WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hiker #

Default Hiker #

I'm registered for a march 11 start and was wondering do I have to do approach trail to get a thru hiker # or can I get a # on springer mountain

what is " # "?

Quote Originally Posted by tommymillard9@gmail. View Post
    I'm registered for a march 11 start and was wondering do I have to do approach trail to get a thru hiker # or can I get a # on springer mountain
    the approach trail is not the AT

Sign the log at the park......or not. Hike the approach, or not. Get to the top of Springer, either by walking, or a shuttle, or.....sign the registry in the rock (or not), take a photo and start. The number you reference, I think is just the sequential number in the voluntary sign up. ATC attempting to keep records and show people that might want to start on a less-busy day, where those days are.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I believe you have to sign in at the park office to get a "number" which is just how many people signed in at the park office.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries
    Images

When/If you sign in at the Amicalola Falls State Park office, they will tell you what # hiker you are that has registered.
    "Though I have lost the intimacy with the seasons since my hike, I retain the sense of perfect order, of graceful succession and surrender, and of the bold brilliance of fall leaves as they yield to death." - David Brill

I'm well aware the aprouch trail is not the AT I see people refer to be hiker #342 or 411 for the year and didn't know where they were getting them from

Thanks so you only get a # if you go to the amicalola

Thanks so you only get a # if you go to the amicalola
    your # might be 531 let's say, but over 700 or more may have actually started

Numbers referenced are either from the number of hikers who signed in at AF HF or the ranger station in BP. The parks will use that to estimate how many others reached that point and either didn't sign in, passed by while the office was closed or I believe in the case of AF they just double it to account for those getting dropped off at Springer

At the ATC office in Harper's Ferry, they take your photo, write on it your name, address, trail name....and yes, it is numbered as in "458th this year"..... So, log numbers. the ATC puts them in a book and years from now, you can stop buy, pull the 2017 book and find your photo to show your family. At the end of the year, ATC publishes some numbers. "2207 signed in at Springer.....1153 at ATC HF.....and 731 applied for 2000 miler status". so....lots of "numbers"!
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

The Approach Trail is purely that. Officially you can start from Springer either from the Approach or trek up Springer from the Forest Road. Neither is really required. Heck I heard people start without going up Springer. They head straight NoBo from the forest road.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

It is my understanding, the number you start out with (at either terminus) would change when checking in at Harpers Ferry. You might be able to get some, very rough, idea of attrition to that point but, why? It's not a race, HYOH.
    Having said all that, I will be checking in at AF (and getting my number) prior to hiking the approach trail. My tentative plan is to check in and weigh my pack the afternoon before I actually start my hike in earnest. As I will be staying at the lodge, I will do the stairs with my pack after checking in. Then, get an early start continuing on the approach trail from the lodge in the morning.

Does the lodge sell gas canisters and Z seats?

#385 from Amicalola Mar5th #1596 @ Harpers Ferry Jul 17th

++ New Posts ++