WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Rumor has it that the Post Office might become one of their sponsors

No drones in USFS land, right?

Gotta worry about Amazon sponsoring them....

A nice trail name for the kid might be Ping Pong

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    A nice trail name for the kid might be Ping Pong
    I was all set to pop in a list of scatological names for the kid. And then, I realized I feel bad for the kid. No social interaction with other babies for...five or six months...no social interactions with humans outside of the trail. Except for frantic visits to the doctor or a motel to rest...little interaction with relatives...no faces to become familiar with....for five or six months...

WWDSS?

Kids are tough. If they can spend 9 months inside their mother, another 6 months on her back can't do any harm... apart from spinal injury

Rumor has it that the Post Office might become one of their sponsors
    Cool, free shipping!

Kids are tough. If they can spend 9 months inside their mother, another 6 months on her back can't do any harm... apart from spinal injury
    To the mother?

There's also the possibility of concussion and a contrecoup injury to add to the babies teething woes

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    I was all set to pop in a list of scatological names for the kid. And then, I realized I feel bad for the kid. No social interaction with other babies for...five or six months...no social interactions with humans outside of the trail. Except for frantic visits to the doctor or a motel to rest...little interaction with relatives...no faces to become familiar with....for five or six months...

WWDSS?
    1 year olds don't socialize with each other. Have you ever seen 2 one year olds play TOGETHER? No. They play seperately. And socializing with adults is fine for a 1 year old.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    "Plus, she’s still breastfeeding six times a day, which means less food to carry. " Not a sign of clear thinking. Mom will eat ten times the dry weight to make that milk, compared to formula and whatever other food Ellie would eat.
    Glad I'm not the only person to realize this.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    1 year olds don't socialize with each other. Have you ever seen 2 one year olds play TOGETHER? No. They play seperately. And socializing with adults is fine for a 1 year old.
    I raised two kids, PP. One year olds don't play with one year olds. But they do look at them, touch them, coo at them and are able to recall their faces. It is important that babies see faces near their own age, at all stages of development. Isolating a baby from age 1 to age 2 with no contact with others near their age is detrimental to social development.

Socializing with adults is fine. However, it is the recognition of familiar faces and familiar voices that is key for social development in infants. If the only faces the child sees are it's two parents, and all the other faces are random non-repetitive, the child may have difficulty when the child sees adults other than it's parents repeatedly after non-exposure. The child may mistakenly bond with the first repetitive face it encounters, since the only repetitive faces it has known are it's parents...that's called indiscriminate attachment. Also, when a child only deals with adults and the child encounters others of it's age, the child feels more mature and often shuns playing with these children as they seem immature to the child.

Nothing good can come of taking a one year old on the AT for six months. Nothing. Not one dang thing.

Well, at least for the baby. Looks like the parents are getting free publicity, swag and $$...

Last time I checked, that was called exploitation....

-

reality check - there is a lot worse parenting going on than this

the baby herself ain't hikin' nothin'. false headline

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the baby herself ain't hikin' nothin'. false headline
    Its just crawlin'

Images

I have 2 kiddos under 3 I've carried both on trails in backpacks........Two problems I foresee right off......

#1 Diapes leak when compressed. My wife and I have used disposable and cloth they both do it. This will soak your back your baby's clothes and the backpack in urine and or feces. #2 Your baby being stuck in the backpack for prolonged periods of time everyday will most deffinately develops a diaper rash.

I'm guessing they are planning on hanging their dirty diapers on a bear line?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, all I can think of is the number of times I fell and the high percentage of those I ended up flat on my back on top of my pack. Yeah, some folks don't fall...but nobody I thru hiked with! Good grief, there is so much that could go wrong.

Journal Entries

Though TO ME, this seems like one of the most glaringly obvious cases of parental negligence and/or ignorance I have ever witnessed or heard of, as a young parent(s) I know that no one will be able to dissuade them or convince them that this just isn't worth it. Its outright selfish to even try it. A good number of parents realize that when you decide to have children, YOUR life, dreams, wants and sometimes needs will all be put to the side in the interest of what is best for the child. Sadly, not all parents realize this.

I only hope that none of the thousands of terrible things that can go wrong here, actually happen, and that they remain safe throughout this venture. Should something in tragic happen, they will likely never be able to come to terms with the cost they paid for their ill conceived adventure.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Journal Entries

Wow!
    There sure are a lot of critics out there!
    Must be the time of year, all that cold weather leaving hikers in their comfy armchairs, whining and bitching like a bunch of old farts ...
    Time to lace up and get some exercise!
    Sure, reality will hit them hard but hey, just because your baby relentlessly pukes down your neck and your boobs dry up due to dehydration and all you hear is a screaming baby in your ear instead of crickets and birdies....that's the fun of the trail right?
    Best of luck to them on their crazy adventure !

I was cross county skiing with a friend who was carrying a toddler in his pack, sound asleep. Down went dad, launching junior in an arc ending in a face plant in the snow. Junior was not amused. It's a lot funnier 30 years on then it was at the time.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I was cross county skiing with a friend who was carrying a toddler in his pack, sound asleep. Down went dad, launching junior in an arc ending in a face plant in the snow. Junior was not amused. It's a lot funnier 30 years on then it was at the time.
    That could have been me. About 31 years ago we took our 18 month old daughter on a cross country skiing trip to Vermont. I did ski a flat loop with my daughter on my back. Never went down but the expressions on the faces of some of the guests at the lodge was priceless.
    More walking, less talking.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++