WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Lotsa commercial UL tents like BA use the pu coated sil in 10d. Its what allows them to tape seams.
    Thanks for the response Muddy, I realize companies are using this blend it but Im interested in how it holds up. Many years ago all tents where made from PU coated fabric. The PU coatings of yesteryears did not like being stored. On more than one occasion I have opened up a tent that was delaminating with a strong vomit smell. Since I moved to Silnylon and Cuben this problem has not happened. So I'm kinda reluctant to go back to PU coatings.

Journal Entries

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by krshome View Post
    Thanks for the response Muddy, I realize companies are using this blend it but Im interested in how it holds up. Many years ago all tents where made from PU coated fabric. The PU coatings of yesteryears did not like being stored. On more than one occasion I have opened up a tent that was delaminating with a strong vomit smell. Since I moved to Silnylon and Cuben this problem has not happened. So I'm kinda reluctant to go back to PU coatings.
    Yep, ive had pu coated polyester and nylon peel, delaminate, decompose over years. Ive thrown out daypacks, ski jackets, rain jackets, and cheap tents. But I imagine there are various quality levels. Ive got pu coated gear 25 yrs old or so thats still Ok. Avoid hot attics for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    There's more to shelter than weight.
    Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Especially for weekend use. Surprisingly I have found I carry a lot more weight when I go for a weekend than when I go for a week.

that said, since the tent has worked very well for you in the past, the size, etc. seems to have worked for you.

Good info here. Thanks everyone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++