WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default DIY Sawyer squeeze adapter

I didn't think this plastic adpater was worth $9.

https://www.amazon.com/Sawyer-Produc.../dp/B018NJC1A6

A trip to the recycling depot turned up compatible caps. I put them back to back inside an old pill bottle cut down with scissors. Some 2 part epoxy, wait til set, drill the hole and done.

Well, the adapter used to be $9. Now I see it's 2.35. I still say let's reuse some plastic!

Journal Entries
    Images

I paid $5 for a tornado tube on Amazon. I didn't have to cut it on either side. Fits my Sawyer Mini perfectly with no leaks, and also fits my Platypus perfect with no leaks. Gravity works perfectly fine. I've also never had issues with the Sawyer and the Platypus bottles, and I've used it with 1L, 2L, and 3L Platypus reservoirs. I read about people having problems all the time with this stuff. Maybe I'm just blessed and happened to buy the right tornado tube.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Images

Nice fix JFK. I just love it when we can recycle stuff into usable DIY items.

I've read that older platypus bags have compatible threads with Sawyer. All my platys are about 8 years old and work. I think they switched their threads about 1-2 years ago, right when they came out with their own filter to compete with Sawyer. Not a coincidence I think.

Also, my connector does leak when trying to backflush with it. I think it will be ok for mid-trip flushes, but will use the syringe for a harder flush whenever at base camp. Sawyer recommends doing a hard backflush so you don't create channels of least resistance through the filter. Not sure how much of an issue that is.

This can be done with Smart Water bottle tops. If remove both of the Flip tops and one of the blue drinking spouts, the remaining blue spout acts as a rubber connector between the two caps. Glue them as above. I saw this on YouTube under 'sawyer squeeze hacks'
    "May the four winds blow you safely home ..." ​Garcia, Kreutzmann, & Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by JFKinYK View Post
    Well, the adapter used to be $9. Now I see it's 2.35. I still say let's reuse some plastic!
    It will cost more to buy the tube of glue than to just spend the $2.78 current price on Amazon.

We had some 2 part epoxy going bad, so this was it's last chance to be useful. If you don't have any glue/epoxy around, I'm sure a neighbor or friend will.

I saw a factory sawyer connector for like 5 bucks

It looks like it's back up to $6

the price on amazon of $7 seems pretty steep for what you get. Nice post JFK. On a side note about back flushing filter, I've always found it cleans out best if you lightly tap the filter on something to dislodge dirt before back flushing.

++ New Posts ++