, all told, to mail the damn thing, but I guess it was worth it.

Also it's ground so give yourself a week at least for it to arrive. Although mine was perfectly fine and I mailed it around Christmas, when they predicted it would never arrive on time.

Journal Entries

That sounds like a lot of hassle. I would prefer to try the garden store. In any case, I could get by without stove fuel, and possibly without the stove completely. I can live on Gorp and other non-cooked foods, and get my hot meals in towns. Of course, if the weather is cool, it's always nice to have something hot for both the evening and morning. I do like my coffee in the morning...

Also, I wanted to say that when I said I can run from the A.T. train station to Kent, I was thinking only one direction. That would assume I could get Uber to get me back to the station, or perhaps there is a bus from Kent to NYC?
    I do know that Uber can pick someone up in CT and drop him off in NY, but not the other way around.

Images

I am pretty surprised by the idea that it isn't okay to take IsoPro on Metro North trains. I have done so probably 20 times with not one thought about it.

Also, FWIW, my husband commutes daily on Metro North and has done so for 17 years. Even in the worst times right after 911, they weren't searching people or their bags. It's hard to really even imagine a scenario where that would happen. In the worst-case circumstance, you could always plead ignorance - certainly that's what I would do since before now I WAS ignorant!

I would just pack the thing. There is no public transportation in or near Kent, or all of the AT in CT for that matter. I forget if the Garden Center had canisters, but they had a lot of common items hikers need, so I suspect they would have them. Somehow I managed to spend $20 there.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I've ridden on Metro North plenty of times, no one cares what is in you bag as long as it is with you. Just don't leave it unattended.

Here's a hi tech suggestion.
    Call the Garden Center. End speculation. Post the answer here to help future generations. On your phone. You know. The thing you use for everything except maybe making phone calls.
    Just a thought.
    Good luck on your marathon.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

++ New Posts ++