WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries

Default Upcoming Wonderland Trail hike in August 2017 ...

With temps that can fluctuate from low 40s all the way to low 90s during summer, could people here critique my gear list? I plan on completing the 93 mile loop in five days, four nights.

Thanks again!

Sadly, hamocking is limited on the WT. Don't bother. Bears there are not problematic, except for delaying you while they eat berries near the trail and you have to wait for them to move on. If you have long johns and shell pants, no need for insulated pants. By Mid August, bugs should be calming down. Ice axe is not needed by August, if ever. Regular stuff sack works for food on the parks "bear" poles. Unless you are truly in dire peril, a fire will get you cited, at least. Five days is a challenging itinerary unless you are crazy fit and competitive.

It's a fabulous trip. have fun.
    Last edited by Feral Bill; 03-11-2017 at 02:17.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Garlic
    Images

I'm not very good at evaluating some else's gear, since I would never go hiking with some else's pack or food. But FB's comments above sound spot-on. Including the pace. I hiked the WT a few years ago in three nights out, but I'd just come off a PNT hike where 7000 vertical feet and 25 miles per day was pretty normal. And the WT still seriously got my attention at that pace. The trail could hardly be better maintained, but the climbing, especially on the west side, is really tough.

I had to grin at the description of waiting for the bears to munch berries. Don't worry, there are plenty to go around and they don't mind sharing too much.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    I'm not very good at evaluating some else's gear, since I would never go hiking with some else's pack or food. But FB's comments above sound spot-on. Including the pace. I hiked the WT a few years ago in three nights out, but I'd just come off a PNT hike where 7000 vertical feet and 25 miles per day was pretty normal. And the WT still seriously got my attention at that pace. The trail could hardly be better maintained, but the climbing, especially on the west side, is really tough...
    All this.

Since this is the UL Forum: Why a 36 oz Triplex? R U going solo or doubling up? Why two Epi pens? 13 oz on water treatment? Could drop 12 of those Ozs with AM drops. One map of the WT is enough if you are staying on route with maybe even a couple alternates on named trail. Already had the NAT Geo TI Mt Rainer NP map so used that effectively. This is a signed trail quite obvious in Aug. Bring bug dope for biting insects anyhow. Agree with FB that MB Thermawrap insulated pants aren't needed if you're willing to layer silk wt bottoms under the running shorts for cool times and/or have the Pat Houdini wind pants. With the other tops you are hauling there may be no absolute need for the Pat Nano Air jacket but I suspect you're eager to have it on a hike since it's new. Agree with your assessment it's either the Pat Nano Air jacket or the fleece. If rain is forecasted I'd bring the fleece. Since this is a short trip weather can be assessed fairly accurately. Have a base go WT thru kit and then research it a day out and amend. If favorable weather drop the umbrella and ZP Rain mitts. 6.4 oz pillow?

Ideal trail for trekking poles.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    All this.
    .... If rain is forecasted I'd bring the fleece. Since this is a short trip weather can be assessed fairly accurately....
    Don't trust the weather forecast. On the Wonderland, always expect rain. It can be bright and sunny at Sunrise and pouring cats and dogs at Mowich River. In August, there will be afternoon thundershowers every afternoon on the west side. Be prepared for them.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by dad love mom View Post
    With temps that can fluctuate from low 40s all the way to low 90s during summer, could people here critique my gear list? I plan on completing the 93 mile loop in five days, four nights.

Thanks again!
    There is no need for a Guidebook or Topographical Maps. The trail is well marked. One needs to pay attention between Panhandle Gap and Indian Bar, but the rest of the trail is obvious.

The only "map" I carry is attached. It is helpful to know the elevations and miles between camps.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Shutterbug

Journal Entries

Thanks! Feral Bill, I truly appreciate hearing your perspective!

We think we should be able to handle the five day itinerary, but ... We're basing this on our handling of a Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim hike we did last year, which was the same amount of elevation gain and loss but over half the distance. We complete that hike, with all of it's crazy ups in four day, three nights. The ups and downs of the Wonderland Trail, while I'm sure still challenging, are spread out more over the 93 miles of the trail. Hence, our rationalizing ...

Journal Entries

Thanks, Shutterbug! I saved it to my Google Drive!

I find significant roller coasters as is the WT Loop harder than a R2R2R as far as elevation profiles. Know both.

TU Shutterbug.

Journal Entries

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to think of the pillow as my only luxurious item. It's the only pillow that is comfortable enough for side sleeping with my wide shoulder frame.

I agree with you about the Triplex and water treatment. I hike often with my wife, which means there's a lot of compromise and give-and-take. When we first started backpacking, she purchased the water filter. I honestly don't have the heart to tell her we should swap it out. In terms of backpacking UL, in a perfect world I would be using a bivy sack and tarp. Unfortunately, my wife is not keen on bivy sacks or tarping it, and when the idea of it is brought up, she doesn't like the idea that she is exposed without me directly next to her in a similar tent; more so, back when we were in the market for a tent (last summer), she really loved the Triplex because of the space; I okayed the decision because it really is a light piece of gear for its size. Would I prefer a tarp + bivy or Hexamid Solo Plus? Absolutely! But ...

The Epi Pens are to manage my body's systemic reaction to a bee sting. That's a pain in the arse to carry around as well!

