Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I cant really start at Campo early, my permit is for May. Yeah i have mushers wax for her paws. i might experiment with socks/ducttape

also, my intention is to hike at night in the desert. I just want to do some research on how this is going to affect Murph if at all before i commir

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I was talking to a guy about a year ago that did lots of hiking in rough and rocky terrain with his dog(s). He put duck tape on the dogs' feet instead of booties and found it worked exceedingly well. He didn't wrap the feet in duck tape, but rather just placed a piece on the bottom of each foot. Apparently, he's used the trick with many different dogs and found it to be consistently effective.

I asked the guy lots of questions and he seemed pretty down to earth and experienced, and not just blowing hot air.
    Sounds like you'd end up with a lot of pieces of sweaty duct tape along the trail. It's a shame they don't make some kind of kevlar mesh boots. All the boots I've seen seem to be for snow/winter.

Check out Kyle Rohrig he did AT and most of PCT with his pup. I've read his AT book and it's very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Sounds like you'd end up with a lot of pieces of sweaty duct tape along the trail. It's a shame they don't make some kind of kevlar mesh boots. All the boots I've seen seem to be for snow/winter.
    Apparently no. It doesn't come off all over the trail. But then again, I haven't tried it myself yet.
    As for summer booties, they certainly make them. They're not Kevlar, just booties for your dog, kinda like Vibram 4-fingers, without the fingers . . . i.e. light mesh top and Vibram branded sole.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Check out Kyle Rohrig he did AT and most of PCT with his pup. I've read his AT book and it's very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Met Katana and Kyle. If you read Kyle's blog he states he had to take Katana to the vet for cacti stuck in her paw. This was one of two occurrences I've known of dogs this happened to on the PCT in the Mojave Desert. It's why I advised to be aware, as best as can be, of cacti like Cholla in an earlier post. I was also aware of the HEAVY hauls between water and Katana Kyle was making. This is one reason it was suggested to him and Woobie to hike during the cooler periods - super early morning starts, early afternoon shaded siestas, hopefully researched to occur at known water sources, and picking up hiking after 5pm, and with leashed dog alertness night hiking. DON'T allow a dog to wander off at night! Have seen many Western and Green Mojave rattlers lurking in trail side bushes almost imperceptibly noticeable until...

Yeah i have spoken to Kyle a bit through Facebook about the challenges he faced. He was very accommodating.

Dogs are not allowed on several hundred miles of the PCT. Does this not end the conversation?

Oh yeah, and another thing, I assume the PCT hikers the year you go are just going to have to step in dog sh-t for 2,700 miles?

And your dog is trained not to sh-t around water sources which in the Sierra is almost everywhere?

Hello Alpine Kev!

No amount of arguing is going to fix your problem. lets just call at i am a inconsiderate ******* and you are clearly right. I feel like that will keep this short.

Quote Originally Posted by Wooobie View Post
    lets just call at i am a inconsiderate ******* and you are clearly right.
    Well you want to take wildlife on a trail for hundreds of miles where that wildlife is clearly specifically prohibited so yes, I agree, you are an inconsiderate as-hole. I don't believe your honesty will save you though. Unlike the AT there are ranger stations and rangers strewn out across the hundreds of miles where you are not suppose to have a dog. You can just admit to the ranger you are an inconsiderate as-hole and see if that suffices but I doubt it will. You can try telling him you are from Texas which he will probably understand a little better but that is kind of saying the same thing.

Thank you for classing up the place.

Thank you for classing up the place.
    I think you started it with "even though I know I'm not allowed to and will be breaking the law I'm going to bring my dog with me".

You clearly dont understand the law.

Please spend some time googling them and linking links.

Please spend some time googling them and linking links.
    It takes no time at all. Even someone from Texas could do it. See:

https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/pets.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/pets.htm

Now why don't you try it for Crater Lake and North Cascades. I can spend 5 seconds researching for you but 10 seconds is just too much of my time.

As i suspected. you did not read the thread. Have a good day.

As i suspected. you did not read the thread. Have a good day.
    Yes I did. Including all the irrelevant stuff you posted about Afghanistan and how hot it gets in Iraq.

move along little buddy. shooo shoooo
    I hike with a dog. Please, tell me why i shouldn't.

move along little buddy. shooo shoooo
    Me leaving won't make you taking your dog on the PCT any less illegal.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++