WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

I have tented with a little one. Humidity at night? Baby doesn't sleep. Bugs at night? Baby doesn't sleep. Baby gets bug bit all day? Baby doesn't sleep at night. Teething? Baby doesn't sleep? When does baby sleep? When mommy/daddy are carrying the little one in the pack. It's how I used to get my exercise and have my son take a nap when he was that age. I've tented with a little one, 4 years old, after he spent all day wandering the woods. He slept. Mostly. I hope it goes better for them. And I'm glad they won't be near me when I am on the trail.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I don't know too many hikers that haven't fallen occasionally. My first worry was what will happen when you take a tumble carrying a baby. Next I can see a thread about whether babies should sleep in shelters!!
    I think they have missed the golden window of opportunity. The best way to do this would be for mom to get pregnant a few weeks before hiking, hike the trail (yeah wouldn't that be fun?) and she would still have 3 months left at the end of pregnancy to rest up. The child would be born and could already boast having hiked the trail. Much more efficient that way.

Images

They really need to get a NEW UL child. They could trade their USED, last year's model, 18 lb Ellie in for a brand new <5 lb preemie and lighten up by 11 lbs. Throw in the smaller lighter carrier needed, and reduced weight of smaller sized clothing, and they'd be absolutely crazy not to trade that sucker in before stepping a foot off Spring---er, Greenville---er, wherever the AT comes within 10 minutes of Greenville, SC.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    They really need to get a NEW UL child. They could trade their USED, last year's model, 18 lb Ellie in for a brand new <5 lb preemie and lighten up by 11 lbs. Throw in the smaller lighter carrier needed, and reduced weight of smaller sized clothing, and they'd be absolutely crazy not to trade that sucker in before stepping a foot off Spring---er, Greenville---er, wherever the AT comes within 10 minutes of Greenville, SC.
    Chuckle chuckle chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Sadly, the dingos really did eat her baby...and she went to prison for years for it...damn dingos...

Yeah...a one-year old on the trail....something that baby will remember forever. What parent wouldn't want their one year old to have these memories?

It's not like the parents are completely self-centered and prone to projecting their desires unto their blissfully ignorant offspring...or that they don't blink when placing a 1 year old in harm's way... they've done their research, lot's of Sherpa's take their baby's trekking, right?
    the one that always gets me is the eggits that were wading around in a pond in Florida and a gator grabed their toddeler...damn shame.

Journal Entries
    Images

Three pages deep.. I'm guessing most people think this is a bit much. I agree. Buddy Backpacker is one thing, but this is a whole new level of stupid.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

Quote Originally Posted by -Rush- View Post
    Three pages deep.. I'm guessing most people think this is a bit much. I agree. Buddy Backpacker is one thing, but this is a whole new level of stupid.
    honestly, do I really care about this...not really, hope they have a fine hike.

PS
    ...but it sure as hell isnt something I'd ever wanna do!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    You win.

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Wow, what an accomplishment! An article in Outside without actually having done anything??!! Way cool.

I'm pitching a story now to Outside... "I'm-a gonna..." the origin of all great journalism.

Id wager outside mag didnt go looking for them
    They likely went looking for publicity
    When people doos that, theres an angle
    Attention, money, both

Do I haz to ask ifn theres a gofundme involved?

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    The article says the trail is just ten minutes from their home in Greenville, SC. Did I read that right?
    You read it right but if you read their blog they have moved from Greenville to Roanoke. Apparently Outside missed that fact.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Id wager outside mag didnt go looking for them
    They likely went looking for publicity
    When people doos that, theres an angle
    Attention, money, both

Do I haz to ask ifn theres a gofundme involved?
    They say that 1/4 of their food has been accounted for from sponsors. They are requesting sponsorship/donations and hopeful that clothing/gear sponsors are on the way.
    More walking, less talking.

Images

From their page,

"1- Selling our possessions. A thru hike is expensive and one of the top reasons hikers have to stop is because they run out of money. We don’t want that to happen! So on top of saving extra cash here and there, we’ve also sold a lot of our things. Including our house. This also minimizes our responsibilities while we’re on the trail.

2- Requesting sponsorships/donations. This has been very time consuming, but well worth the time. We are incredibly thankful for our food sponsors and hopefully gear/clothing sponsors on the way. As of now, we have about 1/4 of our trail food accounted for by sponsors. Thank you all so much."

Yeah, make a baby, quit your job, sell your house, move back in with Mom and Dad, and solicit for funding to hike the AT. Sounds just like the kind of behavior from new parents that should be encouraged.
    [Note to my children: DO NOT attempt this. You will be locked out.]
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Default Meet the First Baby to Hike the Appalachian Trail - Outside Magazine

I am so glad my kids didn't know 25 year old me. I was arrogant, overconfident, and usually completely wrong.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Images

Meet the First Baby to Hike the Appalachian Trail :

Meet the first baby to be carried on AT sounds more accurate. There is possibly one or two miles the kid would hike from beginning to end.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This reminds me of that kid that was going to "not just break, but shatter" the A.T. Self supported record a few years back. Ego, Sponsors, Media Attention, and then just faded into the sunset.

Don't get me wrong, I wish them the best just like I do for all hikers, but I'm not expecting much from this one.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

I just recall a couple of "Father of the Year" nominees. One at Stairway to Heaven (PA? NY?), another at a similar place. Incredibly steep, rocky, bad up and/or down. BOTH FotY nominees were carrying an infant in their arms, no poles, no carrier, nothing. I was having problems just with a pack. One small stumble, one large tragedy.

All the best - for the kid.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Journal Entries
    Images

As a past thru-hiker and. Father of three I just can't emagine anyone attempting a thru with a baby. There are just so many dangers that they will be exposing this baby too. I would give them about a 2% chance for lasting more than a week.
    Grampie-N->2001

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    I would hate to find a baby inside a hiker box
    Funny!....

Journal Entries
    Images

The odds of a fall on a 5 or 10 mile hike are relatively small.

Multiply those odds by a 100 or more and it is a virtual given.

On the chance the Quirins are reading this and cannot be dissuaded from this hike, I would encourage them to look into a helmet for their child. And perhaps eye protection.

Those companies, writers an individual who are encouraging this trip are doing the child a disservice, I think.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++