I'm also torn on the fleece decision. The MH fleece pullover is warm and lightweight, but it's not as warm as my Nano Air. I'm contemplating the Nano Air more though for the mornings, any freaky cold weather, and for stops (which there won't be many, considering we like to hike from sunrise to sunset, while incorporating mandatory fifteen-minute breaks every hour).

All this.

Since this is the UL Forum: Why a 36 oz Triplex? R U going solo or doubling up? Why two Epi pens? 13 oz on water treatment? Could drop 12 of those Ozs with AM drops. One map of the WT is enough if you are staying on route with maybe even a couple alternates on named trail. Already had the NAT Geo TI Mt Rainer NP map so used that effectively. This is a signed trail quite obvious in Aug. Bring bug dope for biting insects anyhow. Agree with FB that MB Thermawrap insulated pants aren't needed if you're willing to layer silk wt bottoms under the running shorts for cool times and/or have the Pat Houdini wind pants. With the other tops you are hauling there may be no absolute need for the Pat Nano Air jacket but I suspect you're eager to have it on a hike since it's new. Agree with your assessment it's either the Pat Nano Air jacket or the fleece. If rain is forecasted I'd bring the fleece. Since this is a short trip weather can be assessed fairly accurately. Have a base go WT thru kit and then research it a day out and amend. If favorable weather drop the umbrella and ZP Rain mitts. 6.4 oz pillow?

Journal Entries

I find significant roller coasters as is the WT Loop harder than a R2R2R as far as elevation profiles. Know both.

TU Shutterbug.
    Hmmm. Wow! I don't know what to expect now! I guess I'll see when I get there, ha ha ha! I did the R2R2R in July of 2017, which meant fast hiking, carrying plenty of water, and knowing the hours of the day NOT to be on the trail (or in certain sections) due to the extreme heat of the inner canyon.

If your speculations are correct, we're in for quite the challenge! Thanks for the heads-up!

Journal Entries

The Nano Air is the most breathable puffy I've ever owned; I owned the hoody before the jacket, but bailed on the hoody after losing 28 pounds last winter. I'm bringing it more for stops and the like, not for its newness. It'll be well worn before I get on the WT (fortunately or unfortunately ... ).

I won't wear anything with feathers - I'm allergic to those as well!

All this.

Distance is another variable comparing the two. You had the July heat and blazing sun though on the R2R2R. A lot of the perception is based on how you break up your days on both those hikes. I'm relating to you how I do it so that was my mistake. I like a one day R2R. 2 day R2R2R and 4 night WT.

Have a great hike.

TU Shutterbug.
    I do both trails fairly often. I do R2R2R in 5 days (with two short days) and the Wonderland in 8 or 9 days. There is a lot more elevation gain on the Wonderland Trail than the North Kaibab. If I remember right, there is 22,000 feet of cumulative gain on the Wonderland and approximately 5,800 X 2 on the R2R2R.

Another difference is rain. On one of my Wonderland hikes it rained steadily for three days. It rarely rains more than an hour or two on a R2R2R. Rain really slows me down.

PS: The reason I take 5 days on the R2R2R is the availability of the duffel service between the South Rim and Phantom Ranch. I send my pack down on a mule. On day two I hike with my pack to Cottonwood Camp. On day three, I leave my tent and camping gear at Cottonwood and hike to the North Rim and back to Cottonwood. On day four, I hike with my pack back to Phantom Ranch, On day five, I send my pack up on a mule and hike back to the South Rim. It makes the R2R2R a fairly easy hike. One the Wonderland, you will carry your pack all the way, but can cache some food at Ranger Stations along the way.
    Last edited by Shutterbug; 03-11-2017 at 17:26.
    Shutterbug

I was aiming for a 5 day, 4 night completion of the WT last September. I was in pretty decent shape, having backpacked regularly all summer in the Rockies. The WT is relentless. It's upupup or downdowndown. I would say less that 10% of the trail is a gentle grade or flat. I bailed with about 30 miles left to go, for a couple of reasons (some really cold damp weather was bearing down for the last couple days of the trail), but my knees were deeply unhappy with me, so that was a factor. I figured I would go back for the last section on another trip. I was physically capable of finishing, I just responded to the siren call of spending a couple days exploring the Olympic peninsula and trying tasty local brews and fresh seafood. A five day itinerary is pretty aggressive and challenging, but doable if you're stubborn enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Could you do a one day R2R in July? Wow! I could never!

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dad love mom View Post
    ...We think we should be able to handle the five day itinerary, but ... We're basing this on our handling of a Rim-to-Rim-to-Rim hike we did last year, which was the same amount of elevation gain and loss but over half the distance. We complete that hike, with all of it's crazy ups in four day, three nights. The ups and downs of the Wonderland Trail, while I'm sure still challenging, are spread out more over the 93 miles of the trail. Hence, our rationalizing ...
    Pay very close attention to what Shutterbug says about the math here: A R2R2R entails about 11,000 of climbing, the WT about twice that. I've noticed some trails have started listing "up and down" elevation changes, while others, like the WT only count going up. It's a very important distinction, and pretty much blows your pace assumption out of the water. That said, a five-day WT is certainly possible with lots of preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    Pay very close attention to what Shutterbug says...
    He knows the WT better than anyone else Whiteblaze.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    He knows the WT better than anyone else Whiteblaze.
    Thanks. Incidentally, if you are interested in pictures of the Wonderland Trail, there are lots on my website -- http://www.davemcclung.com
    Shutterbug

++ New Posts ++