Default PCT 2017 Flip-Flop Ideas

Hey everyone, was hoping to hear your thoughts on potential options for a flip-flop on the PCT this summer. I didn't think I would have a window to go for it until recently, and all of the NOBO permit dates were full up until May 23. I don't have experience with hiking through snow, so from reading some other threads on this forum, I think that a SOBO (starting early July) might be too risky. I've taken the May 23 start date for now, but I think I will have to flip at some point, particularly given that I'll have to take ~6 days off around June 25 to attend a family event. So a few (somewhat scattered) questions:

1) Just in terms of safety, late May in the desert appears to be very hot but doable (assuming 15-20 mile days at first, walking in early morning/evening, being smart with water, etc.)?

2) I was initially thinking of heading out from Campo, then flipping up to Canada in mid-to-late August and hiking south to wherever I left off. Would this make any sense, or is finishing in Oregon/Nocal also pretty much impossible in mid-to-late October?

3) Alternatively, any ideas for flip-flop options that would end in the desert while still avoiding early-season snow elsewhere?

Thanks a bunch! If it helps, I'm a guy a few years out of college- I basically have weekend backpacking experience but not LD

Images

I believe your option 2 is a very good plan. You will want to monitor snow in the PNW to make sure you didn't flip too early in August. Your next decision will be where to flip from. Ashland, Mt Shasta area or I-80 north of Tahoe would be some logical places. I believe Mt Shasta may be a good balance between getting flipped early enough and not leaving a particularly snowy area from the last miles. (Tahoe). Keep in mind that you will need to access the Northern terminus from Harts Pass not Canada.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Northern California gets hike ending snow later than Oregon/Washington, so I recommend ending there. Sierra City would be an ideal flipping point for this, but there is no transportation there without long hitches. Further north, from Burney, you can get a bus to Redding which has Greyhound/Amtrak. Or a few more days north, Dunsmuir, has Amtrak. I think waiting to Ashland is too late and you are in Oregon.

But given when you want to hitch, Lake Tahoe or Truckee may work better (and there is transportation), but you are still a few days in the Sierra with its fall snow.

Though any hiking in Washington in October is a crap shoot with the weather. There have been many years when people are finishing there in mid October. A few even later. But you run the risk of being unable to finish if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Since you are starting so late, you might want to start in Big Bear. You can get there via public transportation. The first section doesn't have any water alerts which is nice to start out. You would probably have time to reach Canada before winter closes in, then, if you choose, you can take Amtrak south again and do the last miles south from Big Bear in October.

Thanks for replies, really appreciate it!

Let's say I were to head out from Campo on May 23, make it to KM by June 25 (in time to go to this family event for a week) and then after resuming from KM ~July 1 or 2, flip from somewhere between Burney and Dunsmuir/Mt. Shasta (depending on how good a pace I'm going). In that case, I'd aim to be up at Hart's pass by ~August 25 and then finishing up the hike by ~October 20 (back in Burney or Shasta area). I realize there are a number of what-ifs regarding snow, particularly at the end, but does that seem feasible/any reactions to that?

And Spirit Walker, could you explain the water alerts comment? Does this just mean that from Big Bear, there are fewer long stretches without water?

Quote Originally Posted by pctquestions View Post
    Let's say I were to head out from Campo on May 23, make it to KM by June 25 (in time to go to this family event for a week) and then after resuming from KM ~July 1 or 2, flip from somewhere between Burney and Dunsmuir/Mt. Shasta (depending on how good a pace I'm going). In that case, I'd aim to be up at Hart's pass by ~August 25 and then finishing up the hike by ~October 20 (back in Burney or Shasta area). I realize there are a number of what-ifs regarding snow, particularly at the end, but does that seem feasible/any reactions to that?
    33 days to KM is probably a bit ambitious for someone on your schedule. I would suggest planning your break at Tehachapi Pass, where there is much better transportation too.

Also, consider doing your flip from Chester. The SIR bus can take you to Redding and Greyhound. I would want to hike as much of WA as possible in August, plus Hat Creek Rim is far nicer in October than in August. You might also consider flipping from Truckee.

++ New Posts ++