WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The constant change in shoes (and shoe lasts) is really an annoyance.

MuddyWaters has too much truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfraidOfBears View Post
    Another vote for new balance, been using MT610's for awhile now, i also really like the fresh foam hierro, but the lack of traction on the latter makes it unsuitable for winter/slippery conditions.

Thought those went out of production.

Quote Originally Posted by PennyPincher View Post
    I just bought a pair of New Balance Minimus today. I was psyched when I tried them on. Bought them. Put them on at home and wore for several hours. My feet hurt. I guess I'm going back to the store tomorrow.
    If you've never worn zero-drop/minimal shoes before, then yes they'll hurt your feet. I'm on my third pair of minimus, but I also do short runs in Five Fingers as well. It's all about conditioning your feet and legs to adjust to the different angles and pressure points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Hello, hello, is this the online dial up a perfect shoe Whiteblaze Shoe Dept?
    Perfect Shoe? Keep dreaming.
    If the perfect shoe ever exists, it will be discontinued and replaced by the Imperfect Shoe before you wear out the first pair of The Perfect Shoes.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Ethesis View Post
    The constant change in shoes (and shoe lasts) is really an annoyance.

MuddyWaters has too much truth.
    He isn't alone. Chinese built athletic shoes are shrinking. Materials are being reduced to cut costs and maintain price points.
    I've been wearing 8 1/2 USA made dress shoes and size 9 Italian made hiking boots since forever. Decades even. All leather.
    My current off trail running shoes are size 10 1/2. The recent Merrill shoes are 9 1/2 and snug.
    The shoe industry has gone berserk.
    Wayne

Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    If you've never worn zero-drop/minimal shoes before, then yes they'll hurt your feet. I'm on my third pair of minimus, but I also do short runs in Five Fingers as well. It's all about conditioning your feet and legs to adjust to the different angles and pressure points.

I went from VFFs exclusively 24/7/365 for about 3 years to the Nike Free to the minimus last year. They revamped the design just "enough" that it puts pressure in one particular spot and changes my foot position. I did find a pair today that I think will work. Still a Minimus, just not as aggressive in that one spot.
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

I went from VFFs exclusively 24/7/365 for about 3 years to the Nike Free to the minimus last year. They revamped the design just "enough" that it puts pressure in one particular spot and changes my foot position. I did find a pair today that I think will work. Still a Minimus, just not as aggressive in that one spot.
    Got it, I ran into that as well. I had the original version of the Minimus, and I noticed a different feel on the next pair I got as well. Not sure exactly what they did, but the certainly put a softer sole on it because the very first ones lasted forever, which doesn't sit well with shoe companies it seems.

Thought those went out of production.
    forgot the v5 at the end

MT610v5

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Got it, I ran into that as well. I had the original version of the Minimus, and I noticed a different feel on the next pair I got as well. Not sure exactly what they did, but the certainly put a softer sole on it because the very first ones lasted forever, which doesn't sit well with shoe companies it seems.

Seems the v1 is back That's what I picked up yesterday and can't wear. I like the v3. I just bought the v4. The v4 is softer than the v1 but not as soft as the 3. So maybe you can go back to the v1!
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Seems the v1 is back That's what I picked up yesterday and can't wear. I like the v3. I just bought the v4. The v4 is softer than the v1 but not as soft as the 3. So maybe you can go back to the v1!
    Wow, thank you for the update! I think what I have now is the 3. The feel of the sole is fine for me, it's just that they definitely wear quicker.

I really wish that they rated all the shoes by how wear resistant the treads were. There should be a standard for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    I really wish that they rated all the shoes by how wear resistant the treads were. There should be a standard for that.
    Hard & slick = durable
    Soft & sticky = traction
    Take your pick. I choose traction.
    YMMV
    Wayne

For most of what I do I get enough traction from any shoe I use.

I really like cross trainers. Some are great. Some are good for about 200 hours of walking.

These days I am wearing trail runners. Current pair I like.

The basketball shoes put my knees out of alignment.

Took me a while and some PT to fix that.

I loved the way that Lone Peaks felt on my feet. They were originally invented for bad knees.

They hurt mine. Cheap NB shoes started to collapse early on me.

So I am trying another shoe. It seems to be better.

But I would rather have the trouble now than while hiking.

And I'm learning a lot.

And hoping to avoid shoe blow out leaving me to buy the only pair in a store that fits me. (Which is how I ended up with the cheap NB shoes--a discount discontinued shoe--but my shoes had blown out and it was those or nothing. I've always had good experience with NB otherwise ).

And hoping to avoid shoe blow out leaving me to buy the only pair in a store that fits me. (Which is how I ended up with the cheap NB shoes--a discount discontinued shoe--but my shoes had blown out and it was those or nothing. I've always had good experience with NB otherwise ).
    That's exactly why I tend to stay away from any thick soled shoes, especially "air" shoes. Also, shoes with too thick of soles may last a little longer, but unfortunately that's because there's more sole to wear. If you start wearing one side over another, you may not catch it until it's too late and they've already thrown off your knee alignment.

When you find a shoe that really really works for you, buy them by the 1/2 dozen.
    Wayne

I've started with a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D shoes, maybe 30-40 miles on them so far, just walking around town and doing some hiking. I like them. Very supportive, switching from boots was literally painful for a few weeks as my arches adjusted to the new shoes, but so far so good. They've very breathable, I can feel wind blowing on my feet when I go outside.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Hard & slick = durable
    Soft & sticky = traction
    Take your pick. I choose traction.
    YMMV
    Wayne

I want fairly deep lugs. Traction and tread life. That eliminates a large portion right there.

Mimimal wt, moderate drop, eliminates a lot more.

Leaves only a few candidates really.

I'm surprised that approach shoes don't get more attention here.
    No. Actually I'm not surprised at all. Most folks read about trail runners and that's all they know.
    I'm something of a contrarian. I graduated from off trail boots to off trail runners.
    If my current shoes don't work long term, I'll give approach shoes a try.
    Or walking shoes even. "It's only walking." Right?
    Wayne

Brooks Cascadias for me. I went through three pairs last year on a thru hike (Cascadia 10's and 11's). I have a narrow heel and low-volume foot, so many shoes just won't work for me, but if you are similarly built, they are well worth consideration. I'll never wear boots again except in the winter. I was worried that I would miss my boots in the Smokies (late March, early April), but Cascadias and some good Darn Tough socks served me well. I usually have problems with my extremities getting cold, but my toes were NEVER an issue for over 2,000 miles. My fingers were another story, but I digress. A pair of breathable trail runners, combined with some good dense (I think density is Darn Tough's secret) socks kept my feet relatively comfortable even when moist.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++